Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
Well, here is my setup.

Samsung 27" monitor, cheap pair of logitech speakers (thats the next thing i'd like to upgrade), and a wireless keyboard and trackpad. Under the desk is my mini - per my signature - and a 1TB WD time machine backup.

The desk I made myself out of K'NEX and the glass tabletop is from IKEA. I like it because I can modify the desk however I like to fit my current/future setups. I used to run my old 2007 Macbook in clamshell mode until I finally upgraded to the mini so I moved the shelf down a "block", set up the external drive next to the mini and so far it has worked great. Another bonus is that the mini gets plenty of airflow so it runs relatively cool.

Attachments

• 0112131135.jpg
    0112131135.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 369
  • 0112131136.jpg
    0112131136.jpg
    633.9 KB · Views: 359
  • 0112131138.jpg
    0112131138.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 311

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
Well, here is my setup.

Samsung 27" monitor, cheap pair of logitech speakers (thats the next thing i'd like to upgrade), and a wireless keyboard and trackpad. Under the desk is my mini - per my signature - and a 1TB WD time machine backup.

The desk I made myself out of K'NEX and the glass tabletop is from IKEA. I like it because I can modify the desk however I like to fit my current/future setups. I used to run my old 2007 Macbook in clamshell mode until I finally upgraded to the mini so I moved the shelf down a "block", set up the external drive next to the mini and so far it has worked great. Another bonus is that the mini gets plenty of airflow so it runs relatively cool.

That might be the most creative desk I've seen. Very cool.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Well, here is my setup.

This has to be the most awesome thing evar!
How is the structural integrity? Is it at all wobbly? How long did it take, and the cost?
Thanks<3

COrocket

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2012
This has to be the most awesome thing evar!
How is the structural integrity? Is it at all wobbly? How long did it take, and the cost?
Thanks<3

The structural integrity is great. I added a picture showing the lower shelf. It is designed so I can have legroom and push my chair in when not in use. I can store stuff on it and it connects all four legs. The second picture is obviously an exaggeration, I haven't really tested the weight bearing capacity until now. You can see a little bit of flex but I'm pretty pleased. If you bump in to it, there is a tiny bit of wiggle, but it is solid when you are working on it. When I was planning it I thought it might need a truss pattern across the back but it does fine as pictured.

One of the things that I think helps with stability is how heavy the tabletop is. The glass is 3/8" thick which allows it to be supported only at the four corners and weighs 61 lbs (I believe it when I pick it up) according to IKEA.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70221461/
This isn't the exact product because their styles change every year but its nearly the same. Something neat is that the glass top probably weighs 4-5 times what the structure weighs.

The table itself takes maybe 2-3 hours to assemble/disassemble. However, the design was a continuous process and I was tweaking the design gradually over the past year. When it first was built, it had 3200 parts and would cost around $525 for the parts. Now that I've had some time to refine the design, I'd estimate around 2700 pieces and probably in the mid $400's. Thats if you bought the pieces off the K'NEX website, they are a lot cheaper if the pieces are from kits/ebay etc. I had enough parts laying around from a project I did with the company.

Attachments

• 0112131516.jpg
    0112131516.jpg
    580 KB · Views: 228
  • 0112131522.jpg
    0112131522.jpg
    552 KB · Views: 227

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Going back to college, so I'm considering making a few changes to this set up. Here's what I have right now.

Everything is contained in a TV stand with a large, slow-running fan in the back to cool everything. My mini is on World Community Grid running full throttle all the time, provided the UPS hasn't had to kick on (yes, that's 188 events. That thing has earned it's keep many many times) so it needs that thing to keep it cool, and it's very quiet.

In a pinch, if I need a desktop, I fire up splashtop on my ipad2 and just move the bluetooth keyboard and touchpad over to the desk my 24" imac used to occupy. This works very well. The lag is so minimal it's incredible, and mission control makes this pretty practical.

Attachments

• IMG_0832.JPG
    IMG_0832.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0838.jpg
    IMG_0838.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0841.JPG
    IMG_0841.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 364
Last edited:

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
The structural integrity is great. I added a picture showing the lower shelf. It is designed so I can have legroom and push my chair in when not in use. I can store stuff on it and it connects all four legs. The second picture is obviously an exaggeration, I haven't really tested the weight bearing capacity until now. You can see a little bit of flex but I'm pretty pleased. If you bump in to it, there is a tiny bit of wiggle, but it is solid when you are working on it. When I was planning it I thought it might need a truss pattern across the back but it does fine as pictured.

One of the things that I think helps with stability is how heavy the tabletop is. The glass is 3/8" thick which allows it to be supported only at the four corners and weighs 61 lbs (I believe it when I pick it up) according to IKEA.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70221461/
This isn't the exact product because their styles change every year but its nearly the same. Something neat is that the glass top probably weighs 4-5 times what the structure weighs.

