Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
If I didn't know any better, I'd say Steve is right: I'm holding it wrong.

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. What does this actually mean? It seems no matter how I hold it, it's constantly covered in fingerprints. Obviously it's only annoying when the smart cover and screen isn't on. But I thought this coating was supposed to stop fingerprints?

I've been using my glasses cloth to clean it as well, and unfortunately can't restore it's glossy goodness.

Advice or thoughts welcome.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
If I didn't know any better, I'd say Steve is right: I'm holding it wrong.

Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating. What does this actually mean? It seems no matter how I hold it, it's constantly covered in fingerprints. Obviously it's only annoying when the smart cover and screen isn't on. But I thought this coating was supposed to stop fingerprints?

I've been using my glasses cloth to clean it as well, and unfortunately can't restore it's glossy goodness.

Advice or thoughts welcome.
You should have seen the iPhone 3G and original iPhone (that didn't have this coating). It was absolutely terrible. Fingerprints were visible a 100 hundred times better.

You can't stop the fingerprints, but you can limit them and that's exactly what this coating does. This coating doesn't 'avoid' fingerprints, it is just more resistant to fingerprints.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Black = fingerprint magnet.

I can't see any fingerprints on my white iPad Mini unless the screen is off.

qft

Bought a white iPhone 5 and many of my compulsive behaviors around constant cleaning of the device went away. There is a big difference in the perceived cleanliness of white products.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
With the coating, you can wipe the fingerprints off pretty easily vs. having a screen protector on the device.

Keep in mind it is fingerprint resistant, not retardant!

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010
there is no coating that prevents the fingerprints from happening

solution: get a matte screen protector or a frosted screen protector. it will repel all fingerprints during use

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra

solution: get a matte screen protector or a frosted screen protector. it will repel all fingerprints during use

So much misinformation! There IS an oleophobic coating on the iPad, and while it doesn't prevent fingerprints, it does make them easier to remove. Matte screens don't repel fingerprints, they just make them more difficult to see.

odonnelly99

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Austin, TX
Black = fingerprint magnet.

I can't see any fingerprints on my white iPad Mini unless the screen is off.

Agreed!

----------

So much misinformation! There IS an oleophobic coating on the iPad, and while it doesn't prevent fingerprints, it does make them easier to remove. Matte screens don't repel fingerprints, they just make them more difficult to see.

Yep. Most of the time my t-shirts are soft enough that i can just wipe my iPad down if the fingerprints get excessive.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Microfiber cloth should get rid of fingerprint and dust easier than your cloth.

If you have on a screen protector, it would be even worst because fingerprint just will never go away.

lokster

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2010

easier to remove isnt the same as difficult to see

i dont mean exactly repel and fingerprint proof lol, i was exaggerating!

but really if you do get a frosted or matte screen protector you will hardly wipe your ipad down of fingerprints. the oil from your finger doesnt stick half as much as it does with a matte screen protector

----------

Microfiber cloth should get rid of fingerprint and dust easier than your cloth.

If you have on a screen protector, it would be even worst because fingerprint just will never go away.

obviously, you need to completely wipe your ipad clean BEFORE you add a screen protector and then it would be much safer lol

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012

True, but be aware that matte screen protectors make the screen look mottled. I had one on my iPhone fore a few days and couldn't bear it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.