Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
There is something confusing me with my Carbon Copy Cloner. I backed up my Macintosh HD yesterday and today I installed Opera Web browser. And then after I decided to restore the Carbon Copy Cloner image from yesterday. So I then rebooted my Mac and selected to boot from the USB Hard Drive where my Carbon Copy Cloner image from yesterday resides, but when I loaded the Carbon Copy Cloner image from my external Hard drive, and type opera in the Finder, it says OPERA TODAY is listed! But how can that be when I never installed Opera on the image from yesterday? :eek:

And when I type Opera into Spotlight, it also shows up there! But HOW and WHY? If I booting into an image yesterday, how can Opera have copied itself over to my image?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did you select delete files/folders on the destination drive within CCC? I think by default its not selected so any newer files/folders will not get removed.

Edit: CCC uses rync to copy files/folders, it doesn't create an image file so any files on the destination drive will remain unless you specify a different course of action

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I might be reading this wrong, but did you actually erase the old partition on the internal disk before searching for Opera? If not, it's probably finding the version on the internal drive even though you're booted external.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
In addition, today when I booted the image from yesterday it had Google Chrome missing, but WHY? I only removed Chrome from the hard drive this morning, yet when I boot the CCC image from yesterday which had Chrome installed, it's missing from the yesterday backup image.:eek: HOW? WHY? Why does it seem like what I am doing today on the Mac Hard drive affects the backup CCC images as well?

----------

I might be reading this wrong, but did you actually erase the old partition on the internal disk before searching for Opera? If not, it's probably finding the version on the internal drive even though you're booted external.

So when I search a file in Finder from my booted external hard drive image, it searches the internal hard drive as well? But why has Chrome been removed from my backup image even though I only removed chrome from my internal hard drive?'

How do I tell Finder to only search the current partition and not every single hard drive and partition?

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Its not a problem, its an option to select/deselect and yes you can choose to have files/folders not get deleted in superduper as well.

But how do you explain the backup image having had Chrome removed? I backed up that image yesterday when I still had Chrome installed. Maybe finder found chrome on the external hard drive which I think was plugged in and removed it from the external hard drive as well?:confused:

How do I tell Finder to only search the current hard drive partition?:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.