Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I had my iPhone 4S stolen from me in November (I still get pissed off thinking about it) so i've been using a replacement iPhone 3GS. The 3GS is a very cool device-and I am grateful, but I miss the resolution and Siri the most. My 3GS is VERY slow and only has 8GB compared to the 32GB I had. I have recently put some money away for a new phone because I just really miss the power, resolution, speed, CAMERA, front-facing camera, exc. on my iPhone 4S.

I recently hit up the Apple Store and actually played with the iPhone 5 and DAMN. It was light and just felt different. I was completely impressed because I already judged the device's capability before actually seeing/using it.

My question is, do you think I should buy the 5 right now or wait for the next generation? The reason I am asking, is because I keep seeing articles about how different the next gen will be and how fast it is coming. What would you do if you were in my situation?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The iPhone 5 is a great device and if you have the capital, get one.

If you can do without, than I'd suggest waiting. Why? Because than you'll be switching from an iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5S/6 and the upgrade will feel even more impressive.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
The iPhone 5 is a great device and if you have the capital, get one.

If you can do without, than I'd suggest waiting. Why? Because than you'll be switching from an iPhone 3GS to an iPhone 5S/6 and the upgrade will feel even more impressive.

Thank you for the reply.
I currently have the 3GS and the transition from the 4S has been tough. So, you are saying that you would wait? or just buy?

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
None of the rumors have pegged the next iPhone before June at the earliest. If you can wait that long, then that's your call. Personally though, I don't think it's worth waiting for. There is almost no chance the next release will be a completely new design, which means you're most likely going to be looking at a simple processor (and maybe camera) bump with the 5S. I wouldn't think that would make it worth hanging on until June, as the 5 is plenty fast (hell, so was the 4S, but the bigger screen and LTE made the upgrade worth it). I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
None of the rumors have pegged the next iPhone before June at the earliest. If you can wait that long, then that's your call. Personally though, I don't think it's worth waiting for. There is almost no chance the next release will be a completely new design, which means you're most likely going to be looking at a simple processor (and maybe camera) bump with the 5S. I wouldn't think that would make it worth hanging on until June, as the 5 is plenty fast (hell, so was the 4S, but the bigger screen and LTE made the upgrade worth it). I'd say go ahead and pull the trigger.

I'm like a kid right now. I mean, I CAN wait..but I really don't wanna and don't see the point.
My main fear is the possibility of an exclusive program feature. I know I know, all iPhone's have exclusive features, but if it is like the 4/4S with Siri, I will be pissed.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
My advice is if you really need a new phone and have the $$ to buy one go for it. If you don't need a phone then simply wait. End of the day technology changes all the time. If a new iPhone comes out just sell you'r one pay the difference and upgrade that's if you really wanted to. Otherwise stick to the iPhone 5 and be happy with what you have.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
My advice is if you really need a new phone and have the $$ to buy one go for it. If you don't need a phone then simply wait. End of the day technology changes all the time. If a new iPhone comes out just sell you'r one pay the difference and upgrade that's if you really wanted to. Otherwise stick to the iPhone 5 and be happy with what you have.

Appreciate it.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
... stolen iPhone snip ...

My question is, do you think I should buy the 5 right now or wait for the next generation? The reason I am asking, is because I keep seeing articles about how different the next gen will be and how fast it is coming. What would you do if you were in my situation?

Right now? No. Get the 5 and be over with it.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Awesome. Another question for you ALL,
what do you think the deadline month is to buy the i5?

Ummm...June? Later if no 5S is announced at WWDC. And even then, it's not like the 5 will suddenly become a bad phone. It has a 1.2 GHz dual core processor and 1 GB of RAM. It will be a very capable phone for the next two years at least.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
As another said if you have the cash then buy it... if not wait. You should be able to get some duckets for your 3gs to help offset the cost.

On another note how the heck does someone have their phone stolen? Beat up and taken out of your hand or careless placement?

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
As another said if you have the cash then buy it... if not wait. You should be able to get some duckets for your 3gs to help offset the cost.

On another note how the heck does someone have their phone stolen? Beat up and taken out of your hand or careless placement?

Careless placement. Still pisses me off.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Get the 5 now. Keep it in great shape. If the 5S has some special feature that u feel ur missing out on, sell ur 5 and pay the difference. It'll be less then 6 months old if 5S comes in June (which I doubt, but who knows) and if ur using a subsidized upgrade, and keep the phone nice, you'll be able to sell for double what u paid. And even if u have to buck up a few dollars, it'll be worth it. And you'll be in good upgrade shape when the 6 comes rolling around. Then get the 6 and start the whole process over again. Ahh..keeping up with technology!

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Get the 5 now. Keep it in great shape. If the 5S has some special feature that u feel ur missing out on, sell ur 5 and pay the difference. It'll be less then 6 months old if 5S comes in June (which I doubt, but who knows) and if ur using a subsidized upgrade, and keep the phone nice, you'll be able to sell for double what u paid. And even if u have to buck up a few dollars, it'll be worth it. And you'll be in good upgrade shape when the 6 comes rolling around. Then get the 6 and start the whole process over again. Ahh..keeping up with technology!

+1!
Buy it and enjoy it. If the next iPhone warrants an upgrade, you do what you gotta do to get it. ;)

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012

+1!
Buy it and enjoy it. If the next iPhone warrants an upgrade, you do what you gotta do to get it. ;)

Seems like a worthwhile type of thing to do xD
I definitely will just get it over with and follow that principle,lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.