Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Chrome Sector 5

Even though I currently own two Sector 5 cases, if Element offered a chromed (nickel plated) Sector 5 with maybe the links they used for Black Ops I would fall all over myself ordering it. I wouldn't think twice and I think there would be many others doing the same. The Ronin has nickel but I just don't see wood on a high tech object. if the Ronin had a black composite instead of wood for a lesser price I'm there.

I wish they would respond, whether or not they have plans for this in the near future?

Last edited:

Swayzee

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
I wish they started selling different backplates already. I am really waiting for the CF one, i hope they were able to fix the problems that they had with them.

duffc

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
I ordered the Sector 5 with overnight shipping and 10% off coupon. Hopefully I get it soon.

heelsbigc

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Wilmington, NC
Just got my silver sector 5 and a black ops. The black ops fits perfectly, but the silver is a little wonky. The right hand side flexes in and out and clicks. Is there an adjustment to make it fit better or is this a defect?

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Just got my silver sector 5 and a black ops. The black ops fits perfectly, but the silver is a little wonky. The right hand side flexes in and out and clicks. Is there an adjustment to make it fit better or is this a defect?

I have a first edition and a silver. Both are a very tight fit to the extent that it was hard to align screw holes. Did you use the rash guards? If not they would be loose.

heelsbigc

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Wilmington, NC
Didnt put on the rash guards as I've got some colored ones on the way. I'm confused why the one case fits so perfectly but the other one seems so off. I've sent element an email about it.

heelsbigc

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2011
Wilmington, NC
i'm a dumbass

:eek: I figured it out. It was good old fashioned user error. The hard backplate from the black ops was mis-aligned just enough to get in the way of the right side of the silver case. :eek: I took the backplate off and both cases fit fine. :D:D

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
Ready for something new! Colors or something new!

----------

Even though I currently own two Sector 5 cases, if Element offered a chromed (nickel plated) Sector 5 with maybe the links they used for Black Ops I would fall all over myself ordering it. I wouldn't think twice and I think there would be many others doing the same. The Ronin has nickel but I just don't see wood on a high tech object. if the Ronin had a black composite instead of wood for a lesser price I'm there.

I wish they would respond, whether or not they have plans for this in the near future?
Agree, I'm ready to see chrome or nickel or something new!

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Well I've had my FE Sector 5 since the first batch, and it's not holding up so well. It's almost as if it's beginning to stretch and my phone is almost falling out of the bumper now. The phone moves a bunch in the bumper, it's not solid at all. I think it may have to do with the foam on the inside being flattened now. So now the phone isn't tight and it's wiggling all around in the bumper.

Going to email Element support and see what they say. But this should not be happening on a $160 case.

Dexy

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
Well I've had my FE Sector 5 since the first batch, and it's not holding up so well. It's almost as if it's beginning to stretch and my phone is almost falling out of the bumper now. The phone moves a bunch in the bumper, it's not solid at all. I think it may have to do with the foam on the inside being flattened now. So now the phone isn't tight and it's wiggling all around in the bumper.

Going to email Element support and see what they say. But this should not be happening on a $160 case.

can you post a pic of this? :confused:

mattdouin

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2013
I ordered a case less than 2 weeks ago and have received it. The fitment isn't that good and I'm looking at trying to get it replaced as well.
I uploaded a file to YouTube so that element could see it. Sorry about the shakiness daughter helped record it.
http://youtu.be/Yl2eEOb7BgM

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
I forgot to post a video/picture of my loose case. But Element is replacing it. They sent me a prepaid label and I sent it out today. Hopefully I'll receive a new one quickly. I have to say, I've lost a bit of the love I had for the case because of it. I thought the thing would be indestructible, but it looks like that is far from the case.

When the case was on, you could slide one side of the case down and shift the case back and forth. And the phone was loose enough where it was almost falling out of the case. And I think it has to do with the microsuede on the inside of the case. So I wouldn't be surprised if every case ends up like this.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I forgot to post a video/picture of my loose case. But Element is replacing it. They sent me a prepaid label and I sent it out today. Hopefully I'll receive a new one quickly. I have to say, I've lost a bit of the love I had for the case because of it. I thought the thing would be indestructible, but it looks like that is far from the case.

When the case was on, you could slide one side of the case down and shift the case back and forth. And the phone was loose enough where it was almost falling out of the case. And I think it has to do with the microsuede on the inside of the case. So I wouldn't be surprised if every case ends up like this.

I've had an FE on since the beginning. It was so tight I found it hard to join the link to screw it together. I also have a silver model I had on for a couple of weeks. It was the same struggle to get on. Back to the FE still extremely tight. Did you use the rash guards? If you used a skin that doesn't wrap over the chamfer, maybe that allows looseness.

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
I've had an FE on since the beginning. It was so tight I found it hard to join the link to screw it together. I also have a silver model I had on for a couple of weeks. It was the same struggle to get on. Back to the FE still extremely tight. Did you use the rash guards? If you used a skin that doesn't wrap over the chamfer, maybe that allows looseness.

I used the LuckyLabs wrap around the edges. And the case was so loose, there's no way having the sticker on the chamfer would make any difference.

When I first got the case, it was as you describe and I had to squeeze it to screw it together. But that is no longer the case. If you held the edges of the case and shook the phone, you could feel the phone moving around inside the bumper.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I used the LuckyLabs wrap around the edges. And the case was so loose, there's no way having the sticker on the chamfer would make any difference.

When I first got the case, it was as you describe and I had to squeeze it to screw it together. But that is no longer the case. If you held the edges of the case and shook the phone, you could feel the phone moving around inside the bumper.

My guess is they may have had a bad batch. It's strange there haven't been more examples of the problem reported.

Good luck on the new one.

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Element told me they would change my Sector 5 FE to a Black Ops if I paid the price difference because they will be replacing mine anyways with the warranty. Not the tough decision on whether I should do it. I'm thinking yes, I already ordered the Black Ops holster, and planned on ordering the back plate when it is released. But I might as well get the real thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.