Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Mine looks fairly similar. Do you find if you move your head down lower that the yellowing is lessened? For my 2012 27" iMac it is. It's viewing angles causing most (not all) of the yellow.

Anyway, I'd say that's not too bad considering. If everything else is in order, I'd keep it, but that's just this nutter's opinion. :)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's viewing angles causing most (not all) of the yellow.

If that's the case it's just bad stand design. Typically a primary display of that size would be centered in front of the viewer. Being able to adjust height to eye level would solve a viewing angle problem.

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Here is my late 2012 iMac 27.

What do you think? Should I return it?

Attachments

• photo copy.JPG
    photo copy.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 196
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 196

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
The worst thing is waiting a month for it to arrive only to have these crazy issues. Mine is still processing for ages now and reading all these issues is getting me down before I even know what the state of mine will be. Usually this kind of crap happens to me.. I got lucky with my GoPro Hero 3 recently, hopefully I am still in that luck streak. My cintiq has 2 dead pixels close enough to the middle and wacom wants mega $ for me to send it back under warranty. I heard people who send it back have it arrive back to them with dirt under the display and not only that but 4-5 months later.

Sometimes I think life would be a lot less annoying if my job didn't require computers. I would get an iPad for internet banking, email etc and live my life happily.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
If that's the case it's just bad stand design. Typically a primary display of that size would be centered in front of the viewer. Being able to adjust height to eye level would solve a viewing angle problem.

Oh I agree. My 2009 27" iMac IPS panel didn't have this issue, and neither did any iMacs I ever used back then. No matter what anyone says, these 2012 panels are NOT the same, despite supposedly having the same model numbers. Whether it's the lamination or a usage of different parts, the result is something has changed.

Calipad

Suspended
Mar 16, 2012
Oh I agree. My 2009 27" iMac IPS panel didn't have this issue, and neither did any iMacs I ever used back then. No matter what anyone says, these 2012 panels are NOT the same, despite supposedly having the same model numbers. Whether it's the lamination or a usage of different parts, the result is something has changed.

Did you see my post? Compared to yours do you think mine is too yellow?

Thank you.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
No matter what anyone says, these 2012 panels are NOT the same, despite supposedly having the same model numbers.

I've made a similar point on here before in that the panel number is only a partial description of what you're buying. Implementation matters just as much, if not more. I can name an incredibly broad range of brands and price points that can all be traced back to the same few panel numbers. They're basically commodity items. Second tier vendors buy up A- and possibly B grade panels. A few brands hand pick panels for their top tier lines. I look at panel used as only part of the equation to a working product. In Apple's case if you buy directly, you can always return it and try again if you are unsatisfied. There is some advantage in that. It's what I'd do, but I wouldn't go through a dozen like some people on here. After 2 or 3, I'd move on to a different product. It's important to realize that most of these were likely approved by Apple's QA. They can just put them up for sale if the majority of purchasers are satisfied.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Did you see my post? Compared to yours do you think mine is too yellow?

Thank you.

What post...?

I've made a similar point on here before in that the panel number is only a partial description of what you're buying. Implementation matters just as much, if not more. I can name an incredibly broad range of brands and price points that can all be traced back to the same few panel numbers. They're basically commodity items. Second tier vendors buy up A- and possibly B grade panels. A few brands hand pick panels for their top tier lines. I look at panel used as only part of the equation to a working product. In Apple's case if you buy directly, you can always return it and try again if you are unsatisfied. There is some advantage in that. It's what I'd do, but I wouldn't go through a dozen like some people on here. After 2 or 3, I'd move on to a different product. It's important to realize that most of these were likely approved by Apple's QA. They can just put them up for sale if the majority of purchasers are satisfied.

Right, implementation is key. I've discovered that the 2012 iMac 27" panels are not responding the same as the previous-year models.

e.g 1.) The yellowing is greatly dependent on viewing angle. My lower-half yellow disappears considerably if I lower my head considerably.

2.) Black viewing angles are absolutely terrible. If I shift my head even a tiny bit to the left or right, the opposite angle blacks becomes super bright. It's really not very good.

