Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I just recently put an ATV in my daughters room and it loads extremely slow. A 2 minute vid takes several minutes to load. A 25 minute show took 10 to 15 minutes to load. I'm not even sure if a movie would load at all. My ATV in the living room is connected directly to my router so my loading is only seconds. I have a Netgear N600 router which should be able to handle the video stream very well. The room is only about 30ft or so and a wall away from the router.
What could be the problem?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I just recently put an ATV in my daughters room and it loads extremely slow. A 2 minute vid takes several minutes to load. A 25 minute show took 10 to 15 minutes to load. I'm not even sure if a movie would load at all. My ATV in the living room is connected directly to my router so my loading is only seconds. I have a Netgear N600 router which should be able to handle the video stream very well. The room is only about 30ft or so and a wall away from the router.
What type of files mkv or mp4?

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
One, please don't bump your post.

Two, has the signal strength? Where are you loading the content from?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
mp4

thanks for the bump tip!
Good signal strength...content from LaCie HD via MacBook Air

I really didn't ask the question very clearly. :eek: Of course they're mp4 because that's all the aTV will use. My real questions are: 1) is the source dvd or BR, 2) were they repackaged or transcoded, 3) have they been optimized?

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I really didn't ask the question very clearly. :eek: Of course they're mp4 because that's all the aTV will use. My real questions are: 1) is the source dvd or BR, 2) were they repackaged or transcoded, 3) have they been optimized?

mic,it seems to be all the media. Even music takes forever to load. I tried to play a song and it took several seconds...maybe a minute to load it. All the content works fine on my wired ATV but the wireless one has the problem. Some of the vids are DVD,BR and downloads.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Which ATV?

Swap the two ATVs, see if the problem persists.

Change the WiFi from 5 to 2.4 GHz or vice versa.

Best bet, run an Ethernet cable.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Which ATV?

Yeah...I cringe at the thought of having to run a cable. I'll try swapping to 2.4 to see if that helps,then I'll try swapping the ATV's.

----------

They are both ATV 3's

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
mic,it seems to be all the media. Even music takes forever to load. I tried to play a song and it took several seconds...maybe a minute to load it. All the content works fine on my wired ATV but the wireless one has the problem. Some of the vids are DVD,BR and downloads.
Well, if even your music is slow to load, yes, there must be a more systemic problem. Your router is dual band. Are you sure it is using the wireless n band? Can you provide a specific data rate between the MB and aTV? Can you provide signal/noise measurement? Have you done a factory reset on the slow aTV? Any info on your how your system is working (other than "good signal strength") can only help with figuring out the source of the problem.

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
You could get an Aiport Express and use it as a wireless extender. I'm not sure if its signal strength or not though. As you said strength is good, it may not be that. Definitely switch the two and try it though, because it could be the Apple TV. You could try restoring the software on iTunes too, that may help.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012

All good suggestions, even the ethernet. But unless you have some sort of interference limiting your data rate, an ethernet should not be needed as a permanent fix. I have my MBP on a different floor than my aTV/router, get marginal signal strength and I have no problem streaming BR's using wifi.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Well, if even your music is slow to load, yes, there must be a more systemic problem. Your router is dual band. Are you sure it is using the wireless n band? Can you provide a specific data rate between the MB and aTV? Can you provide signal/noise measurement? Have you done a factory reset on the slow aTV? Any info on your how your system is working (other than "good signal strength") can only help with figuring out the source of the problem.

Good questions...The only one I can answer is "Have you done a factory reset on the slow ATV". No I haven't. It's new out of the box first time set up. I did do the software update on it.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Good questions...The only one I can answer is "Have you done a factory reset on the slow ATV". No I haven't. It's new out of the box first time set up. I did do the software update on it.
Well, swap'em out and see if is the unit or the network. If it's the unit, do the reset. Then first test wired, then move to wireless.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
Sweet! Got it working...On my wireless network I have a Netgear41 and a Netgear41-5G...I had my MacBook Air and the ATV on the Netgear41-5...switched the MBA to the Netgear41 and BAM! it started working. As far as I know the ATV is still set to the Netgear41-5g...I didn't even check because it was working.

----------

Thanks for the help guys!

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I also have a dual band router and have noticed that streaming and Airplay from my MacBook Pro works much better when the MacBook is on the 2.4 band and the ATV is on the 5 band.

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I also have a dual band router and have noticed that streaming and Airplay from my MacBook Pro works much better when the MacBook is on the 2.4 band and the ATV is on the 5 band.

Wow...good to know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.