Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
What with the optical drive gone from all new Apple products I wondered if Itunes 11 still allowed you the option of burning your own cds to Itunes when you put them in the optical drive?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What with the optical drive gone from all new Apple products I wondered if Itunes 11 still allowed you the option of burning your own cds to Itunes when you put them in the optical drive?

I haven't ripped or burned any CD's in years, but I couldn't see why it still shouldn't work.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Of course. External CD burner is about £20. I would think that not many people are bothered anymore.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
You can import stuff to iTunes, but you cannot make a CD/DVD back up copy of your library anymore.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I dont understand how limiting choices for your customers is good business sense and can be considered progress?

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Why use discs to store your entire library when you can just use iTunes Match?:)

Because relying on Apple's internet service is just stupid. They have never managed web based services well. It's also a damn site quicker and free. Not everyone wants to waste money to apple when you can buy a hand full of blank DVD's.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
You can import stuff to iTunes, but you cannot make a CD/DVD back up copy of your library anymore.
No loss. Time Machine backs up the entire iTunes folder to whichever external HD you tell it to go, or you can use the backup program of your choice to accomplish the same thing. The typical iTunes library is so large that backing it up to an optical drive (even blu-ray) just doesn't make any sense anymore.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
I have imported a cd in iTunes but haven't tried to bun a cd, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Because relying on Apple's internet service is just stupid. They have never managed web based services well. It's also a damn site quicker and free. Not everyone wants to waste money to apple when you can buy a hand full of blank DVD's.

At home, I've got this big trunk full of CDs/DVDs. I rarely open it because browsing would have taken me a good part of an hour. It's great to have physical copies and I totally get your point.

Still, the minimalist in me tells me to not bother with trunks anymore. And yeah, it's freeing. But do what you like, mate!:)

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
Cassette tapes? How quaint.

Well, since the industry stopped producing music before the advent of the CD, I see no reason to dump my cassettes.

----------

My dad still keeps a cassette player in his car and loves to listen to the crackling records while he drives. No technology is going to change that:)

Indeed! My car came with a cassette player, and I'm not ever going to change my car for one of those new-fangled greenie crawlers! :)

jamesdmc

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2007
Cittagazze
Some people still have car stereos that play CDs and do not have an input for an iPod or MP3 player.
My car has an iPod input (Ford Sync) and a CD player. I use them both. I love having my entire iTunes library in the car, but when I listen to audiobooks, which I do quite often, I prefer them to be on CD. I've found that its much easier with a CD to get back to where I've left off. Audiobooks in iTunes have a resume feature, I know, but not when Ford Sync loses sync with the iPod and has to re-index (which it does more often than I'd like). Some chapters are more than 30 minutes long and it's a pain "fast" forwarding to where I was. That's where CDs come in.

I use Toast 11 to burn my CDs though, not iTunes.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
So basically what is being said here backs up my thoughts that Apple has pushed forward with no concern for its customers habits.What good is thinness if it takes away function?Bring back the optical drive to the Imac,its a desktop workstation not a damn travelling unit.While your at it put in Blu ray for those who would like to use the display as a media center.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
So basically what is being said here backs up my thoughts that Apple has pushed forward with no concern for its customers habits.What good is thinness if it takes away function?Bring back the optical drive to the Imac,its a desktop workstation not a damn travelling unit.While your at it put in Blu ray for those who would like to use the display as a media center.

Er... did you read *any* of the replies?

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline

I've given up archiving my music to CD/DVDs for two reasons:

• After faithfully doing CD/DVD backups for years, dozens of CDs only 5 to 7 years old have become unreadable thanks to disc rot.

• My iTunes library comprises 63,000 music items at 400 GB; 750 movies at 830 GB; 4900 TV shows at 980 GB; and 6,050 audiobooks at 955 GB, so it's no longer practical to back them up to DVDs.

Instead, I back up to 1 and 2-TB disk drives. I have a backup disk drive and an offsite backup disk drive for each source drive and so far it's worked out pretty well. That amounts to 21 TB in total.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I've given up archiving my music to CD/DVDs for two reasons:

• After faithfully doing CD/DVD backups for years, dozens of CDs only 5 to 7 years old have become unreadable thanks to disc rot.

• My iTunes library comprises 63,000 music items at 400 GB; 750 movies at 830 GB; 4900 TV shows at 980 GB; and 6,050 audiobooks at 955 GB, so it's no longer practical to back them up to DVDs.

Instead, I back up to 1 and 2-TB disk drives. I have a backup disk drive and an offsite backup disk drive for each source drive and so far it's worked out pretty well. That amounts to 21 TB in total.

what offsite backup have you used that would be fast enough to back up 2 terabytes of data. I have some videos id like to back up but all the online backup sites ive looked at would take me 2 months to upload them since they upload so slow.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
what offsite backup have you used that would be fast enough to back up 2 terabytes of data. I have some videos id like to back up but all the online backup sites ive looked at would take me 2 months to upload them since they upload so slow.

I believe he meant offsite as not on premises, not cloud based. Could be wrong though...

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
It's just a set of disk drives that I back up using a disk docking station, then store at a friend's house. The backups stored in my office I update every week or so; the offsites get updated monthly. Works pretty slick.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.