Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G-Force

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2006
This is a really cool mod, nice work!

But does the brightness control still work with this display?

brycemason

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
Brightness control functions fine. I think that's controlled by the inverter, which didn't change.

I doubt Geekbench would tell much of a story, because it looks at memory and processor performance, neither of which would be affected by the mods I did.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
I doubt Geekbench would tell much of a story, because it looks at memory and processor performance, neither of which would be affected by the mods I did.

Ohhh yeah you are right. But nice machine anyway. I like the hidden capacities of this one. People seeing you at the Starbucks with your computer would never assume all the mods you did on this 'old computer'. :)

hinkamp

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2011
Based on your software, I'm guessing you do economics?

I assume you are using Texshop for your latex. Does Stata 11 run well on the pbook? I'm currently cranking with Stata 10 on a 12 inch pbook.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
You might want to change the screen resolution from something other than its native resolution for playing games, etc. because they might run faster in 1024x768 given its somewhat weak graphics processing unit.

brycemason

macrumors member
Original poster
May 18, 2011
STATA 11.2 SE runs just fine on the notebook (and the MP license works fine for an SE installation, as I verified with STATA Corp). Honestly I'm not fitting insane models with matrix sizes of 5000 or else I would appreciate a faster machine, but scripting, data management, graphics creation, and simple regressions and analyses are totally acceptable using this hardware and 500MB of RAM dedicated to it. I can do tons of stuff. I am so happy that STATA Corp continues to support the PPC. As long as the machine works, I will do all of my mobile analysis with this platform. Oh, and let me say, having the 1400x1050 resolution is so helpful for that program! I trained as an economist/policy wonk at a place that uses STATA heavily, but now do university administration.

Yes, I use TeXShop, which seems to work fine for what I need it to do.

Psychomacuser

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
STATA 11.2 SE runs just fine on the notebook (and the MP license works fine for an SE installation, as I verified with STATA Corp). Honestly I'm not fitting insane models with matrix sizes of 5000 or else I would appreciate a faster machine, but scripting, data management, graphics creation, and simple regressions and analyses are totally acceptable using this hardware and 500MB of RAM dedicated to it. I can do tons of stuff. I am so happy that STATA Corp continues to support the PPC. As long as the machine works, I will do all of my mobile analysis with this platform. Oh, and let me say, having the 1400x1050 resolution is so helpful for that program! I trained as an economist/policy wonk at a place that uses STATA heavily, but now do university administration.

Yes, I use TeXShop, which seems to work fine for what I need it to do.

You mean SATA II? I am confused.. what is STATA?

scmacdaddy

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2002
LA
this is really cool. i gave my 12" powerbook to my dad but he never uses it. i'm going to get it back and think about an SSD upgrade. i don't think the display would be worth it to me.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
You might want to change the screen resolution from something other than its native resolution for playing games, etc. because they might run faster in 1024x768 given its somewhat weak graphics processing unit.

This is especially true for some older games (the same age as this laptop), that are usually built to run at 800x600 or 1024x768, but aren't built for anything higher.

Examples from the Windows world: Stronghold 1, Rollercoaster Tycoon
Examples from the Mac world: SimCity 3000, The Sims etc.

playmobil

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2012
HI, how is the G4 12 batery doing?

Does it still give you the 5 hours ?

Can you tell me where you bought the battery? I'm looking for a new one for my powerpc 12 G4, but I only find some Chinese batteries from ebay.

Thank you

powerpcguy

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
I bought a 12" PB to write a dissertation too... in 2011! Then someone just gave me a 17" PB that I still use as well.

I bought the 12" absolutely mint off eBay for ~200$, and am really glad I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.