Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twells22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I am trying to do something online that asks for me to instal Java Runtime Environment. I went to Oracle's website to get it. After it downloads I click to install it and I get this message: "jre-7u10-macosx-x64 not recognized."

I have no clue what I am doing wrong.

This same program use to work for me a couple weeks ago.

twells22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I have downloaded it several times with the same result. The error mentions my disk so maybe its something wrong on my computer and not the download?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
What is the complete text of the error message? What Mac and exact OS version?

At what point does that message appear? It possibly looks like you're having problems mounting the disk image. Is that correct?

The download "jre-7u10-macosx-x64.dmg" mounts and the installer runs when I try it.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It seems benwiggy is right here, If you click the dmg twice and you get this message then the Image is not OK, download it from a different computer and try again.

I had such an issue years ago, anything named dmg or img did not get recognized, when I booted from another clean partition it was OK, sadly can't remember how I repaired it.

jk1002

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2008
Apple blocked the java plug in somehow this morning. No point installing it until security concerns are fixed, prob when oracle releases u11

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
I'm on 10.8 can can't install Java either. It keeps saying "installer quit unexpectedly" each time I try to install.

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
I just downloaded and installed it yesterday morning without issue. 2012 MBA running 10.8.

Good timing on my part? Or should I uninstall it?

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
I just downloaded and installed it yesterday morning without issue. 2012 MBA running 10.8.

Good timing on my part? Or should I uninstall it?

I'm running the same thing. How did you manage to pull that off?

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
I'm running the same thing. How did you manage to pull that off?

Oddly, it was Safari that directed me to the download page. Like I said, it must have been 'good' timing. After reading the article posted, I'll probably go ahead and uninstall it.

Nam Pla

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Thailand
News Article...

In a rare warning, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is urging computer users to disable the Java software, citing what it says is a vulnerability in the Oracle's programming platform.

Apple said it is heeding the advice and has remotely disabled Java for most Mac users.

"Java 7 Update 10 and earlier contain an unspecified vulnerability that can allow a remote, unauthenticated attacker to execute arbitrary code on a vulnerable system," the Homeland Security's Computer Emergency Readiness Team said in a note posted Thursday. "We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem."

According to Reuters, the vulnerability makes it possible for hackers to install malware that enables them to commit identify-theft crimes or add infected computers to networks that can be used for cyber attacks.

Link to article:

http://www.latimes.com/business/tec...d-security-20130111,0,6103875.story?track=rss

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.