Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Siyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Long time iOS user and new convert to Android with note 2. For me it has been a mixed bag experience. Let me elaborate. JB is just as smooth and responsive as iOS. Performance wise no problems. The bigger screen is certainly a plus enhancing my overall experience with the device. The size has been no problem and larger devices have become a trend lately, so no weird looks so far. Many features (S-Pen etc.) and costumatizon options. Also suberp battery performance even with the latest update (4.1.2). Now to the negatives. I prefer the Retina display over AMOLEDs. Hardware quality also lags compared to the iphone. Same goes for the sound output. I hate the software update process of Android (Different versions for different markets/devices etc.). Also prefer how Apple handles their App Store regarding security and App quality. Kies is even worse than iTunes. I will hang on to the Note 2 and wait for Apple to up their game with the iphone 5s/6. Already missing the safe and boring Apple walled garden. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Two months in with my Note II and enjoying it like it was day 1. There's so much you can do with this phone.

Agreed and same here. Contrary to the unmitigated hype the device does fit in my pockets and I can use it eith one hand for most of the tasks I do with it.

The stylus, multi screen apps, and a screen that is never too big or too small are just but a few things I couldn't live without.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
You might consider trying out a Nexus 7 as an inexpensive first trial with Android -- it's a bit more pocketable/portable than the mini.I have a Nexus 4/7 combo, and it works well.

Just on the size issue with the 4 -- it does feel a bit large in my pockets ... but I'm a guy that really doesn't like things in my pockets. I have a few pants with dedicated cellphone pockets where I would prefer to carry it, but unfortunately it's too large for any of them (I'm really relieved that it _just_ barely fits in the phone pocket of my Camelback pack -- that's a big one for me).

I think the Note is a really fine device, but I know for myself, I wouldn't want to be required to carry anything larger than my N4 100% of the time, just to have my phone with me. I'm hoping to see pocketable productivity devices being developed, with screen sizes from the Note to the iPad mini, that are designed to pair up well tethered to an easily pocketable phone.
They need to quit wasting precious pocket space on bezels!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Having used the Note 2 for sometime for a test drive, I am disappointed with the following:

-Fingerprint magnet! And the plastic all over the body scratches too easily.
-S-Pen is very fiddly and feels cheap.
-Camera isn't in the top tier of quality for photos compared to Nokia and Apple.
-The biggest thing: The PPI is too low. The quality is VERY apparent compared to other 300+ PPI phones.
-Still has that Android lag once in a blue moon especially when I dig into the settings app.
-The home button isn't as satisfying to click as say...the iPhone.
-16GB internal storage is ridiculously low for the price.
-The multi-window trick is very overrated. Only works with a handful of apps. (Sucks that I can't Skype on one half of the phone and browse the internet on the other)

I think the size is fine. The flip cover accessories are good (wish Apple had it).

As someone who owns the phone, I don't agree with a lot of these points.

Titanium grey is not a fingerprint magnet. Looking at mine right now there's little dust sitting near the top of the screen, no visible fingerprints. To be fair I have a screen protector which reduces fingerprints, they are more visible without one and I wouldn't recommend getting the phone without a protector.

S-Pen is fine, not sure what feels cheap about it. Of course they made it with light materials because it is supposed to weigh the phone down as little as possible.

Camera is very close to the top tier, people claim how amazing the iPhone 5 camera is (I know Nokia is better) but if you actually compare the photos even in low light there isn't a big difference ... the Note 2 has way cooler camera features such as the solarize filter that outweighs it IMO.

Saying the PPI is VERY noticeable compared with other phones 300+ simply isn't true. Do you hold the Note 2 six inches from your face? If so, that's the problem here. Unlike the iPhone you aren't supposed to hold this device right up to your nose to see what's on the screen. There's other problems with having a screen higher than 720p at this point .... I won't get that into it but the main concern is battery life. There's a reason why the Note 2 pwns in battery life and the 720p screen has a lot to do with that, so if someone would rather trade this screen for worse battery life then there's plenty of devices to switch to for that.

I haven't had lag on it personally. The point about the home button is just silly.
Multi window is what it is, if you don't have a use for it, that's okay. I would rather have it than not because it's useful to have youtube or browser open while messaging or emailing on the fly. Also 16GB is low but the only thing that's ridiculous is being able to put in a 64GB card for under 50$ which brings your total to over 70GB.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
bullcrap, its nowhere near 3/4 the size of a nexus 7, let alone an ipad mini

iPad Mini dimensions: 7.87 x 5.3 x 0.28 inches

Galaxy Note 2 dimensions: 5.95 x 3.17 x 0.37 inches

7.87 x .75 = 5.9025"

Close enough, eh?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
As someone who owns the phone, I don't agree with a lot of these points.I haven't had lag on it personally. The point about the home button is just silly.

Multi window is what it is, if you don't have a use for it, that's okay. I would rather have it than not because it's useful to have youtube or browser open while messaging or emailing on the fly. Also 16GB is low but the only thing that's ridiculous is being able to put in a 64GB card for under 50$ which brings your total to over 70GB.

I totally agree. And the word "LAG" is going to become the new "FANBOY" soon. It's overused, and unsubstantiated in every post that uses it.

I've used my phone to what i thought was the breaking point and not only has it NEVER lagged even though I expected it to, the only thing it's done to it was drain the battery down tremendously. We are talking a 5.5" screen at full brightness, two apps simultaneously and playing a video in a small window.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
You're comparing the heights of the devices only? That's not how it works, lol.

