Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KrazyKuul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I have a macbook air which I think developed a software driver issue. My keyboard, trackpad, usb port, and bluetooth are what seems to be not working. It boots up fine and loads all my programs, and also connects to wifi just fine.

Can I possibly remotely control the laptop? I don't have any sharing settings enabled, but if you know of any software that forcibly lets me do this, could you lead me to it? I can do the SMC reset just fine, but I can't seem to do any of the boot-up key combinations.

If I took the ssd out and connected it to a zif-usb converter, could I install another OS and get it to work again?

thanks

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I would think u can at least do an Option-Boot, or run Hardware Diagnostic. Sounds like a hardware prob to me.

KrazyKuul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
I think ill finally give in and say its a hardware issue. Why would it recognize the keys when I do a SMC reset though? Obviously it knows I'm pressing those keys.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I think ill finally give in and say its a hardware issue. Why would it recognize the keys when I do a SMC reset though? Obviously it knows I'm pressing those keys.
Did you even listen to the poster above and run the Apple Hardware Test?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Did you even listen to the poster above and run the Apple Hardware Test?

Ya man, can you Option-Boot? Hold down Option while booting. You should come to a screen with two drive icons, one says Macintosh HD and the other Recovery something, if you can move the cursor on this screen, you should be able to download a fresh copy of OS from the internet and re-install from scratch.

p.s. take care of your data first. Nobody here is responsible for your data.

KrazyKuul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
Thanks for all the suggestions. Now i understand why smc reset was able to work when the keyboard wasnt recognized. no, i cant preform any of the boot combinations, not even option-boot. The usb part of my logic board must be fried. ill recover my data and probably part out the laptop since im not paying over 200 dollars just for a new logic board.

Thanks again for all the help

KrazyKuul

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2008
One last thing, how hard would this be to repair. could it possibly be just soldering on some new resistors or something? I have no clue where the usb stuff is controlled, but if i did, would it be worth a try? It seems like theres numerous big things that i could replace myself on the circuit board. Any help is appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.