Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I've had my current Oakley frame for almost 6 years. Still looks new, so I picked out another Oakley frame.

When I'm picking lenses for it, I have two options

1. $233.95 Hi-index 1.67, Transitions, Crizal coating

or

2. $350 Oakley plutonite, transitions, Oakley AR coating

I got option #1 last time and they have held up perfectly.

Do I spend the extra $120 on Oakley lenses? Anyone have experience with them? Is Plutonite that much better?

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I've had my current Oakley frame for almost 6 years. Still looks new, so I picked out another Oakley frame.

When I'm picking lenses for it, I have two options

1. $233.95 Hi-index 1.67, Transitions, Crizal coating

or

2. $350 Oakley plutonite, transitions, Oakley AR coating

I got option #1 last time and they have held up perfectly.

Do I spend the extra $120 on Oakley lenses? Anyone have experience with them? Is Plutonite that much better?

I would stick with option #1 and save the $120. Nobody is going to notice or care about whether your lenses are plutonite or regulars.

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
I would stick with option #1 and save the $120. Nobody is going to notice or care about whether your lenses are plutonite or regulars.

Go with option 1. You didn't have issues with them the first time around, might as well save yourself $120 that you can put towards a new Apple product :D

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Go with option 1. You didn't have issues with them the first time around, might as well save yourself $120 that you can put towards a new Apple product :D

Lol, I was going to say this exact same thing. I asked them the difference and they really couldn't tell me. I got some generic BS.

I also found out the place where I'm ordering is running a promotion on lenses (non Oakley) so after that, they're over $180 less. Plus the regular lenses are still Zeiss

fiddlestyx

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Minnesota
Lol, I was going to say this exact same thing. I asked them the difference and they really couldn't tell me. I got some generic BS.

I also found out the place where I'm ordering is running a promotion on lenses (non Oakley) so after that, they're over $180 less. Plus the regular lenses are still Zeiss

Sounds like a good decision to me! As nice as Oakley's are, sometimes you do have to pay a bit more, the lenses right there are a good example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.