Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
If this is the case, it'll make me regret updating my first gen iPad in November.

Oh well, at least it gets the job done for what I need it to do - gotta think positive, right?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
They need to settle on a launch schedule.

Would you cut it out, Apple? Wait a ****ing little while. :apple:

Because.....?

Just in time for the tax refunds.

:):)

I really don't care if they update the iPad every other month;) Frankly I just jump on the Merry Go Round when the update has features I want, and of course when I have the money! I'm still on iPad2 and was almost going to go with the latest and I thought as much as I want the higher resolution screen the iPad2 was working fine. So if it is March so be it. I'm starting to save up some cash. I feel the same way about my MacbookPro, iPhone5 and 2010 iMac.

The 'sane' approach, imho.

.....a new strategy for Apple as it seeks to remain competitive in the fast-moving mobile device market and smooth out its sales somewhat throughout the year.

Article Link: Next-Generation iPad and iPad Mini Rumored for March Launch

Two sound reasons against a 'fixed' release schedule. As jazz1 said: Don't set yourself up for disappointment, enjoy what you've got, and update when you're ready, without worrying too much about the 'latest' tech cause there'll always be something lighter/thinner/greater/better/faster, just around the corner, that's a given.
Those who wait, never really get to enjoy anything.

Also, why would APPLE 'sit' on newer technology and allow the competition to catch up?

Last edited:

bjornm

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2008
We'll see what happens. There are a lot of people hoping for a retina mini to show up sooner rather than later, myself included. We all know it will happen. We also know that the first gen iPad mini is destined to become the budget iPad in 2013 ($229-249???), which will make room for a retina iPad mini, perhaps at a slightly higher price point.

I'm with you in the hoping for sure. As you say... we will see.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Gee, if I wait another year, they'll have maybe two more updates to the iPad and two years from now...zero support for both of them! :D

Seriously, they can update iPads twice a year now, but they can't manage an update to the Mac Pro in over three years? Apple has forgotten their core business and it's a continuing shame. The sad part is they have the money to do both right, but they're still so paranoid they won't hire enough people...not even five years later. :rolleyes:

Companies can change their core business, especially if they find it more profitable. Macs are now a niche. More people are introduced to Apple through iOS devices than Macs ever did. iOS is now the core business.

Thats life in business.

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new ipads its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt matter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.

I'm afraid you're not really using all your processing power either.

rtr1985

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Product cycles are no longer predictable, but what they will upgrade is. Besides iPods, has there ever been a purely cosmetic refresh--e.g., change form factor without any performance bump?

I'm not sure, but it seems like every iteration of these products have incorporated new technology with each refresh. Will they just tweak the A6X and bill it as 25% faster?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I think, through the successful launch of the Mini, Apple realized they probably could have hiked up the price even more. And I fully predict that's exactly what they're going to do in March. With one caveat, it'll likely come with a Retina display. And it will still fly off the shelves.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I think, through the successful launch of the Mini, Apple realized they probably could have hiked up the price even more. And I fully predict that's exactly what they're going to do in March. With one caveat, it'll likely come with a Retina display. And it will still fly off the shelves.

iPad Mini with retina display replaces iPad 2 spot

And they'll make the 1st gen iPad Mini $30 cheaper

iPad Mini - $299
iPad Mini with Retina display - $399
iPad 5 - $499

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Thing is, the iPad needed some form of update to bring it in line with the rest of the lightning connected family, the bonus was the the spec bump and front camera. Expect to see the iPad 5 with a similar processor, updated design and capacity bump.

The iPad 4 has so far been the only product to slip out of the ~annual refresh and that was somewhat out of necessity. The mini has been positioned nicely to counter the regular ipad update schedule, as I guess would a mystery cheaper iPhone be to the regular one. So perhaps we can expect a April / May intro of an iPhone mini?

Gracco

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
Who complains about the refresh rate is silly.

I still have my iPad 2 and is totally fine for me. I didn't upgrade because I think the iPad 3 and the iPad 3S is too fat and heavier. I don't need to have the last gadget all the time.

For me the real iPad 4 is coming now, and now I gonna buy. I hope it comes with the IGZO display with a +18 hours of battery life. IMO Apple will update the iPad Mini only in the second semester of this year. The iPad 3S was only a minor improvement to keep the sales and a performance leap over the mini.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Problem of Conflicting Interests

Regarding product update rates:

1) Stockholders/corporations: would like you to update your HW/SW as frequently as possible to keep the cash flow coming in and their hands in your wallet

2) Consumers: would like to buy HW/SW and have it remain functional for as long as possible to keep the corporations OUT of their wallets

The balance is a refresh cycle that allows tech companies to stay staffed/funded vs consumers who have stuff that "just works" for a minimum of a few years without becoming obsolete.

Unfortunately in the tech world the balance has tilted towards tech corporations. For example if you buy a device today, within 2 years it is possible your search engine might start to slow down and become less than 100% functional. Internet/video standards are always changing and ONLY THE NEW OS with its "updated browser" gives you 100% web searching functionality. But the new OS/Browser ONLY runs on the last two generations of HW (and you are 3 generations back by now). So you are forced to either update HW or become slowly/painfully "obsolete".

