Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
The reason it's only taller is to achieve the 16:9 ratio. If it was wider then they would also have to make it even taller, so that they could keep the 16:9 aspect ratio, instead of the old ratio of 2:3.

So why did they have to go 16:9? And don't tell me it's to watch movies. A 2" wide(tall) screen is pathetic to watch movies on.

YQLBen

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2013
I'm 16, my iPhone is great. I used to have an old Samsung slider which got the job done, but the iPhone really is useful, even in high school. In my class I would say its about a 3 way split between the iPhone/Android devices/non-smart phones. The iPhone is climbing in numbers though, slowly albeit.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Well I am in my 20s, married, college degree, and in my last years of pharmacy school now.

... snip ...

However to me an iPhone was tremendously helpful in college for:

Creating schedules, calendar events, exam days

Flash card study apps

Evernote: viewing power points since my hp at the time did not have a way to view them

Looking up translations/ sparknotes for English

Checking email for school, work, home etc

Mymathlab/ Kahn academy on the fly for calculus

There are many many more but to me an iPhone is like a Swiss Army knife for a college kid. Being able to view/edit/ create documents on the fly is invaluable to those of us with difficult majors.

Now I have learned to appreciate some of its other features like being my Apple TV remote, face timing so my daughter can see her grandma everyday, photo stream, imatch etc.

Now I'm not sure what I'd do without it and I highly doubt any other phone will work well in an already apple setup.

Like I said, college may be a reach for some because not every college is completely embracing the electronic advancements. (Yes as surprising as that seems). Anyways, 2 years ago I was in college and guess what? An iPhone came in handy. I had 5 courses of which 2 had professors that did everything class related online (except the actual lecture). Homework, projects, syllabus, notes, etc was posted online. The official communication was email to which they responded rather quickly and from an iDevice.

So I sympathize with you there.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Personally, I would hate to see a big (note sized) apple branded phone. Ill take the 4" with possibly a bit more width somewhere down the road. But if u think making a big screen will gain a huge % of the market, I think ur wrong. In fact, I think it would be a flop.

You may be right. I'm just going off of what most of my non techie android phone owning friends think. They always tell me tha they just love the bigger screens on the Android phones. They could care less about the customizations allowed with Android. For them, it's like comparing a 64" tv to a 42". Which one would you want? They have no clue as to which ecosystem is backed the most or what phone comes with the best support. It's simply the size of the screen.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
It's inevitable that when something becomes as popular as the iPhone there will eventually be a backlash. But in my anecdotal experience most people either already have iPhones or are planning to upgrade to one at some point. Only the techy/geek crowd seems to be splitting into Samsung vs. Apple camps. Regular people just don't care.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
So why did they have to go 16:9? And don't tell me it's to watch movies. A 2" wide(tall) screen is pathetic to watch movies on.

They didn't have to make it 16:9. But they wanted 16:9 so it had to be made taller first. And as they have said, the width is perfect for one handed use, but the taller screen allows for more content to be shown on the screen, including mail, web browsing, text, etc. Although, obviously this isn't the best aspect ratio for everyone. I personally think it's better than 3:2 though.

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
Like I said, college may be a reach for some because not every college is completely embracing the electronic advancements. (Yes as surprising as that seems). Anyways, 2 years ago I was in college and guess what? An iPhone came in handy. I had 5 courses of which 2 had professors that did everything class related online (except the actual lecture). Homework, projects, syllabus, notes, etc was posted online. The official communication was email to which they responded rather quickly and from an iDevice.

So I sympathize with you there.

Yea at Texas a&m they redid the lit department with iMacs but did not have notes online.
At a smaller school in Alabama they had notes, blackboard etc.
at grad school they have lectures and everything so its been increasingly more useful in my case.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.