Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emt8q5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
Hey folks,

just curious what people would recommend for a wireless laser printer for my home office. I'm looking at various offerings from Brother, Cannon and HP. I need good scanning ability, both lid scanning and feed tray scanning.

The prices on the Canon laser printers on Amazon are pretty low, but some of the review are saying they don't play well with OSX.

I don't want to spend more than $250 and cheaper is better.

What do you folks recommend?

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
I love my Brother MFC-9970CDW. Color, duplex, fast, excellent scan and fax abilities. Built-in WiFi and ethernet.

Only drawback is lack of AirPrint support.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Hey folks,

just curious what people would recommend for a wireless laser printer for my home office. I'm looking at various offerings from Brother, Cannon and HP. I need good scanning ability, both lid scanning and feed tray scanning.

The prices on the Canon laser printers on Amazon are pretty low, but some of the review are saying they don't play well with OSX.

I don't want to spend more than $250 and cheaper is better.

What do you folks recommend?

I haven't seen any MFP type printer/scanners that do full duplex sheet scanning. If you are going to be using this in a "paperless office" type of setup... that is pretty much a disqualifier. It's OK for few pages now and then... but if you are trying to eliminate paper... you need a full duplex sheet scanner... otherwise, you will eventually quit out of frustration. My recommendation is the new Fujitsu ScanSnap. I have the S1500M... but it was just replaced this week at CES with a new model... ScanSnap iX500.

Also... I have seen a lot of intermittent behavior using wireless printing. I am constantly getting calls by friends and neighbors who's printers have stopped working, and asking if I can help them set it up again. I personally prefer having a true network printer that is directly attached to the home network via ethernet. We can still print from all of our computers in the house wirelessly... and it is more stable. I personally do not have mine set up for iOS printing (I have not yet found the need)... but there are applications to allow it.

/Jim

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Canon MG 5220

I use Canon MG 5220 wifi, for me its all I need. Inkjet cartridges are $$$$

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
I have another vote for Brother. Very stable/reliable. The networking capabilities are stable too.

I always recommend against wireless printers as most of the time my customers find them to be more trouble than they are worth. Most people can plug the printer into the router via Ethernet, which gives them greater reliability while still allowing them to move about the building and print from their devices.

emt8q5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
pardon my ignorance but what is full duplex scanning?

Also, is it a given that a wireless printer will offer wireless scanning as well?

Thank you!

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I have a Brother DCP7065DN and it's a terrific printer scanner, plus on OSX all the drivers (except firmware updater) are built in. Added bonus these things are often on sale for just over $100.

edit: duplex scanning is both sides automatically. And yes everything works wirelessly too. Personally I've got mine connected to the router via Ethernet cable.

edit2: you can print and scan on iOS devices using the Brother app.

Last edited:

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
pardon my ignorance but what is full duplex scanning?

Also, is it a given that a wireless printer will offer wireless scanning as well?

Thank you!

Full Duplex scanning is the capability to scan both sides at the same time. I would estimate that 95% (or more) of "paperless office" scanning is of double sided documents in my experience. Without duplex scanning... you need to scan everything twice... then use some program to try and put it all together into a single document. Some scanners offer half-duplex to full-duplex assist... where you scan once... then turn the stack over and scan again... and (if everthing works perfect)... it inserts the new stack in the right places. Even that is a total pain in butt.

I was recently reading a book on "paperless office"... and the author made the comment about a full duplex document scanner being necessary... and anything else would cause the user to eventually quit trying to be paperless out of frustration. That comment resonated with me... as my previous attempts at scanning prior to using my existing ScanSnap always had me give up and abandon trying to be paperless.

For printing... I bought a very nice "business class" color laser printer from Xerox. It also has a MFD document scanner. Once I bought the ScanSnap... I pretty much never used the Xerox scanner function again.

/Jim

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
The MFC 9970CDW does duplex scanning pretty quickly, but I rarely use it for that. I have an Epson that I use because it's a little quicker.

I haven't had any issues with WiFi connectivity with it. Been connected to my WiFi since I purchased it and never had an issue at all with losing connectivity, trouble printing/recognizing the device, etc. Has worked flawlessly since I purchased it.

tangfj

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
Any particular reason why you need laser? I have a HP 8600 plus inkjet all in one and feel like it's every bit as fast as my old brother laser printer. The ink may be more expensive than laser toner cartridges but I couldn't be happier with my printer. It's fast, the ink lasts reasonably long (2300 pages black, 1500 pages color), and the scanning is great. I tested almost every printer at the best buy near me to try scanning multiple pages and I felt the HP did the best/fastest job.

