Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Analyst Brian White with Topeka Capital Markets has heard that Apple will introduce its fifth-generation iPad as well as a new version of the iPad mini in March.

White was reportedly told by industry sources at this week's CES event in Las Vegas that the new “iPad 5” would be lighter and thinner than the current-generation model, dubbed by the media as iPad 4.

As for the iPad mini, the second-generation diminutive tablet PC will reportedly have a similar form factor as the current version, but it will be equipped with a faster chip and other upgraded components.

The analyst didn’t specifically mention a Retina display for the iPad mini 2, but most analysts agree that Apple will include a HiDPI screen in the second iteration of its smaller tablet

from here

http://news.softpedia.com/news/iPad-5-to-Be-Released-This-March-Report-320551.shtml

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
Ipad mini 2 with no retina

I won't be upgrading , the current mini seems fast enough to me

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Do you really notice the low 500+mb ram on the mini ?

Everything runs smooth on mine

I notice lags on my iPad 2, of which the mini is basically a smaller version. Historically iOS becomes a little more resource intensive with each generation so I would notice it even more on iOS 7.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
I thought you had the ipad mini

Well i can tell you from using it since day 1 there's no lag

Check this out

iPad Mini vs Nexus 7 - Gaming Performance - HD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PANra3PB9pE

I notice lags on my iPad 2, of which the mini is basically a smaller version. Historically iOS becomes a little more resource intensive with each generation so I would notice it even more on iOS 7.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I thought you had the ipad mini
Well i can tell you from using it since day 1 there's no lag

No you can't tell me I won't notice any lag because you don't know which apps I use; how full mine is; how many photos I keep on it; what kind of image editing I do; which mail accounts I use and how full my inbox is; how graphics heavy the magazines I have in Zinio are; whether I view big PDFs; how often I switch between apps; how many tabs I keep open and how resource intensive the sites I visit are; etc.

So. While you don't notice any lag. I do notice some on my iPad 2 and since the Mini is a smaller iPad 2 with the same amount of RAM and a slightly faster CPU I will notice some lag on the current iPad Mini.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
We all know Apple is moving their releases closer together to stay competitive with the other companies that release products damn nearly weekly...

...But still this seems awfully soon.

novono

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2012
I for one can't wait for a thinner and lighter full size iPad despite getting a 4 in December. As it is, the iPad is somewhat of a fat whale and over time it takes a toll on your hands and wrists if you're holding it. I'll just sell the 4 on eBay and upgrade in March if that's how it's gonna be.

spooky23

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2013
Epping
I'm beginning to wonder...do all of you have brittle bones? Drink more milk people. It's not that heavy.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Analysts are the same people that claim we would have an Apple television set in 2011, then 2012, now 2013. Most analyst claims don't mean much. Analysts are basically paid to speculate. (Which I feel is morally wrong when it comes to peoples money, but thats another argument) And given Apples huge dip from 700 a couple months ago, It could be bait to keep investors "investing" to keep stock prices higher. Oops, there I go speculating. :)

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Analysts are the same people that claim we would have an Apple television set in 2011, then 2012, now 2013. Most analyst claims don't mean much. Analysts are basically paid to speculate. (Which I feel is morally wrong when it comes to peoples money, but thats another argument) And given Apples huge dip from 700 a couple months ago, It could be bait to keep investors "investing" to keep stock prices higher. Oops, there I go speculating. :)

There were some analysts which claimed Apple would launch the iPad mini. So while you have to take all rumors with a grain of salt, their speculation sometimes is correct.

ar3ar2

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
From my other thread:

I can believe that. A cosmetic update doesn't sound farfetched. Maybe Apple could bring the price down for flash chips or increase RAM, but it's unlikely. No speed increase however.

A updated ipad mini will definitely not have a retina display in March.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I can believe that. A cosmetic update doesn't sound farfetched. Maybe Apple could bring the price down for flash chips or increase RAM, but it's unlikely. No speed increase however.

A updated ipad mini will definitely not have a retina display in March.

I agree. Can you imagine the whine-fest that would happen if the Mini got Retina after only six months. The internet would drown in conspiracies about how retina was ready for the first one but Apple held it back just to make more money.

Obviously not you guys on here, I'm talking about everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.