5 years...that is all I ask for whatever device I buy today to stay relevant and completely functional. Just give me that and you can release new models every month.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
they will lose so many customers if they keep releasing ipads every 5-6 months until now you knew your device would atleast be the newest for atleast 1 year.... now this just sucks

I think their sales will be fine. The only customers who will get upset are those who use Apple products as status symbols.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The Nexus 7 is a product sold at cost, but companies don't sell products at cost, unless they can make money in other ways. With the Nexus 7, with the Kindle (family), with the Nook, they all sell these products at, near or less than cost. Yet, Amazon and Google (not sure about B&N<grin>) are profitable companies, so why would they sell these products so cheaply?

The initial price of the product isn't the price you pay (in the long run) - these products are built and sold for one reason: to be a conduit for other products and services they sell (mostly to the buyer of the original product). It's a fallacy to think these products are so cheap, sort of like thinking that free television is in fact free to the viewer.

Apple products are just as much a vehicle to sell media through itunes as any amazon or google product with respect to their own services. Downplaying the relevance of Itunes as an income stream is a fallacy as well. You could certainly buy a Nexus 7 and never put another cent into it the entire life of the device, just like any iOS device.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, but I've put more money into my iOS phone post purchase than my cheap android tablet.

TLDR: Apple charges more because they can. I agree that their products are generally higher quality, but in the case of the 1st gen mini - like I said earlier, not superior enough.

Last edited:

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
I don't know- March seems way too soon for this to happen. This might just be wishful thinking.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Urgh! I got my iPad mini less than a month ago. Anyone fancy speculating what the next one will have? I'm guessing Retina isn't an option for this price point, they would have put it the first one if price wasn't a concern.

The technology isn't caught up yet to offer a retina display on the iPad mini while keeping the ipad2 app compatibility intact. They need to be able to shrink the currect retina iPad screen into iPad mini size and the display manufacturers haven't been able to do so yet

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
There just milking people for there money i have just got my ipad 4 about 6 weeks ago and now its going to be outdated by apples new ipads its just getting to much and to stupid to keep realising new ipads with out any major change so what ipad 4 is twice as fast as ipad 3 it doesnt matter no app uses all of the ipad 4 processor power.

Nobody is milking anyone. You either choose to buy a new one or you don't. It's pretty simple. Your current iPad doesn't just stop working because a new one comes out. Lol.

If you're this upset, you shouldn't buy technology. It will always be outdone by something else soon after.

Lastly, yeah, I use the iPad's processor to it's fullest. Ever remote desktop? There are many apps that will utilize that processor. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Some people really need to think about what they post.

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
I don't think the quickened product cycle should surprise anyone. Is it a divergence from Apple's norm? Yes. But they've now been forced to change that due to competition. I LIKE IT!

Here's why I think it will happen.

1. They're no longer the only player in this arena as other competitors have accelerated their product cycle release times due to newer/better components.

2. Sales of their products start to drop off rather quickly past halfway thru the 12 month cycle. Half year cycles will refresh their products nicely and keep a good level of people buying.

3. Apple no longer have revolutionary features others can't copy. If what I observed is correct, it appears their competitors have put Apple on edge w/ their new features/functions.

In the past, it was about capturing customer base (and was ez due to weak competition), but now it's about expanding it even more while retaining what's already captured.

Asus, Samsung, Google, Windows, etc etc...even if their cycle times were 1 yr, the fact that there are so many competitors, it feels more like product cycles of 3 months!

IPAD MINI RETINA! GO GO!

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Its just moving from annual to semiannual release schedule for ipads:

March - October cycle

it shows accelerating competition in this field and also the strength of Apple in logistics, making that possible. Also want to avoid the pick and fall demand scenario when one can't buy at launch and will not buy at end, continuing for whole year.

Wondering if that will be true for iPhone 5. Then we should embrace new iPhone 6 before or at June WWDC.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I know a few people who would be really disappointed if the mini really get retina display after only 5 months. After all, the reason they bought the mini now is because they think apple wouldn't release a new version so soon

Well in any case, it's a good news for me. Though my iPad 2 is still perfectly usable and can run anything the ipad 3/4 can, I felt completely in love with the light weight and easily portable size of the mini. Only thing holding me back is that retina display.

Morshu9001

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
the capital of Assyria

Then don't buy it. In fact, instead of wasting your time going to the store, just look up the difference between a few certain words that sound similar. In fact, don't even buy tech or the newspaper since the newer version always outdoes the older one.

----------

"Apple's forcing us to update our iPads every 6 months!"

Probably the same people as those who say:

"The bankers are forcing us to take loans and go into debt! I mean, it's not fair that I have to repay my loan."
"Airline companies are all thieves. They charge a lot of money to fly."
"Microsoft forces us to buy stupid XBOX Live. Thieves. I'm not paying for your service, criminals!"

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Very cool. I wonder if the next iPad will be redesigned in some way--other than being thinner. If the only improvement is quicker charging times, that alone is a big upgrade for me. Other than that, I'm not sure what other hardware improvements they could make. I bought an iPad 3 and think that's pretty advanced.

The 4th Gen iPad shipped with a 12 watt charger versus the previous 3's 10 watt charger. It might not sound like much but i read somewhere that it sped up charging time by about 20-30%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.