Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Waiting for a delivery truck to drop off a package is painful. Especially since I'm in a basement suite that is currently having an emergency reroofing so a) there is loud banging all day (WAS THAT THE TRUCK DOOR?!) and b) my door is completely blocked by a mountain of torn off shingles. I'll need to crawl out a freakin' WINDOW to meet the courier.

And I just know if I go to the bathroom dude will show up (oddly enough it happened to my dad just yesterday).

Yeah I know... First-world problems etc.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
And I just know if I go to the bathroom dude will show up (oddly enough it happened to my dad just yesterday).

This is my problem, EVERY TIME.

FlightAware has made tracking a little less annoying, because now I can estimate when things should start moving again when they're stuck for a day somewhere. But then, once it's Out for Delivery, it's the whole waiting game again. Sometimes our UPS guy shows up at 10AM, sometimes its 3PM.

I don't mind going to go pick up packages myself, but the nearest FedEx/UPS pick-up place is like 30 minutes away, and I don't drive. So waiting it out is my only choice, if only we had bladders like dogs. :D

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
^

And it did happen! Luckily one of the roofers signed for it and left it at my door. Better than Canada Post, they just slap a sticker on the door saying "come pick it up at the depot tomorrow!" and don't even bother knocking!

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Off-topic question: Have you considered asking your landlord or management company to give you a temporary apartment or a hotel room? I'm sure they'll do that. Or at least do whatever they can to make you more comfortable in your basement suite while they do the re-roofing.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I've definitely been in this situation. Yah, it sucks. If you have the cash and there is a UPS store nearby, you might consider getting a box with them. They accept your packages and email you when they arrive.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Hehe you could also leave a note saying that you're currently using the toilet so please wait an extra minute. leave a nice cold drink with the note. they might wait :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Or just get it delivered to work? Having said that i was away when my iPhone 5 was delivered, so I kept texting my wife with is it there yet? My iMac turned up 2 days early but fortunately my wife was at home. The rest of the day really dragged though!

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Or just get it delivered to work? Having said that i was away when my iPhone 5 was delivered, so I kept texting my wife with is it there yet? My iMac turned up 2 days early but fortunately my wife was at home. The rest of the day really dragged though!

Delivery can also be a problem at work if your organization is very large. I've had a $12k computer delivered to some loading dock, never to be seen again. (This was in the days before the web and easy package tracking.) With widely available GPS, it should be possible for shipping companies to let you know when the delivery truck is within a certain distance from your home.

Last month, a FedEx truck with my new iMac left my house just as my wife drove up. The driver didn't stop even though he saw her. Fortunately, the truck returned later that day.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
The TNT service here, they leave a note in your door with a mobile telephone number, which puts you in touch with the driver. If called before six in the evening the package will be delivered that same day. Otherwise delivery will be the next day, you can of course have a designated proxy sign/take delivery for you.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A lot of my delivered stuff comes from Amazon which notifies me what day to expect the delivery (via cell phone text) and luckily most of it is left on my door step. What makes it inconvenient is when you really want it bad and you have to sign for it, like my iPhone. :) Once I knew I was not going to be home and trying to talk UPS into delaying delivery was like pulling nails with your teeth. My impression is that to make this kind of coordination easy, they expect you to join their subscribed service. FedEx is better in this regard. :(

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Out for delivery since 7:42am ........... but you won't be the first. Unless you're not home. Then it will sit out there all day.

Guaranteed Delivery by 430pm ........ it's now 512pm.

It won't show up while you're looking for it ....... but it will 90sec after you leave the window and say "screw it". (It couldn't show up while watching? WTH)

It's enough to make a preacher cuss.

Edit: it's uncanny but sometimes you can make Murphy's law work for you.

Waiting for a phone call and the damn phone won't ring? Get some greasy potato chips and some napkins and start munching. Phone will ring quick. Grab your handy napkins and answer. :D

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
I hate when you track the package and see it went out for delivery at 6:30am then are sitting there waiting until 5:30pm for delivery. I hate being one of the last routes for UPS. Guess I have to look on the bright side, its not sitting outside my door for too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.