7.87 x .75 = 5.9025"

5.3 x .6 = 3.18"

So, it's between 2/3 and 3/4 the size of a ipad mini.

Better?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

7.87 x .75 = 5.9025"

5.3 x .6 = 3.18"

Better?

It's the main reason I have stopped using my iPad in favor of the Note. It's easier to actually bring with me anywhere, and I can run two apps at the same time without a hitch.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
It's the main reason I have stopped using my iPad in favor of the Note. It's easier to actually bring with me anywhere, and I can run two apps at the same time without a hitch.

That's cool, but not everyone wants to carry a giant phone in their pocket.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Theres no forgiving Samsung for the low PPI. The quality of text is low compared to the iphone.AND especially after using the Droid DNA it is ridiculoudly poor.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
That's cool, but not everyone wants to carry a giant phone in their pocket.

Agreed, but millions do!

----------

Theres no forgiving Samsung for the low PPI. The quality of text is low compared to the iphone.AND especially after using the Droid DNA it is ridiculoudly poor.

Its not that bad, its not the highest dpi but its still a quality screen. Im really happy with the screen quality.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010

Agreed the low ppi is not ideal. I can say it doesn't bother me enough to sacrifice the removable battery and sd card. Even if I was buying my phone again with the option of buying the dna I would still have chosen the note 2 because of these short comings. I know it's not a priority for everyone but I have found myself filling two 64gb sd cards due to traveling in areas data connections are not a good option. Much easier to fill my two cards with media than swap media from my laptop.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

7.87 x .75 = 5.9025"

5.3 x .6 = 3.18"

Better?

Wow, somebody didn't pay attention in math class...

Mini: 7.87 x 5.3 = 41.71 sq inches

Note 2: 5.95 x 3.17 = 18.86 sq inches

So in surface area, the note 2 is 45% of the mini. Hardly nearly as big as a mini.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Wow, somebody didn't pay attention in math class...

Mini: 7.87 x 5.3 = 41.71 sq inches

Note 2: 5.95 x 3.17 = 18.86 sq inches

So in surface area, the note 2 is 45% of the mini. Hardly nearly as big as a mini.

Congratulations, you discovered how to calculate total surface area.

Celebration aside, the length and width of the Note 2 is still 75% and 60% of the iPad mini.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Celebration aside, the length and width of the Note 2 is still 75% and 60% of the iPad mini.

Well somebody had to correct the nonsense you're spewing. Your 75% and 60% mean the device is less than half as big as a Mini.

Using your logic, the iPhone is 82% the size of the Galaxy Note 2 (4.87" vs 5.95"). "OMG, it's nearly the size of the Note 2," said corvus32.

Last edited:

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
I was thinking about giving up my iPhone 5 for a Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon. If there was a jailbreak for the iPhone 5 then I wouldn't bother leaving Apple but I really can't stand the closed system. I don't mind that iOS is stale at stock but at least give me the chance to unlock my $850 device to its true potential. I have an iPad 3 on iOS 5.1.1 and a MacBook Pro. Honestly, the only three things that I will truly miss are iMessage, iTunes Match, and the smoothness of Safari.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
Well somebody had to correct the nonsense you're spewing. Your 75% and 60% mean the device is less than half as big as a Mini.

Using your logic, the iPhone is 82% the size of the Galaxy Note 2 (4.87" vs 5.95"). "OMG, it's nearly the size of the Note 2," said corvus32.

Using your logic, stating the truth is nonsense but that's ok.

By definition size means something's overall dimensions, which is what I gave.

Surface area and size are not the same thing.

Go here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Does it say "Size and Weight" or does it say "Surface Area and Weight"?

I'm to dumb to read what it says, so please post back and tell me.

Last edited:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
You're comparing the heights of the devices only? That's not how it works, lol.

Obviously it does, both the iPad Mini and the Note II are one dimensional in size, it's barely a string! So yes, only height matters. :p

----------

Wow lol you are too funny.

----------

Using your logic, stating the truth is nonsense but that's ok.

By definition size means something's overall dimensions, which is what I gave.

Surface area and size are not the same thing.

When someone asks "what size pants do you wear" you don't tell them in surface area do you?

Go here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

Does it say "Size and Weight" or does it say "Surface Area and Weight"?

I'm to dumb to read what it says, so please post back and tell me.

LMAO you compared this to size of pants? Are you even half serious?

How does anyone compare the size of a country? Or size of a TV? Is it by height and width? NO!

Both the height, width and thickness play a role on the size of the device.

stanw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
I went through this same decision a month or so ago when I switched from the 4S to the Note 2. My thoughts:

- I'm a long time Mac user and am not interested in switching to Windows or anything else. My Macs do everything I need them to,
- iOS made me frustrated with too many features missing that Android has, that is why I am a Mac user switching to Android
- I could never go back to the smaller screens of the 4S or 5 after using the Note2
- I remember getting a Blackberry back in 2008 and hating it and wanting an iPhone, though I didn't want to switch to ATT from VZW. The Blackberry was a great phone, though boring and if you wanted better multimedia you got an iPhone. This is similar to how I feel about iPhone vs. Android now. If you want a great phone you get an iPhone, though if you want better multimedia amongst other things, you get an Android

The only thing I miss is iMessage and I liked the look of icons in iOS a bit more...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.