Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Trying to figure out what to do. The iPad Mini is something I could really use. Most of my web browsing is done from my bed with my MacBook Pro and it's just getting old. I love my MacBook Pro but it's just very bulky, heavy, and hot for web browsing.

So I thought to get the iPad Mini, which would be perfect for my needs. But I'm not sure whether to wait for the iPad Mini 2 or get it now. I'm a bit worried about eye strain with a non-retina display, considering I use my retina iPhone constantly. Is this an issue in your experience? When using it in the store, I really liked it but got a bit of eye strain using it. I'm not sure whether this is because of the fact that text is so small, the lighting (Apple Stores are very bright & the iPad was on max), or the non-retina resolution.

Also, is there a 3rd party web browser you would recommend for the Mini? Looking for something where you can increase font size and it'll wrap.

Aug 5, 2012
Wait for the next version with Retina.

I bought a mini and within a week gave it away as its just horrible as it is now... Once you go retina there's no turning back!

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
I think I would wait until after March with buying an iPad mini, which is what I'm going to do myself. That is, if it turns out that there will be an upgrade (even if just a spec bump) of the iPad mini in March.

A good rule of thumb is to never buy the first revision of any tech product; this market penalizes early adopters. However, if it turns out the next iPad mini will come out in November, you might as well buy the current model if you really want it. You can always sell it later.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
You can wait. A new mini is coming guaranteed. It's one of those things where you don't know why they didn't do the obvious.

As far as eye strain you will get it if a device is on max. Max is only meant for outside.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Actually, from what's going on with rumors, seems like the March revision will just be a spec boost, as in an A6, no retina. Usually by now, there would be more chatter about a retina display and/or a display leak.

Plus it would make sense to have a spec boost in March, to keep it "fresh", then keep the big feature of the retina display for October. Idk, maybe I have it all wrong?

Aug 5, 2012
Actually, from what's going on with rumors, seems like the March revision will just be a spec boost, as in an A6, no retina. Usually by now, there would be more chatter about a retina display and/or a display leak.

Plus it would make sense to have a spec boost in March, to keep it "fresh", then keep the big feature of the retina display for October. Idk, maybe I have it all wrong?

Why are you asking for advice then?!

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
As a current mini owner, and someone who has been since it launched and used it joyfully every day since then, I'd say, go for it. This is a device that is one of the most enjoyable Apple products I've ever owned, and I've been an Apple enthusiast since the Apple II+ days.

As long as you're not a spec whore or retina bigot, this device, if you're looking for portability in an iOS tablet, is fantastic.

Regarding an updated mini, I would suggest you look to what the rumour mill usually churns up in the months leading up to the release, and since we're now a mere ~1-1/2 months from a (supposed) March announcement, ask yourself what no product leaks, no picture leaks, no physical dimension leaks, no supply chain leaks might mean regarding an imminent March release.

Now, I haven't played Joe Danger since I got home from work, so I'm going to go sit on the sofa and enjoy what is one of the best iOS games I've played in a long time.

Why are you asking for advice then?!

Civility in discourse, huh?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
What is with this retina fascination?

Seriously, get one if you need one. Many, including myself, have zero issue with the non-retina display.

Looks fine to me.
These people who say you can't read anything on the screen should perhaps visit their local optomitrist for a check up.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
New Concept Warning

1. If you need it now, buy it now.
2. If you want it now, buy it now.
3. If neither 1 or 2, wait.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1

Although I would really like an iPad mini with retina screen, a spec boost will be enough for me in March; I will buy it anyway.

Heck, even if an iPad mini 3 does come with retina in Oct/Nov, there's a chance it will be bulkier and/or heavier than the current one since it will consume more power and therefore need a larger battery. And then what? Wait until the iPad mini 4 gets released?

Last edited:

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Looks fine to me.
These people who say you can't read anything on the screen should perhaps visit their local optomitrist for a check up.

Funny enough, those people will also claim that we are the ones who should get our eyes checked. Their rationale is that only someone with an already blurred vision (or worse) will have difficulties to tell a retina screen from a non-retina screen.

FWIW, I can tell the difference between 160 ppi and 300 ppi, but I don't have any issues with the screen of the current iPad mini. I'm more concerned about the CPU and RAM, and how long into the future I can keep the software up-to-date. Sluggishness is even worse than pixelation IMO.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Since no one can tell you this, it is irrelevant to your decision.

It's not totally irrelevant. Knowing that the original iPad was left out of iOS updates (6.0 and onwards) less than 18 months after Apple took it off the shelves, I see it as a dealbreaker that the current iPad mini has old hardware like the iPad 2... which is now nearly two years old.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
The good thing about Apple products is the resale value doesn't go down very much. I say go buy an iPad mini now use it until a new one that you want comes out and then sell it you might lose $100 at most.

I am using my mini right now and absolutely love it!!

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
The good thing about Apple products is the resale value doesn't go down very much. I say go buy an iPad mini now use it until a new one that you want comes out and then sell it you might lose $100 at most.

I am using my mini right now and absolutely love it!!

Does the display bother you at all?

And I guess another question to ask is whether the A5 will ever be as laggy as the A4 in basic operations. Used my dad's original iPad and it's just terribly laggy.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
It's not totally irrelevant. Knowing that the original iPad was left out of iOS updates (6.0 and onwards) less than 18 months after Apple took it off the shelves, I see it as a dealbreaker that the current iPad mini has old hardware like the iPad 2... which is now nearly two years old.

If you think it's relevant, then don't buy a Mini. Simple.

----------

And I guess another question to ask is whether the A5 will ever be as laggy as the A4 in basic operations. Used my dad's original iPad and it's just terribly laggy.

How does whether it bothers someone else apply to you?

Yes, eventually, the A5 will be laggy.

wknapp0924

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Honolulu, HI
I have the iPhone 5 and also the MacBook retina and the display on my iPad mini does not bother me. When I'm at home I barely use the MacBook or the iPhone 5. When they do come out with a retina display yes I will definitely buy it but until then it is not a dealbreaker for me. Great little device and zero lag for me, but I'm not a gamer. Look at a purchase as just renting it for a few months.

This is coming from someone who vowed to never get an iPad because it was an oversized iPhone, But the size of the Mini is absolutely perfect.

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
If you think it's relevant, then don't buy a Mini. Simple.

Oh, I'm going buy one. It's just that I'll wait until the refresh. Yes, simple it is.

By the way, my posting was meant to emphasize why the internals should be more of a concern than retina display, not to utter dismay about the iPad mini (even if this was hard to avoid). I'm sure that most of the users are satisfied.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yes, almost bought one last time I was in the Apple Store. Just not sure if I'll regret it once the retina model comes out.

I know you're just asking for opinions, but you know everything that will be said.

If you suspect you will regret it, you prob will. So wait.

Or sell the current one when the next comes out.

----------

Surely you live near an Apple Store or best buy so you can decide for yourself if the display bothers you.

All hardware lags at some point. When it does its time for you to upgrade.

It's an iPad, it doesn't have a ten year lifespan. The mini is cheap enough so upgrading isn't that painful.

Ztormie

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
I'll tell you what, get one now, and if they update it with retina in march I will buy that one for you. Seriously, safest bet in the world for me.

TJ5921

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2011
Get one and enjoy until october when the 3rd revision is released with retina. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.