Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Just took the plunge and bought my first Mac computer. Been using the iPhone practically since it came out and I love my ipad 3 and apple TVs so when I started looking for a newer computer to replace the laptop (PC) that I have been using for the last year or so (5 yr old laptop with 2.2 Ghz core duo processor, win7 home, and 3GB of ram). A bit nervous since I have never used a Mac OS before (not counting iOS).

Current setup: 2008/9 Lenovo Core Duo 2.2 Ghz processor laptop with Win7 Home 32 bit, 3 GB of RAM used as an iTunes server to stream video/audio to three ATV3s and 2 iPads. Used to convert some videos from mkv or avi format to m4v format using Airvideo most of the time and Handbrake occationally. I remote into it mostly using Splashtop app and sometimes LogMeIn. Rarely actually sit down at it except to organize downloaded content.

Purchased the 2.6 quad core mini with 4 GB of ram (already purchased 16GB of Kingston ram from amazon), and the 1TB Fusion drive. Going to pick up the wireless keyboard locally. Any recommendations for either the Magic Mouse or trackpad? I plan on using this connected to my 47" Vizio 1080p LED LCD TV or my Sceptre 32" LED LCD 720p TV.

Thinking about this later on
http://www.bullettrain.com/express.html
In silver.

Last edited:

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Just ordered my 2.3 i7 along with 16gb crucial ram and dell u2412m monitor

Hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week so I can get it all setup before I go back to work.

I'm moving from a 2009 24" 2.66 core2duo machine with 8gb ram, 1tb hd and 120gb ssd in the SuperDrive slot

I'm hoping ill see a performance increase even without a ssd in the mini

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Just took the plunge and bought my first Mac computer. Been using the iPhone practically since it came out and I love my ipad 3 and apple TVs so when I started looking for a newer computer to replace the laptop (PC) that I have been using for the last year or so (5 yr old laptop with 2.2 Ghz core duo processor, win7 home, and 3GB of ram). A bit nervous since I have never used a Mac OS before (not counting iOS).

Current setup: 2008/9 Lenovo Core Duo 2.2 Ghz processor laptop with Win7 Home 32 bit, 3 GB of RAM used as an iTunes server to stream video/audio to three ATV3s and 2 iPads. Used to convert some videos from mkv or avi format to m4v format using Airvideo most of the time and Handbrake occationally. I remote into it mostly using Splashtop app and sometimes LogMeIn. Rarely actually sit down at it except to organize downloaded content.

Purchased the 2.6 quad core mini with 4 GB of ram (already purchased 16GB of Kingston ram from amazon), and the 1TB Fusion drive. Going to pick up the wireless keyboard locally. Any recommendations for either the Magic Mouse or trackpad? I plan on using this connected to my 47" Vizio 1080p LED LCD TV or my Sceptre 32" LED LCD 720p TV.

Thinking about this later on
http://www.bullettrain.com/express.html
In silver.
Congrats on your purchase! Avoid the Magic Mouse whatever you do - get something from Logitech or Razer or similar. I haven't used the trackpad, personally.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Congrats on your purchase! Avoid the Magic Mouse whatever you do - get something from Logitech or Razer or similar. I haven't used the trackpad, personally.

Just to ask, why avoid the Magic Mouse? I already have a wireless mouse I use with my laptop so may just use the same thing.

SoCalReviews

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Scott, Congratulations on your new Mini purchase. I am also a PC user who went with the Mac Mini last year. I have both a Windows PC and a Mac Mini connected to the same Samsung 23" 1080p LED monitor/TV. I initially had my doubts about the Apple wireless trackpad and keyboard. For years my PC setup has been a MS ergonomic keyboard and a Logitech wireless trackball. One of the store reps where I purchased my mid-2011 Mac Mini convinced me that the trackpad and keyboard worked really well and I was intrigued with the design so I went with it.

It turns out that after getting used to using the trackpad gestures and customizing the settings for it I find that the Apple trackpad gesture capable device is among my favorite features. When I first set up my Mini I pushed down on the trackpad to physically click it like using a mouse but after experimenting with the function and settings I prefer tapping on it similar to the control on standard PC notebooks (one finger for traditional left mouse click or two fingers simultaneously for right mouse click).

I haven't tried the Magic Mouse but as you learn the multi-finger swiping gestures for the trackpad (some of them have to be enabled in the settings...I enabled up to four finger gesture control) you may find it as being more efficient than using a traditional style mouse. For enhanced comfort I have a Belkin brand gel wrist pad rest for when I use the track pad placed on my desktop. The Apple wireless keyboard doesn't take up very much desktop space and despite being used to primarily using a full sized MS ergonomic keyboard for many years the Apple keyboard just seems to be really easy for me to type on.