There are other issues, but these are the main ones. It's just funny that the panel quality has degraded over the last few years. Shame, really. I truly, truly prefer my Asus VH236H (23" 1080P TN panel I use for gaming) for black levels and color uniformity. It's not even a contest! And that's a ~$150 panel. Sad.

----------

Here is my late 2012 iMac 27.

What do you think? Should I return it?

Looks to be within spec to me, especially with a calibration it will clean right up.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
This is my iMac screen, I feel it's as close to perfect as I'm going to get.

IMG_0219.png

I notice in person, a slight pinkish hue towards the lower half. I honestly think it's the anti-reflective coating since you can see a reddish hue on the glass when the iMac is off.

When viewed from ~3 ft. away it looks flawless.

If it looks a little smudgy in places, it's because I can't get the friggen glass smudge free after cleaning ARGH!!

Sasha Yu

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
Kiew
I'm kinda sad I haven't read about this problems before, since yellow monitors are from somewhere around 2009-10. I would be more accurate choosing new iMac, but still I would by iMac ))

I definitely see some yellowish coloring from up to down of a screen but not sure if its really bothering me that much. I work with graphics and photos and don't want this to affect my results, so I'm thinking of changing it. But I read a lot that another new imac doesn't mean better quality.

Would you be so nice to tell if you think this screen is ok or not at all:

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6626.jpg

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
A bit off topic, but I also noticed that 2012 MacBook Airs have worse screens than my 2010 MacBook Air. The newest MBAs definately have more washed out colors than my 2.5 year old MBA. Very disappointing that the quality of the screens Apple is using is actually getting worse, except for the retina ones.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
What post...?

Right, implementation is key. I've discovered that the 2012 iMac 27" panels are not responding the same as the previous-year models.

e.g 1.) The yellowing is greatly dependent on viewing angle. My lower-half yellow disappears considerably if I lower my head considerably.

2.) Black viewing angles are absolutely terrible. If I shift my head even a tiny bit to the left or right, the opposite angle blacks becomes super bright. It's really not very good.

There are other issues, but these are the main ones. It's just funny that the panel quality has degraded over the last few years. Shame, really. I truly, truly prefer my Asus VH236H (23" 1080P TN panel I use for gaming) for black levels and color uniformity. It's not even a contest! And that's a ~$150 panel. Sad.

I used to own one of these. It drifted way off when it got old, but for a long time it was really great. Viewing angles weren't quite on par with some of the later ones. You wouldn't notice slight changes, but severely off angle blacks would go a little weird. Uniformity was beautiful and it lacked backlight bleed. I also used one of these at times, although I never owned one personally. The same goes for these. The sony linked there used mostly vetted generic parts with custom software and a custom colorimeter designed to match the phosphors used. I'm not sure that NEC panel showed up in anything else. The CG211 used a Hitachi panel that I think showed up in a couple other lower cost but still fairly expensive displays. It's possible to find a really good display. I'm a little annoyed at Apple's options at times. Display problems with the imac would kill it for me. Even if it was excellent, the lack of a VESA compatible mount would still make it difficult. I'm not sure why they keep drifting away from established standards on everything.

Blah it really annoys me reading about viewing angle color shifts. Viewing angles have always been a strong point for IPS outside of the extremes.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Target Display Mode working for anyone?

For all of you having issues (or anyone else in this thread), test out Target Display Mode and make sure it works. My new 27" will not produce an image under Target Display and I have to send it back for a replacement. It switches over, but sits totally black with no backlight (prefs show it as a second screen on the laptops though).

Anyone on the fence should test this out and make sure its working, and if not, that's enough reason to send them back.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I'm kinda sad I haven't read about this problems before, since yellow monitors are from somewhere around 2009-10. I would be more accurate choosing new iMac, but still I would by iMac ))

I definitely see some yellowish coloring from up to down of a screen but not sure if its really bothering me that much. I work with graphics and photos and don't want this to affect my results, so I'm thinking of changing it. But I read a lot that another new imac doesn't mean better quality.

It looks cool to warmish from top left to bottom right. I don't think any screen is without any tint at all. It's the diffuser layer, it can't be perfect.

