Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I don't see why Apple can't do both (e.g. sell outright and stream for monthly fee).
Isn't that what they are already doing?

First selling you music outright on iTunes.
And then charging you a monthly* fee to stream to you with iTunes Match?

:p

* OK, so the fee is yearly, not monthly

Add-Delay

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
The problem with the streaming services is that the artist gets absolutely jack. That might not matter so much for chart topping pop artists who have countless additional revenue streams (huge concerts, endorsements, appearances, etc.) but for the majority of artists who have to survive on less than a traditional 9-5 job it matters a lot.

According to this article by Damon Krukowski (of Galaxie 500 and Damon & Naomi), to make the same amount of money as selling one LP they need 47,680 plays on Spotify and an incredible 312,000 plays on Pandora.
http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
The money is in the material. Not assembly. China is assembly labor. $90/mo/peasant (50+hrs/wk).

Depending on the materials you use, and believe the list is infinite, and how you engineer it (eg you can use square drivers over circles to push more volume), is what determines the price and performance.

You can get a plasma speaker and enjoy 0 Ohms. Crystal clear sound but lacks bass. But this is just an example of "materials" used and the technology that produces the sound. It's more complicated for headphones because you're moving so little air. I'm talking about bass specifically (as the OP discusses Beats). For good bass in any headphone it must be around ear. With good seal/suction. The oval shape in the Bose QC15 is very good at this. Your ears aren't circles. They are gonna fit better in ovals. This is why I think the comfort level on them is second to none. Those big circular cans/cushions, as you see in the Beats or some Sinneisers, rest against parts of your ear (not head) and that can get irritating/heated. Mind you I'm only talking about cheap headphones (under $400). If you get something like the D7000 or HiFiMan HE-6, those cans are huge and will surely fit comfortably. In some cases you can replace the cushion with cooling-gel in it. This will keep your head cool. Once again, more on materials...

You can buy a plasma speaker, custom made, for $5-10K. But I think that's enormously stupid.

Just saying...

Against all better judgement and everything I have said before: you do have some nice cans :D

Still: material cost is nothing...just some plastic and metal and manufacturing headphones and tuning them acoustically is much easier then say loudspeaker. Whenever it comes to some ~phile you always get into an area off diminishing returns and people are getting ripped off. Even when you go over on head-fi you see people being very divided there. I mean cryo cables? Really?

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Against all better judgement and everything I have said before: you do have some nice cans :D

Still: material cost is nothing...just some plastic and metal and manufacturing headphones and tuning them acoustically is much easier then say loudspeaker. Whenever it comes to some ~phile you always get into an area off diminishing returns and people are getting ripped off. Even when you go over on head-fi you see people being very divided there. I mean cryo cables? Really?

I use cryo cables. I mean why not? If you can, why not? But yes that is complete overkill. Most people aren't ~philes. :)

I do gotta say the Dolby ATMOS with its 116 surround sound speakers is the best thing that ever happened to my ears outside headphones. :p

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
I use cryo cables. I mean why not? If you can, why not? But yes that is complete overkill. Most people aren't ~philes. :)

I do gotta say the Dolby ATMOS with its 116 surround sound speakers is the best thing that ever happened to my ears outside headphones. :p

Why spend money in bogus things? I guess we both just have a completly different feeling what the value of hard earned money is. So I'll leave with that...

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
How would Apple make a streaming music service better? Pandora gets the job done for me without any issues, not sure what they could bring to the table that would make me switch.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Why spend money in bogus things? I guess we both just have a completly different feeling what the value of hard earned money is. So I'll leave with that...

Why spend your hard earned money on a Apple computer when you can get the same at 1/3 the price? Both do the exact same thing. The experience differs.

Same applies to cables. Cryo cables look great and I would assume there is some science that explains why it was introduced to the world in the first place (over traditional copper (twines))

If it wasn't for cable innovation we wouldn't be able to discuss this thousands of miles apart.

Needless to say, spending money is a good thing. And I encourage you to spend more of it! You don't want the German economy to stagnate. By all means keep that money moving, especially into the US by buying Apple! That'll make up for that lovely S7 in my driveway... :)

Oh boy. I can praise the S7's beauty and the Schwaben build quality like I do headphones and everything else insanely great! :D

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

No? No what? :rolleyes: You don't have to agree with me but you won't get a lot of people that will disagree nor will you get a lot of people that will agree with you either. In case you already remembered to care I'm referring to those rappers you call "wannabes" and those Bose headphones you think are so far superior to the rest in the industry and that's just plain wrong.

iAco

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
No? No what? :rolleyes: You don't have to agree with me but you won't get a lot of people that will disagree nor will you get a lot of people that will agree with you either. In case you already remembered to care I'm referring to those rappers you call "wannabes" and those Bose headphones you think are so far superior to the rest in the industry and that's just plain wrong.

