Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I keep getting the "You Shut down your computer because of a problem" dialogue box every time I enter my username/password to log in.

I chose NOT to run the programs that were previously running.

What did happen was gfxcardstatus.app caused a sudden shutdown when I tried to take pages into fullscreen after forcing the MBP into integrated-only mode. (where it only uses the integrated GPU)

So, the mac shut itself down. I didn't lose any data, and everything is working fine. It just annoyingly keeps displaying this dialogue box now...
THISTHIS.jpg

I'm running OS X Mountain Lion on a 2011 MBP.

This really shouldn't be popping up every single time I restart my machine, should it? (the sudden shutdown only happened once, but now this keeps coming up every time I turn on my MBP)

Could someone help me fix this annoyance? I would appreciate it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
I got this message twice, when I got a blackout, and when I had to restart the computer because ML stopped working. Try to search for "gfxcardstatus" in your Console app to see if anything related there.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I received that message on my MBP the other day, about a week after I upgraded to 10.8.

I recall running the MAINTIDGET widget as Administrator, which cleans our all the system logs/etc. You can get the widget here:

http://www.giantmike.com/widgets/Maintidget.html

If you only leave your Mac on periodically during the day, the auto-scripts that suppose to kick off overnight never get to run; thus allowing junk to build up in your mac.

I ran "Verify Disk Permissions" in Disk Utility. It found some problems, which were then corrected using "Repair Disk Permissions".

I also recall needing to update the ClamXav anti-virus program. It doesn't update itself, and it was at a pre-10.8 compatible version.

After those two tasks, my Mac no longer exhibited the error message upon boot.

Check your Mac to be sure that all programs are up to date (Mountain Lion 10.8 compatible), yoru Disk Permissions have been checked/fixed and that your system scripts have run so that all the excess junk files/cache has been cleaned out.

Hope this may be of some help!

Odinrumor

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2012
Admin login

I had the same issue on two macs, one very new, for several weeks. Then I learned that when you log in as an administrator the issue is there only one last time. So a log in as an admin produces the screen mentioned above: you shut down you comp because of a problem, I typed yes allow, then the issue is gone for good. odinrumor.

Reactions: uziclip

Seahorse

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2006
London, UK
... I learned that when you log in as an administrator the issue is there only one last time. So a log in as an admin produces the screen mentioned above: you shut down you comp because of a problem, I typed yes allow, then the issue is gone for good.
And this worked for me too. Thanks.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2008
I had the same issue on two macs, one very new, for several weeks. Then I learned that when you log in as an administrator the issue is there only one last time. So a log in as an admin produces the screen mentioned above: you shut down you comp because of a problem, I typed yes allow, then the issue is gone for good. odinrumor.

I'm having the same problem. However, the problem is occurring in a admin account.

The dialog you mention appears, but before you can click the "yes", the machine restarts the Finder. Loop.

Gotha

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
This solved the issue

This solved the issue for me:

[/COLOR]

Many thanks, Odinrumour. You made my day.

Reactions: iMatt.

uziclip

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2016
Admin login

Totally cleared it for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.