Sasha Yu

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
Kiew
It looks cool to warmish from top left to bottom right. I don't think any screen is without any tint at all. It's the diffuser layer, it can't be perfect.

Thats also what I'm thinking.

First of all I don't have a time to waste for searching a perfect display (since it looks more like a fairy tale than a reality). Second: another one may be much worser. And third it doesn't annoy me that much, I post-worked few raws now and this tint doesn't effect photos. So, since I see it only on a unicolor backgrounds its not really that big a deal. The only thing I know know - Apples QC is crap ))

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Thats also what I'm thinking.

First of all I don't have a time to waste for searching a perfect display (since it looks more like a fairy tale than a reality). Second: another one may be much worser. And third it doesn't annoy me that much, I post-worked few raws now and this tint doesn't effect photos. So, since I see it only on a unicolor backgrounds its not really that big a deal. The only thing I know know - Apples QC is crap ))

It can be MUCH worse. Look at some photos in this forum, I also went through 2, 2011 iMacs and a screen replacement before getting an acceptable one. And even it had a little tinting to one side.

Unless it Looks totally yellow (like some posted here) on a portion of the screen, I'd keep it.

Sasha Yu

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
Kiew
It can be MUCH worse. Look at some photos in this forum, I also went through 2, 2011 iMacs and a screen replacement before getting an acceptable one. And even it had a little tinting to one side.

Unless it Looks totally yellow (like some posted here) on a portion of the screen, I'd keep it.

Thanks for replying. A friend of mine also suggested, that for new ones it may be glue, since screens on a new iMacs now are in a one piece. Same thing were on the new iPads but than gone. Hope it get better. Anyway its not the reason to give up on apple )) No windows 8 for me ))

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Thanks for replying. A friend of mine also suggested, that for new ones it may be glue, since screens on a new iMacs now are in a one piece. Same thing were on the new iPads but than gone. Hope it get better. Anyway its not the reason to give up on apple )) No windows 8 for me ))

I doubt the extreme yellowing others have is glue.

The slight tinting at angles, I feel, is attributed now to the anti-reflective coating.

speekez

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2003
I have been considering one of these iMacs but troubled by the display issues I'm reading here. That said, I own an Iphone 5, and if I change my background wallpaper to something grey and look at that image while changing the angle of the phone (and therefore my viewing angle) the overall tint of the grey will seem to ever so slightly shift between warmer (yellow) and when tilted or viewed in opposite direction pinkish. Tint when viewed straight on is neutral but viewing angle shifts do bring out these tints. Sounds similar to iMac and wonder if they share similar anti reflective technologies.

Tried on my wife's phone as well same thing, so not a fluke

shiny-blanket

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007

Looks very similar to mine, a new colour profile addresses the overall warmth of the panel, however a lower viewing angle and the issue persists slighty.

Check out this thread and my colour profiles to see if it mitigates your issues.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1513149/

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
What post...?

----------

Looks to be within spec to me, especially with a calibration it will clean right up.

Thank you. How do I calibrate it?

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
I am utilizing the Spyder 3 Express. I couldn't be happier with my iMac.

Just with my iMac, calibration produces obvious improvements to the screen over the Apple calibration. . . . . and there weren't any glaring issues--however, the Black Crush thread did tug my coattail to the importance of calibration.

Those with issues or concerns owe it to themselves (and the long-term quality of their computing experience) to get their hands on a calibration solution before proceeding to the next remedy/step, contacting Apple.

Leiser

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009

Mine is exactly like yours. The only difference is that I have the yellow tint along the left screen border that you have on the right (1st Picture). 4 iMacs I have seen so far in 2 Apple Stores had the yellowing, so it really seems every iMac has it to some degree... The problem exists since four years and Apple hasn't done a thing to get rid of it.

Nicola1on1

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
Received my new iMac 27 inch on Tuesday and I am pleased to report that the screen is perfect, no yellow tinge, no bleeding and no image retention. I realise that this is of no solace for those of you with screen issues. What I wanted to point out is that there are new 27 inch iMacs with perfect screens out there, so if you are not happy with the screen get a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.