Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snow755

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Today, there are several reports that the 5th generation iPad will be released in March. It is said to have a slightly sharper display and will weigh less. The design is rumored to be similar to that of the iPad mini.

Los Angeles industry analyst Paul Mueller, who frequently contributes to this column, says that like the iPad mini, the iPad 5 will have stereo speakers. "The speakers will be very strong and the sound will not be tinny," Mueller tells us. He believes the device will be available sometime during the third week of March and will be priced the same as the current iPad 4.

The current iPad has a mono speaker, but the sound is excellent and you can even hear the bass. The thought of stereo speakers on the new iPad makes us wish it was March already. Are you excited about the new iPad? Tell us in the Comments section.

from here

http://www.examiner.com/article/ipad-5-to-possibly-have-stereo-speakers

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
yes it will be in marh evere thing that i has seen and read said that the ipad 5 will or could be comeing in marh

You are very gullible. Just because you read a rumor or someones speculation in no way means that it is coming in March. To state that it is coming in march as fact like you are doing is ludicrous.

adambadamh

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
Obviously better speakers are good, but here is my beef with stereo speaks and why to me their inclusion is a moot point: With the current design of the iPad, who cares. A stereo effect would barely be audible should they put two speakers at the bottom of the iPad in portrait mode, and as soon as you flip it 90 degrees to watch a movie, the speakers are back to being on one side of the device. Now of course, they could add a speaker to the top so that you can watch movies with stereo, but I feel there are many different improvements the iPad team could focus on first.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
yes it will be in marh evere thing that i has seen and read said that the ipad 5 will or could be comeing in marh
I also read about the secret alien moon base, shall we plan a trip?

No, you have read rumors and speculation by pundits that have to say something to get paid. We ave seen no parts, no big leaks like we would before a release so close.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
If Apple can upgrade in March in ANY way, it will be good. If they have another processor: excellent. If it has stereo speakers: excellent. Anything will be welcome.

I'm waiting for December '13 to buy. Hopefully they have 2 upgrades in that time, but I doubt it.

Apple can only maintain a lead in the pad market by keeping their pads quickly upgrading. Once-per-year is too lame an upgrade schedule at this time, due to technical innovations going faster and faster. Once the iPads hit their tech limit (in a couple years, I'd say), they can slow down the release cycle. Then it is more about the software improvements.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Both stereo speakers and March release are reasonable.

As you know I don't see things this way. :) What I see is nothing but a lot of emptiness which just makes me wonder:

Where are the part leaks? Where are the pictures of this new chassis? In the month leading up to previous announcements, it's all about what date the announcement will be, and we've not seen any pictures or other credible leak information about this new iPad (or mini), and we're just a couple weeks away from being one month out (assuming they follow the same they've done for the past 2 years and announce the first week in March, which is your logic - following what they've done before, announcing in March).

Shouldn't there be lots of information out there which would lead us in a couple of weeks to start speculating about the actual date of the announcement in March of this new product? Shouldn't there be more information about the details of the product? It's awfully quiet out there, which logic leads me to think there isn't anything coming, at least at the beginning of March, as they've done in the past and that information is what some on here keep touting as *the reason* to expect another March release this year. I just don't see it.

Last edited:

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
"The speakers will be very strong and the sound will not be tinny," Mueller tells us

I don't think this guy has ever heard an (big) iPad at full tilt. I reckon it sounds far better than my 15" MBP speakers, which are pretty horrible having previously used a 17" MBP (which sounded great).

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania
You are very gullible. Just because you read a rumor or someones speculation in no way means that it is coming in March. To state that it is coming in march as fact like you are doing is ludicrous.

Yes, just a rumor. Apple will never make a mini iPad, it would never sell.....oops sorry wrong thread.....

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Agreed. Since Apple hasn't announced anything, any news concerning a March update is pure speculation.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Apple starting to scrape the barren when the only innovation is stereo speakers lol.

Meanwhile Samsung innovating bendable screens:rolleyes:

Seems like Apple are being stale... the stock prices reflect the coming storm

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Personally I think it is changes to iOS that will give Apple the best chance of maintaining tablet market share. There isn't a single device on the market whose physical hardware is overall better than the current iPad 4, in my opinion. I want them to focus on iOS 7 and really radically overhaul iOS.

Misc Energy

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Better speakers would be nice, although it is not needed. I find the current iPad to be really great and has everything I need. Who knows, maybe I might upgrade when I see the specs of the next one.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
The iPad 3 suits me just fine. However, if you are in the market for a tablet, for $100 less than the iPad you can get a superior display, GPS, front-facing stereo speakers, about the same amount of battery life, less weight, and more RAM with the Nexus 10.

Will the iPad 5 be able to match or exceed the Nexus 10 experience? I doubt it. Of course, it will be better build quality overall, we have the tired old appstore argument we could go through as well, but in the end, if you are watching a movie (is that what the OP wants the speakers for?), you don't need 500,000 apps. I'd say the Nexus 10 is probably going to be better. I doubt Apple will ever put front facing speakers on the thing.

Of course, the retina on iPad 3 is already so beautiful that I doubt 1,000 more ppi will make much of a difference to me. Apple has to innovate somewhere else. The comment above about iOS7 was spot-on. 6 was a huge improvement, and if 7 can keep up with these, I'd guess that will give the iPad a leg up. I like Jelly Bean well enough, but I suspect the next update won't be as substantial as iOS7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.