The table itself takes maybe 2-3 hours to assemble/disassemble. However, the design was a continuous process and I was tweaking the design gradually over the past year. When it first was built, it had 3200 parts and would cost around $525 for the parts. Now that I've had some time to refine the design, I'd estimate around 2700 pieces and probably in the mid $400's. Thats if you bought the pieces off the K'NEX website, they are a lot cheaper if the pieces are from kits/ebay etc. I had enough parts laying around from a project I did with the company.

Woah, awesome! Thanks for all the info man! ;)

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
My Mac Mini 2010 hooked up to a Samsung LED 46". Those are B&W speakers, and you can see I have a Big Jambox for casual audio output (battery life of this thing is incredible). For loud movies and rock/jazz listening, I fire up the speakers which are powered by a Denon amplifier (not pictured but yo can see the cable running underneath the carpeting on the right).

n2y6n7.jpg

Last edited:

tufinhas

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2008
Here's my setup .. added my Dreamcast later and might do the same with my PS3 soon

Attachments

• 12791_462617637121881_1318918760_n.jpg
    12791_462617637121881_1318918760_n.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 257

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX

Good stuff, and very creative. My desk is from Ikea as well, total cost for tabletop and 4 legs: $34 :)

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
394959_10200440890931031_1776270892_n.jpg

Ahhh, finally up and running... I have an older cinema screen so I had to order a duel adapter to get the display to look right. Would love to figure out the mass of cords behind it all!

jovceata

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Setup 2012

love the ACD 27" but way too much money so 27" Samsung 3D screen was my second choice.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 340
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
My setup.. I know you can't see the Mini, but it's there believe me ;)

Your mini is driving two 27" Apple displays? Wow. That's incredible. In the past you needed a Mac Pro for that.

How smooth are the transitions? That's alot of pixels to be pushing. Don't get me wrong, I think your set up is very cool :D

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
Late 2012 2.6 GHz quad-core mini with 1TB Fusion drive and 16 GB Kingston ram. Coupled with some cheap Coby speakers & subwoofer that I had laying around, a Proview 22" monitor that I got for free from a friend (since I only had laptops before this. My 47" Vizio LED 1080p tv acts as my additional monitor and works great for using my mini from the couch (built the TV entertainment center myself to house some of my DVDs/BR Disk, XBox 360, Apple TV3, and BR Player). My old Canon MP470 printer/scanner is connected and able to print to it from my iPad/iphone using Fingerprint. I my Seagate 3TB USB 3 external HDD that has all my iTunes content on it and an older SmartDisk 450 GB external HDD that I use to keep my pictures and home movies on. Looking at getting another Seagate ext HDD, probably 4TB to use as a back up for the 3TB hdd and as Time Machine. The two small desk I had laying around the house from a long time ago so figured I would put them together as one to sit everything on. Haven't used them as desk in ages since we had laptops before and they were usually with us in the living room on our laps or end tables. Keyboard and Magic Trackpad are held together using the Meshwe Blufin. Works well enough and I can still use the click function on the trackpad if I want. I use the mouse mostly for that stuff and the MT for gestures.

I need to sort out some cord management next. As for the purple color on the wall, the original owner of our house was an ESU fan, just never got around to repainting the wall (I know someone was going to ask about that).

IMG_0646_zps0374083f.jpg

IMG_0647_zps315bf8a7.jpg

IMG_0648_zpsbb7188e2.jpg

Last edited:

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Your mini is driving two 27" Apple displays? Wow. That's incredible. In the past you needed a Mac Pro for that.

How smooth are the transitions? That's alot of pixels to be pushing. Don't get me wrong, I think your set up is very cool :D

The discrete AMD GPU of 2011 Mini has no trouble driving two 27" displays. I don't do anything terribly GPU intensive (like gaming), it's fine for normal computing tasks.

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
heres mine

mipbgx.jpg

Seldom use the acer monitor, hence chucked away at the back. Speakers only used when watching movies, hence chucked away too

50voltphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2011
heres mine

Seldom use the acer monitor, hence chucked away at the back. Speakers only used when watching movies, hence chucked away too

Is that the 27" AOC monitor from Best Buy? I went to the store specifically to look at it, and guess which one they didn't have hooked up? Yup. Anyway, how is it?

saha-med

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2012
Is that the 27" AOC monitor from Best Buy? I went to the store specifically to look at it, and guess which one they didn't have hooked up? Yup. Anyway, how is it?

AOC yes. But its the 23inch, E2357fh...

I basically wanted a cheap glossy monitor, was juggling between the dell s2340l and this. Decided to go with this as it had dual hdmi and speakers (although its TN panel)

Sadly I am not a monitor junkie, so i cant advise you on how is its color, luminance and stuff like that.
If you are interested in getting the 27inch (which is very popular), you might take a look at korean 27inch ips displays (support higher resolution) on amazon

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
office-macmini.jpg

I posted this better pic of my set up on my blog today, I decided to buy the file cabinet for storage and to make my desk more manageable. Funny how one purchase turns into several! There are more pics of my entire office which is very girly and groovy. Click the signature link if your interested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.