Another option you have with the Mac is to plug a regular PC keyboard and mouse (wired or via wireless) into the Mac for use simultaneously along with the Apple keyboard and trackpad. I did this and it allowed me to use either the Apple devices via the built in Apple Bluetooth or my MS keyboard (wired via USB port) and Logitech wireless (via the Logitech wireless adapter plugged into USB port). The advantage of having both is that you can use the Apple devices to control the system at a distance and leave the other devices near the computer. It also gives you the option of using a standard keyboard and mouse if you are running Windows in bootcamp or in a virtual machine such as Parallels. It is very easy to turn the Apple wireless keyboard or trackpad on or off at any time by holding down the button on the top right side. The entire button is also used as the battery cover. You simply hold down the button on either device for a few seconds to turn on or off.

Last edited:

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Scott, Congratulations on your new Mini purchase. I am also a PC user who went with the Mac Mini last year. I have both a Windows PC and a Mac Mini connected to the same Samsung 23" 1080p LED monitor/TV. I initially had my doubts about the Apple wireless trackpad and keyboard. For years my PC setup has been a MS ergonomic keyboard and a Logitech wireless trackball. One of the store reps where I purchased my mid-2011 Mac Mini convinced me that the trackpad and keyboard worked really well and I was intrigued with the design so I went with it.

It turns out that after getting used to using the trackpad gestures and customizing the settings for it I find that the Apple trackpad gesture capable device is among my favorite features. When I first set up my Mini I pushed down on the trackpad to physically click it like using a mouse but after experimenting with the function and settings I prefer tapping on it similar to the control on standard PC notebooks (one finger for traditional left mouse click or two fingers simultaneously for right mouse click).

I haven't tried the Magic Mouse but as you learn the multi-finger swiping gestures for the trackpad (some of them have to be enabled in the settings...I enabled up to four finger gesture control) you may find it as being more efficient than using a traditional style mouse. For enhanced comfort I have a Belkin brand gel wrist pad rest for when I use the track pad placed on my desktop. The Apple wireless keyboard doesn't take up very much desktop space and despite being used to primarily using a full sized MS ergonomic keyboard for many years the Apple keyboard just seems to be really easy for me to type on.

Another option you have with the Mac is to plug a regular PC keyboard and mouse (wired or via wireless) into the Mac for use simultaneously along with the Apple keyboard and trackpad. I did this and it allowed me to use either the Apple devices via the built in Apple Bluetooth or my MS keyboard (wired via USB port) and Logitech wireless (via the Logitech wireless adapter plugged into USB port). The advantage of having both is that you can use the Apple devices to control the system at a distance and leave the other devices near the computer. It also gives you the option of using a standard keyboard and mouse if you are running Windows in bootcamp or in a virtual machine such as Parallels. It is very easy to turn the Apple wireless keyboard or trackpad on or off at any time by holding down the button on the top right side. The entire button is also used as the battery cover. You simply hold down the button on either device for a few seconds to turn on or off.

Thank you very much for the information. That was definitely useful. I have a wireless mouse and a wired keyboard connected the laptop at the moment for easier use. I connected the laptop to my 47" Vizio LED TV via VGA and use that most of the time to view my computer. I plan on doing the same with the mini and using the wireless apple keyboard and probably my current wireless mouse for the time being with the TV. I am nervous with the new operating system since I have always used windows in some form and use Win7 at work but all my other devices at home are apple and I love how they all integrate with each other. That and I hate how iTunes runs on windows. I am hoping with the new quad core, additional speed bump in processor and OS X operating system the lag that I got with iTunes in windows will be gone. Thanks again for the info.

mjgriffo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
Finally took the plunge and ordered the 2.6Ghz Mac mini with 4gb ram (upgrading myself to crucial 16gb and 512gb samsung 840 pro ssd) and also a Thunderbolt Display, mouse, keyboard the works!!

I leave behind an old white iMac from 2006 so the difference will be immense!

Couple of questions if you don't mind!

1. I'm presuming thunderbolt cable is shipped with the display? Does anyone have any idea how long this cable is? Really wanted the Mac mini on a shelf with with my external drives away from the desk. Apple seems to only stock 2m was thinking nearer 3-4m.

2. Once I switch out the hard drive for SSD using the YouTube videos, what's the method to then install mountain lion on the drive. Can it be done over the net?

3. Is there a market for selling old iMacs. (Any nostalgic types of people!!) it's the following model.
20-inch iMac (Early 2006), 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo
What sort of price would it fetch? In good condition, mouse and keyboard included. I think there may be a problem with the internal speaker though. Seems to distort sound when not played through my speakers.

Cheers
Mark

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Just got my Mini (typing on it now). Now I get to have the fun of setting it up for the rest of the day. Let the games begin.

mariotheotaku

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Just got confirmation from Apple that my Mini has shipped and it will be on the 10th along with a refurbished Thunderbolt display.

2.3 i7
4gb ram (will upgrade later to 16gb)
Fusion drive

I also ordered a MBA that will roughly get here around the same time. :D

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
My 2.6ghz, 1tb Fusion Mini arrived today, bunged 16gb Crucial ram into it and now it's flying :)

Very tempted by a TB display but going to hold off in the hope of new iMac style chassis. Plus, more USB 3.0 ports are always welcome.

For now, I'm using my Dell u2711, itself a great monitor but the DisplayPort is b0rked* on ALL u2711's unfortunately, so I'm using the Dual Link DVI adaptor, itself a p.o.s** in certain ways.