Sorry I don't have a laser rec for you but thought I'd share my experience.

emt8q5

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2007
I'm sure this sounds unreasonable, but for whatever reason I just don't like injet printers. I think they're a scam for the most part (I only print black and white) and I've been disappointed with every one I've ever owned.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Like others, I've also had good luck with Brother. I have a Brother DCP-7065dn right now, which does about everything you might want except it can only scan single-sided. I see it's $170 on Amazon now, which is a bit more than I paid for it about a year and a half ago, but it's still reasonably priced, as is OEM toner (a bit less than $50 for the high-capacity/2600-page cartridge).

Also like others, I also recommend against using the built-in wireless functionality of most printers, which I've generally heard to be unreliable. I think many people are unaware that you can get an effectively wireless printer with any networkable printer if you just plug it into your presumably already-existing wired portion of your also-wireless network. (If you're using a wireless router that doesn't have extra wired ports so you can't do this, consider adding a network switch to your setup.) With the right router (e.g., AirPort Extreme Base Station) or a print server (a computer you have that's usually on?), you can even do the same with just a USB printer.

If you need duplex scanning from the document feeder, you might want to go with others' suggestions (the 9970CDW sounds like it can duplex scan, but I've rarely seen this feature outside of large office copy machine-type equipment, so I don't know). But if you can live with single sided scanning and want a small, affordable printer with apparently reasonable TCO*, I wouldn't hesitate to look at the Brother DCP-7065dn--or, really, any similar model.

PS - Thanks to the reviewer who pointed out that the Brother app allows printing to this from iOS. I did not know that, nor will I probably ever want to use it--but I'll have to check it out in any case. EDIT: Actually, Brother's site seems to indicate that this isn't the case: http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...eg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=dcp7065dn_all&Cat=162 But there are third-part solutions, in any case.

PPS - I don't think your dislike of inkjets is unreasonable at all, especially if you're primarily printing text. If you print too infrequently, the inkjet may dry out and create problems; if you print too frequently (and even if you don't), the cost of ink is probably greater than that of toner. Laser also produces a generally higher-quality print, and it won't bleed or smear if it gets wet.

*The only part I can't estimate the cost or life of is the fuser. I've had two Brothers at home for a couple years and have never had to replace it, but we have a couple in small offices at work that go through a ton more printing than I do and we've had to do it on one. I don't know how much it cost, but it was a pain to replace and I'm not sure to what extent Brother officially supports this.

Last edited:

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I always recommend against wireless printers as most of the time my customers find them to be more trouble than they are worth. Most people can plug the printer into the router via Ethernet, which gives them greater reliability while still allowing them to move about the building and print from their devices.

I have a HP wireless inkjet that is pretty much useless on wireless. When the printer and computer go into sleep/power saver modes, they don't like to reconnect. Also, HP's scanner software for the Mac is not too good. Windows versions is better but still has issues.

My philosophy is that I don't move printers around so it's easy to run an LAN cable to it and I get a reliable connection. Almost all of my fixed locations in the house have LAN cables going to them.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I have a HP wireless inkjet that is pretty much useless on wireless. When the printer and computer go into sleep/power saver modes, they don't like to reconnect. Also, HP's scanner software for the Mac is not too good. Windows versions is better but still has issues.

My philosophy is that I don't move printers around so it's easy to run an LAN cable to it and I get a reliable connection. Almost all of my fixed locations in the house have LAN cables going to them.

Good advice about wired interface being better than wireless.

The printer companies are doing their customers an injustice. From their marketing material... they give the impression that if you want to print from a wireless device... then you need a wireless printer.

At the same time... they provide the worlds crappiest, difficult to use, unstable, wireless interfaces that frustrate their customers. Over time... this has to have a negative affect on customer satisfaction and customer retention.

It is a self-inflicted wound by the printer companies.

/Jim

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I just got a Canon MF8380Cdw as we already had a monochrome laser printer. I also saw a few complaints from Mac users about that one, but went ahead and got it.

The Mac drivers are fine (at least in Snow Leopard). The ones on the website are newer than the CD's. Doesn't have duplex scanning, but I don't scan that much. Scanning to computers works great. Scanning to email is just about useless as it doesn't support SSL and just about every service now requires it. Haven't tried the faxing.

Mine is on via wireless...static IP assignment from router. No problems so far. I do agree that, in general, ethernet would be more reliable.

Seems to print with no problem when waking from power saving mode.

Looks like the Canon monochrome printers fit your budget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.