Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MN7119

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2011
I have a 60 inches Samsung Smart TV. The most amazing TV I ever had. All my devices are connected into a AV receiver and the Samsung TV is connected to the receiver. Apple TV works like a charm.

mcnallym

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2008
Seems to be pretty much the standard response from Samsung regarding AppleTV.

I have a ATV mk1 connected to a Samsung 26" R74 via component. I originally had them connected via HDMI cable, however I found that once had some iTunes purchased content then would not play as could not find HDCP.

Worked fine on my Dell 30" monitor ( obviously though no sound though as no speakers ).

Samsungs response

Apple implemented a non-standard HDMI on the AppleTV, need to talk to Apple.

What it actually is that Samsung neglected to put HDCP on the HDMI ports of that generation of TV and so therefore can't playback. However Samsung wouldn't admit that.

Had been looking at getting a new 32" 1080P and ATV mk3 however will definitely be crossing Samsung off the list as looks like they haven't gotten any better.

DavidBarrett

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
One thing I can think of is that if the TV is 720p and not capable with 1080p you may have to change it to 720p in order for it to work. I would change the setting on the TV that works and then plug it back into the TV that doesn't work and see if that helps. Also there might be a 60hz/50hz compatability issue.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
was the Apple TV plugged in to power ?

I have an AppleTV on my 60" LED Samsung SmarTV, 2 - 51" Plasma Samsungs, a 32" LCD Samsung and they all work fine even without an overpriced HDMI cable from Apple.
Those cheap-O monoprice cables have been performing perfectly.

jamesco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Originally Posted by jamesco I know this is strange and everyone is saying its not

Again, like I said. The Apple TV is fine -

1) I tested it in the Apple store and it was fine.
2)Same HDMI cable and same Apple TV unit would NOT work on most Samsung TVs I tested it on in a large TV store.
3)I have tried other HDMI cables but still had the same result, but again this is irrelevant as I tried it in a TV store and it would not work on most Samsungs.
4)Apple UK had no idea why this would happen, and told me to call Samsung.
5)Samsung UK (probably a call centre in India) said NO Apple TVs should be compatible with Samsung TVs going forward. Call them and check for yourself, as they will tell you the same thing).
6) the rename the HDMI input to PC does not fix
7)neither does the disable Hot Plug as on newer Samsungs there is no Hotplug (not that I can find anyway and ive tried the engineers menu)

I gather everyone elses Apple TV is working fine, but I am not amking this problem up. Try taking a 2012 Apple TV into a TV store and try it on several Samsungs and you will see what I mean...

ultra7k

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2012
I don't know if this helps or not but could 120hz frame rate be the issue? But then again, most if not all TVs in the last couple years have shipped with the 120hz...so I don't know.

My tv is only 60hz (which I prefer...I can't stand 120hz tv...it just looks wrong to me, though from what I understand you can disable it now and set it to 60hz manually?)

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I don't know if this helps or not but could 120hz frame rate be the issue? But then again, most if not all TVs in the last couple years have shipped with the 120hz...so I don't know.

My tv is only 60hz (which I prefer...I can't stand 120hz tv...it just looks wrong to me, though from what I understand you can disable it now and set it to 60hz manually?)

Don't think so, my tv is 240hz and works just fine

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
User Error

I've used the ATV on 5 different TVs - including a Samsung - without any issues described here.

I'd seriously suspect either user error (wrong HDMI port selected etc) or a bad HDMI port on the TV.
Can you test the HDMI port with another device (DVD player etc) and the ATV in a known working port?

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Just went into Best Buy here in the states with both my Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3. I tested it on 6 separate 2012 model Samsung TVs (ranging from 40"-65"), 3 Sharps, 2 LGs, 2 Sonys, and a Panasonic. Not one of them had a single issue. They all instantly recognized the Apple TV when I plugged in the power and HDMI cords and all switched to the input within 10-15 seconds.

BigOlDog

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
To the OP. I have my ATV hooked to a denon avr 1913 which is connected to my Samsung and at times I cant get it to play either. I hit the menu button and get it to come on (power light) and even gone as far as using my iPad with AirPlay and no luck.

When this happens I simply shut everything down AirPort Extreme EVERYTHING. a complete disconnect from power wait a few and plug in. Everything comes around with no issues. I have to do this maybe once a month so idk if its an Internet connection or in your thoughts the tv but figured I'd share my story.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

1) I tested it in the Apple store and it was fine.
2)Same HDMI cable and same Apple TV unit would NOT work on most Samsung TVs I tested it on in a large TV store.
3)I have tried other HDMI cables but still had the same result, but again this is irrelevant as I tried it in a TV store and it would not work on most Samsungs.
4)Apple UK had no idea why this would happen, and told me to call Samsung.
5)Samsung UK (probably a call centre in India) said NO Apple TVs should be compatible with Samsung TVs going forward. Call them and check for yourself, as they will tell you the same thing).
6) the rename the HDMI input to PC does not fix
7)neither does the disable Hot Plug as on newer Samsungs there is no Hotplug (not that I can find anyway and ive tried the engineers menu)

I gather everyone elses Apple TV is working fine, but I am not amking this problem up. Try taking a 2012 Apple TV into a TV store and try it on several Samsungs and you will see what I mean...

As in my last post, I say again it is your AppleTV, if all or at least many of them had problems we would have heard a LOT of noise here on MR and the internets.

IT is your AppleTV or a faulty Samsung TV or whatever cable you have.

Many posters already said to have no problems at all yet you go on with your 'rant".

