Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
So I have the 27" iMac 27" on it's way. I went with the 8GB standard (plus fusion). My initial impression is that the computer only takes 2 RAM cards, but now I understand it'll take 4.

Am I ok to just add the 2x8GB Crucial to the existing 2x4GB, or am I better removing the 2x4GB and keeping the RAM all the same, or possibly ordering another 2x8GB kit to have 32GB total?

Thanks!

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
It really is up to you.

The iMac core i5 & i7 chipsets support dual-channel memory--not triple-channel. When you open your memory access panel, you will see that the two SODIMM are in staggered slots.

Whatever matched pairing memory you order, you will install that pair in the open slots, and you're good to go.

I did opt for and went with the 32GB option. I couldn't be happier . . . well . . . if my 3TB Fusion drive were a 3TB SSD, I'd be happier, but only if someone else paid for it. :D

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So I have the 27" iMac 27" on it's way. I went with the 8GB standard (plus fusion). My initial impression is that the computer only takes 2 RAM cards, but now I understand it'll take 4.

Am I ok to just add the 2x8GB Crucial to the existing 2x4GB, or am I better removing the 2x4GB and keeping the RAM all the same, or possibly ordering another 2x8GB kit to have 32GB total?

Thanks!
Yes, you can have 2x4GB plus 2x8GB in the system.

And whatever you decide, you need to hold on the original Apple memory for certain AppleCare issues. The most important is if they decide to replace your system for some reason.

DocMultimedia

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2012
Charlottesville, VA

Thanks!

Yep, that is what I did. Love my iMac.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
I actually went ahead and ordered an additional 2x8GB... I figure for $78 it's a very small price to pay for an additional level of futureproofing. I'll hang on to the old and to 4x8GB.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I greatly appreciate it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.