I dislike the word wannabe. That just carries a lot of negativity and stupid people use it. Either you rap, or you don't. No such thing as wannabe. Its like me calling you a wannabe Apple enthusiast.

You haven't gone through some of the previous posts I wrote earlier. I am not saying the Bose headphones are the best in the industry.

I'm saying the Bose QC15 at $300 will be a better value for the buyer than the Beats/Sin counterparts (in the $300 range). Superior comfort, noise cancellation, and great blend of sound! That's it.

Last edited:

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Why spend your hard earned money on a Apple computer when you can get the same at 1/3 the price? Both do the exact same thing. The experience differs.

Same applies to cables. Cryo cables look great and I would assume there is some science that explains why it was introduced to the world in the first place (over traditional copper (twines))

If it wasn't for cable innovation we wouldn't be able to discuss this thousands of miles apart.

Needless to say, spending money is a good thing. And I encourage you to spend more of it! You don't want the German economy to stagnate. By all means keep that money moving, especially into the US by buying Apple! That'll make up for that lovely S7 in my driveway... :)

Oh boy. I can praise the S7's beauty and the Schwaben build quality like I do headphones and everything else insanely great! :D

Yeah well you are kind of making my point:

Apple has a great buildt quality and has different software and hardware then PCs. I can't get a high DPI screen, in such a small chassis with such great battery life like I do with my 13" rMBP on any Windows Notebook. It was a now brained to me, as I work heavily with text and pictures everyday and In getting a good rebate through Apple on Campus. I would however not spend the normal price on it, because 2000$ just doesn't feel right. I don't feel like I get the same value in return when spending that much money.

Cables are something different. It has been scientifically proven, that cryo cables are bogus. It's just electrons moving through the cable. If you want something "superior" to cooper, get silver wires, but I really doubt it will make any difference, evaluate after all, it'a still just electrons moving through the wire. You are falling for their advertisement. You don't even know what they do with the cables. They probably just buy them cheaply on bulk, manufacture them by hand with some fancy connector and sell it to you for 500$. It's simply a rip of and no value what so ever. And while in act spending money is certainly good for economy on normal scale, this kind of behavior actually leads to inflation...basic business science...

But alas I see there is probably not a point in discussing this any further. You live in your in world so by all means, do however you please.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
If you don't like Beats you're racist against African-Americans. It's that simple. :)

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Isn't that what they are already doing?

First selling you music outright on iTunes.
And then charging you a monthly* fee to stream to you with iTunes Match?

:p

* OK, so the fee is yearly, not monthly

They're doing the same thing as Amazon's AutoRipper but not streaming where I can pay monthly or yearly and listen to anything I want, not just the music I bought.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
Spotify5mmsubs.jpg

Spotify will have around 7 million paying subscribers by the end of this year.

7 million paying on average $120 a year = $840 million a year

Subscription will coexist with legal downloads and CD purchase. But with the rise of smartphone, subscription services are also becoming more popular.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
They're doing the same thing as Amazon's AutoRipper but not streaming where I can pay monthly or yearly and listen to anything I want, not just the music I bought.
Sure.
But why would they offer "unlimited" (more or less) streaming?
I don't think it makes sense for iTunes/Amazon from a business perspective (yet).

Purchasing songs/albums has only recently become "mainstream", even among non-technophile and/or older people. The average Joe has - only recently - moved from CD purchases to Amazon/iTunes Download purchases (if they are still paying for music rather than pirating, that is). And a lot of them are still entrenched in the idea of "owning" their music. So this mainstream crowd are the customers to whom Amazon and iTunes are catering to: by selling individual songs & albums. The matching functionality to move your existing collection over is sold as an "add-on".

I guess that makes them more money in the end than offering a subscription service. Especially when you consider that Apple is still making and selling lots of non-streaming capable hardware (iPods) which the streaming services aren't.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Sure.
But why would they offer "unlimited" (more or less) streaming?
I don't think it makes sense for iTunes/Amazon from a business perspective (yet).

Purchasing songs/albums has only recently become "mainstream", even among non-technophile and/or older people. The average Joe has - only recently - moved from CD purchases to Amazon/iTunes Download purchases (if they are still paying for music rather than pirating, that is). And a lot of them are still entrenched in the idea of "owning" their music. So this mainstream crowd are the customers to whom Amazon and iTunes are catering to: by selling individual songs & albums. The matching functionality to move your existing collection over is sold as an "add-on".

I guess that makes them more money in the end than offering a subscription service. Especially when you consider that Apple is still making and selling lots of non-streaming capable hardware (iPods) which the streaming services aren't.

Justing looking at the popularity of streaming sites shows it's a great potential revenue stream. People listen to the radio without owning the songs...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.