Get a new AppleTV after you brought yours back, if it still gives problems let Samsung check your TV.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
sounds like you may be on the wrong HDMI channel (input) try and shuttle through using the samsung tv remotes "source" button or trying another HDMI cable.
There won't be a problem with the AppleTV or the TV so try another HDMI cable or another HDMI input.

Aliencowboy69

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Very strange! A friend of mine just purchased (within the last week)the latest Samsung smart TV and a 3rd gen :apple:TV and everything works fine.

jamesco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013

As in my last post, I say again it is your AppleTV, if all or at least many of them had problems we would have heard a LOT of noise here on MR and the internets.

IT is your AppleTV or a faulty Samsung TV or whatever cable you have.

Many posters already said to have no problems at all yet you go on with your 'rant".

Get a new AppleTV after you brought yours back, if it still gives problems let Samsung check your TV.

Thanks for the constructive feed back.
A "Rant"? Did you not read my post?

The Apple TV DOES work of some TVs. Forget my TV, forget the HDMI cable. There is something which is stopping the Samsung TVS recognising the Apple TV. Yes, Samsung helpline may well be run by morons but they siad to me that Apple TV is NOT compatible with any Samsung TVs.

Yesterday I paid one of the Apple Genius Bar staff to come with me to the TV store and then to my house to show him the problem. He did say he has never seen it before but still could not figure out what the problem was.
We then went back to Apple and I exchanged it for a new Apple TV (which was pointless it was a working Apple TV, just not with certain Samsungs), and still the same problem.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Thanks for the constructive feed back.
A "Rant"? Did you not read my post?

The Apple TV DOES work of some TVs. Forget my TV, forget the HDMI cable. There is something which is stopping the Samsung TVS recognising the Apple TV. Yes, Samsung helpline may well be run by morons but they siad to me that Apple TV is NOT compatible with any Samsung TVs.

Yesterday I paid one of the Apple Genius Bar staff to come with me to the TV store and then to my house to show him the problem. He did say he has never seen it before but still could not figure out what the problem was.
We then went back to Apple and I exchanged it for a new Apple TV (which was pointless it was a working Apple TV, just not with certain Samsungs), and still the same problem.

Multiple people seem to have used the ATV3 with a 2012 / 2013 Samsung TV with no problems. Maybe it's area dependent ?

What TV format do you have. Maybe it's a PAL vs NTSC issue ?

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Multiple people seem to have used the ATV3 with a 2012 / 2013 Samsung TV. Maybe it's area dependent ?

If it was a big problem it would have been all over the internet/media and it is not, there are millions of these sold and millions Samsung TV's are sold, there must be 10.000s of people with both an AppleTV and a Samsung TV, by now it would be a know widespread problem and it is NOT.

And it is a newbie, I am not believing any of what he says.

jamesco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
If it was a big problem it would have been all over the internet/media and it is not, there are millions of these sold and millions Samsung TV's are sold, there must be 10.000s of people with both an AppleTV and a Samsung TV, by now it would be a know widespread problem and it is NOT.

And it is a newbie, I am not believing any of what he says.

...and because this is the first time ive posted on this website makes me a newbie?
As I have previously said, Samsung have said there is a problem, or an incompatibility issue. Call them for yourself and explain my post and see what they say.

Yes, it may be area dependant, but again what I haev seen is than when you move the ATV from set to set it doesnt work on all TVs.

Plus after the Genius bar employee seeing what I showed him yesterday means it isnt area dependant.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
...and because this is the first time ive posted on this website makes me a newbie?
As I have previously said, Samsung have said there is a problem, or an incompatibility issue. Call them for yourself and explain my post and see what they say.

Yes, it may be area dependant, but again what I haev seen is than when you move the ATV from set to set it doesnt work on all TVs.

Plus after the Genius bar employee seeing what I showed him yesterday means it isnt area dependant.

You registered January 2013, and it says you are a newbie, that to me means you are a NEWBIE!
Plenty of people can't be trusted nowadays on the internet, plenty here as well.

But whatever, I said there is NO noise anywhere about Samsung-AppleTV incompatibility yet you don't want to hear this.
Show me articles and links which tell about this huge problem, you can't.

jamesco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
You registered January 2013, and it says you are a newbie, that to me means you are a NEWBIE!
Plenty of people can't be trusted nowadays on the internet, plenty here as well.

But whatever, I said there is NO noise anywhere about Samsung-AppleTV incompatibility yet you don't want to hear this.
Show me articles and links which tell about this huge problem, you can't.

Google it, there are people on the discussion boards with the same problem from a year or so ago, therefore there is a problem.
I dont agree with Samsung that ATV is not compatible, but there must be some setting in a Samsung which stops the TV recognising the ATV.

I have SKY TV in one of the HDMI ports which I have tried in all ports and it is fine, and as I have previously said I have tried my ATV in other brand new TVs and it does not work on all of them.

Yes, I am a newbie to this site, as I have never felt the need to post as I have never had an issue with any of my Apple products. Clearly you do not have an answer to my issue so leave it for someone else to answer if you cant give a constructive answer.
I have detailed what I have tried and also what an Apple Genius bar staff has tried, so its clearly is a problem with the Samsung TV.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Samsung sometimes posts firmware updates for their TVs, worth checking into.

Thread title should be.

"My Apple TV doesn't work on my Samsung TV"

Rant: Samsung is another "me too" type of company, that puts getting new customers above taking care of current ones.

PS OP which model is it?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Google it,

I did and was unable to find other post indicating that the ATV will not interface to Samsung TVs (new or otherwise). I did however find some post indicating jitter issues between the ATV and Samsung TV. Could you please post the Google links to the interface issue since I would like to read about any ATV / Samsung issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.