Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
The reason for asking is I was wondering if in India people see just 3G or H+ (4G) on their iPhone 5 for Airtel or Vodaphone.
I know that the LTE scene is a given NO and hence I am not even thinking about it.
What's the typical speed you get?

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
Am back home for the vacations,and on my iPhone 5-Airtel,it shows 3G,but the speeds are really good.

I don't really miss 4G speeds though I only do casual browsing sometimes on phone or use data for fb messenger or whatsapp,no movie streaming or stuff on phone.

masti13harsh

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
A1429 here
Black/Slate iPhone 5(16gb) getting speed on vodafone 3g(delhi) :-

max - 8Mbps
average - 2Mbps

Hope this helps :)

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
A1429 here
Black/Slate iPhone 5(16gb) getting speed on vodafone 3g(delhi) :-

max - 8Mbps
average - 2Mbps

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the info. So an A1428 which is pretty much the same in specs except the LTE bands probably will at least show and give 3G speeds then I am guessing on Airtel or Vodaphone.
Apple website says A1428 and A1429 are similar in their UTMS and GSM antennas, just LTE is different.
I just hope I don't go from LTE to E. that will be quite a downfall ;)

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Help! I'm visiting India next week from the US. I'm bringing my unlocked iPhone 5. I have access to a nano-SIM prepaid with Rs250 from Airtel.

1) Is it as simple as putting in the new Airtel nano-SIM and all works well? Or do I need to change some sort of settings in the iPhone or go through iTunes again?

2) I have visited the Airtel website, but I cannot figure out how to pick a specific prepaid plan. The page doesn't explain how many SMS/minutes/data is included, or how to select the plan I want. Can someone explain how I do this?

Thanks!

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
In India, the minute based plans are certainly not normal.
You buy a currency reload and load your card. The plan talks about per minute billing based on where you call. Your balance just keeps reducing accordingly.

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
In India, the minute based plans are certainly not normal.
You buy a currency reload and load your card. The plan talks about per minute billing based on where you call. Your balance just keeps reducing accordingly.

is it the same way for data too ??

masti13harsh

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
Yaa its the same for data too. In prepaid first you have to choose and pay for what you want then you get it there and then. The data plans are like this:
Rs 100 gives 300MB of 3g data
Rs 250 gives 1GB of 3g data
and so on...

If you want 2g data then go for Rs 95 and you get 1GB of data over edge.

Rs 100 = $2 approx

isaket

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
Help! I'm visiting India next week from the US. I'm bringing my unlocked iPhone 5. I have access to a nano-SIM prepaid with Rs250 from Airtel.

1) Is it as simple as putting in the new Airtel nano-SIM and all works well? Or do I need to change some sort of settings in the iPhone or go through iTunes again?

2) I have visited the Airtel website, but I cannot figure out how to pick a specific prepaid plan. The page doesn't explain how many SMS/minutes/data is included, or how to select the plan I want. Can someone explain how I do this?

Thanks!
already replied in another thread

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
The American consumer thinks having paid $199 to AT&T or VW they have purchased the iPhone 5. The monthly premium includes the balance and more. No wonder people find data very expensive. T-mobile's value plans are similar the rest of the world, where one buys a phone and looks for a carrier. Here everyone runs on their own frequencies and the phone is a data brick if you want to change wireless companies. Eg., AT&T to Verizon.

We pay 45 odd dollars for all you can eat 3G/1000 minutes and 5000 texts in UK. You guys are getting ripped off.

----------

I have a working full Airtel SIM from my last visit. Can I cut it up to nano size and use in an iPhone?

Yaa its the same for data too. In prepaid first you have to choose and pay for what you want then you get it there and then. The data plans are like this:
Rs 100 gives 300MB of 3g data
Rs 250 gives 1GB of 3g data
and so on...

If you want 2g data then go for Rs 95 and you get 1GB of data over edge.

Rs 100 = $2 approx

masti13harsh

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2012
For everyone complaining about the cheap data plan here in India I admit its damn cheap.. But I got my iPhone 5 16 gb for $830 unlocked and every electronic item is around 30-40% costlier because of import duties and all..
I don't think that the airtel sim you have will work as there is a rule that if there is no activity on your sim for greater than 60 days your sim will not work i.e. disconnected. I would recommend to buy a new sim as it is available easily and that too free in most of the cases but documents such as name proof or all are required. Generally the sim gets activated within one day and I would advice you to buy prepaid sim (pay before and than use) as there is no billing issue in this case...

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
I have had this SIM for 2 years now. I use it once a year or so when I am in India. Every month I switch it on to keep the line connected. It is only if one keeps it switched off the number gets disconnected.

For everyone complaining about the cheap data plan here in India I admit its damn cheap.. But I got my iPhone 5 16 gb for $830 unlocked and every electronic item is around 30-40% costlier because of import duties and all..
I don't think that the airtel sim you have will work as there is a rule that if there is no activity on your sim for greater than 60 days your sim will not work i.e. disconnected. I would recommend to buy a new sim as it is available easily and that too free in most of the cases but documents such as name proof or all are required. Generally the sim gets activated within one day and I would advice you to buy prepaid sim (pay before and than use) as there is no billing issue in this case...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.