*Goes into power saving mode occasionally and refuses to turn on again via DP. Much frustration and cycling of inputs (physically pulling them out) later, it will work again, but can't be relied upon. Googling shows it's a very common flaw with this specific model and hasn't been, nor ever will be, fixed. Had it for years though, has been a great monitor for my PC otherwise but do NOT recommend it for use with DisplayPort of any description.

**Reviews of the Dual Link Adaptor on the Apple Store aren't kidding. It's pretty flakey, sometimes displays this weird pixel fuzz when resuming from sleep. Happens with multiple monitors I've tried it with. Apple, tsk tsk. Common fault, easily rectified by cycling back and forward to another input, but still.

rand0m3r

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Hi, i just bought a refurbished mac mini 2011 model since i didn't want the new one with the integrated graphics.

however, when i stream videos off the net, it often goes glitchy and freezes. i've tried using a HDMI cable and HDMI-to-DVI cable. do you think getting a mini displayport to DVI cable will make a difference or is the problem related to the graphics card?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    557.1 KB · Views: 286

hunterford93

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
mac mini problems

hi guys i recently purchased a mac mini 2011 off craigslist and im having some issues my computer continues to crash it happens at least once a day so far I've wiped the hard drive clean and also put the new mountain lion OS on it the only out side apps i have the computer right now is vuze and a 30 day trial of nortan 360. is there any ideas of what it could be causing it too crash.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Bought my Mac Mini as an open item from Best Buy. It was the $799 one and I got it for $599 plus another $100 in coupons. After realizing that the geek squad knew nothing about Macs, I dumped it for apple care. I'm thankfull I did as last week the HD drive failed and being replaced.

I upgraded the memory to 8 gb.

uncleMonty

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
Screaming

I'm all set up finally with my 2.6 i7, 16 GB Corsair RAM, two 256 GB Samsung 840 Pros, and it *screams*. Using the blackmagic disk speed app I get 519 MB/s read and 492 MB/s write. And using the geekbench 2 it gets a geekbench score of over 12,000 (in 32-bit mode). Super happy with my purchases.

Scott Botkins

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
Just ordered my mac mini i5 from amazon along with a 23" hd monitor. My late 2009 27" iMac display has gone bad. I'll never buy an all-in-one computer again.

HungryWolf

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
Just received my refurbished mid-2011 i5 Mini in the mail.

I've got a 240 GB Intel SSD(black Friday deal) w/ the OWC dual HDD kit on deck, as well as 16 GB of ram. I'm going to use my current 20" ACD with it and pass on my 2010 C2D Mini to my mom.

This thing should easily last me a few years as a main computer and HTPC combo. I'm excited for my first SSD experience. :)

PBUK

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
Hi, after 20 years of Windows, I'd had enough of (Not responding) and general registry clog slowdown. So I've opted for a base i5 dual core mini. It's a business machine, and so I'll probably upgrade to 8 or 16gb Crucial RAM and run Windows 7 in Parallels for the usual accounts and quotes software. Other than that its just Email and web based work.

I'm thinking this machine should last me 4 years at least.

I'm planning to back to up a NAS at home - would that work with the mini at the office?

I'm also hoping to log onto the mini from home using the iPad 3. I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to best app to do this please.

Can't wait for it to arrive...:D

1934hotrod

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2013
Woodstock
Just ordered my mac mini i5 from amazon along with a 23" hd monitor. My late 2009 27" iMac display has gone bad. I'll never buy an all-in-one computer again.

Oh yeah that is a gotcha for sure, folks do not realize the down side of all in one, separate components is the way to go.

Cheers,
Greg

Sujahat

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2013
Planning to buy a used Mac mini

Do I buy this Mac Mini 2007

Description: -APPLE Mac mini
Processor Inter Core2Duo 1.83GHz
RAM 1GB (DDR2)
HD 80GB
DVD Combo Drive
OS OS X v10.5 Leopard
WiFi,Bluetooth
-Apple Wireless slim keyborad
-APPLE Wireless mouse

I'm a pretty advance user when it comes to windows being a network administrator.

I am use to disassembling iPhones, iPods. The reason to buy this is to upgrade the memory hard drive and playaround upgrading to the latest 10.8 lion. Might upgrade the processor as well. Sole reason is to mess around with it then give it to my wife for her occasional browsing, Skype use. Might also use as a Apple TV for AirPlay. Getting a deal for $270. With a slim wireless keyboard and wireless Mighty Mouse. Is it a good deal or am I better of searching some more.

Last edited:

LCD

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
USA

The day you posted your comment, I received a 2012 Mini from Apple and a 23" hd monitor from Amazon, also deciding never to buy an all-in-one computer again.

The 17" display of a March 2006 iMac I bought new went out in October 2012. The original panel was replaced under Apple Care in October 2007 after different colored, 1-pixel wide vertical lines began covering it.

Now with only an iPad, I waited six weeks to order a 2012 21.5" iMac and then six more returning two of them because of screen issues.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
What should be a fair price for a slightly used MD387LL/A Mini (October 2012 release)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.