Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I have a 3rd gen iPad and the majority of the time I try to watch a video on YouTube (usually thru Facebook or Chrome) the audio does not play. The video works, just no sound.

My friend thought it might be on YouTubes end, some sort of restriction on mobile browsing, but its on almost everything so it makes me think its gotta be an issue on my end.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Just YouTube. My audio works fine for music and that sorta thing, and even works for some YouTube vids, but almost none.

CairnsRock

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
Toronto
I have a 3rd gen iPad and the majority of the time I try to watch a video on YouTube (usually thru Facebook or Chrome) the audio does not play. The video works, just no sound.

My friend thought it might be on YouTubes end, some sort of restriction on mobile browsing, but its on almost everything so it makes me think its gotta be an issue on my end.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Try deleting the YouTube app and reinstalling it.

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Is the app even relevant? This is when I'm viewing thru Facebook or my Chrome browser. Plus after upgrading to iOS 6 and before even downloading the YouTube app I was still having the problem.

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Yeah, just checked and the app is irrelevant. I deleted my YouTube app and the audio still doesn't play.

Randomly found this video on Facebook as an example. It plays the video but not the audio. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TCXGOijV0g&sns=em

Downloaded the YouTube app again and the video plays in the app but still not inside Facebook. And if I copy the link into chrome it works. (But lots of videos linked on various message boards viewed with chrome don't play the audio)

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Like I said, I'm not talking about when you use the app, I'm talking about videos embedded in Facebook or my browser.

Colin Len

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Not sure about safari, I hate safari so I never use it. Maybe next time the problem occurs (I never know when the audio will work and when it won't) I'll try it out in safari as well.

Either way, sounds like no one else is having similar issues?

MikeDLA

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
I have the same problem as OP.
iPad 3 iOS6
No audio from embedded videos in Safari e.g when visiting Facebook.
Same with Facebook app. Embedded videos have no audio.
YouTube app works fine but this is of no help with web-embedded clips in Safari.

Craigjtmp

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Solved!

I found the solution! If you have the slide switch set to "Lock", audio on YouTube videos watched through the Facebook Mobile App will not work.

Go to Settings, Set slide switch to "Mute", and Voila! Problem solved. That sucks because I hate having the iPad rotating back and forth. Oh well....maybe it will be fixed in a patch.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Reactions: Mariama

Crickett57

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2013
Genius

Wow never would of thought of that.. You are a genius.. I will use the lock in the home screen.
Thanks.
I found the solution! If you have the slide switch set to "Lock", audio on YouTube videos watched through the Facebook Mobile App will not work.

Go to Settings, Set slide switch to "Mute", and Voila! Problem solved. That sucks because I hate having the iPad rotating back and forth. Oh well....maybe it will be fixed in a patch.

ohlavasse

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2013
Yay!!!

I've been looking everywhere for a solution and I was on the point of resetting the ipad when I came across your post. I tried it and it worked!!!

Thanks!!! :):)

Mauigirl2013

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
No audio for YouTube videos

Go to your settings, general, and check the side switch settings. Most likely, mute is checked...that's what happened to me when I had the same problem you are having. Just uncheck mute, and problem solved.

Macgirly

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Thank you!

I was having the same problem and the mute setting helped to solve my problem! :D

Toyzbox

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
It won't let me uncheck it. You can only choose mute or lock rotation. Am I in the right place.

Mariama

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
Wales UK
Solved!

thanks for this it was doing my head in! stupid glitch these choices should be stand alone....not one or the other crazy thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.