Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2012
I do think that dumb phones will make a comeback, I saw a lady walking with a flip phone and I don't know why, but I just wanted it.

ivtecDOu

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2008
mass
haha this thread is funny, i remember when i first got my iphone, had to pay full pricing for the phone, and had to pay the higher cell phone plan. I used to think i was the **** walking around with the iphone and using edge on safari:D

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
It stopped being a status symbol when Apple got AT&T to subsidize it. Paying $200 for a phone is bourgeois. Paying $600 for a phone that doesn't have 3G (when most phones had 3G)? Now that's reserved only for the upper class.

(I'm talking iPhone and iPhone 3G days [2007, 2008])

furam90

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
Pretty sure almost everyone I know uses an iPhone.

As a test I just went through my text messages to see the last message I got from someone that wasn't an iMessage. I had to go through 13 people... so 12 out of the 13 recent people I've texted recently have iPhones.

It's not like the old days of the original iPhone where working touchscreens on a phone was some form of voodoo magic. Now adays the iPhone is the standard go-to phone for everyone.

Personally I think this will be my last iPhone because it seems Apple cares more about catering to grannies and soccer moms than innovating.

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Who cares what a phone could potentially represent...just use what you like using. I like my iPhone which is why I use it. I don't care if it's a status symbol or not. :rolleyes:

EstaVidaLoca

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
For free you say? You must be familiar with the urban environments I mentioned earlier.

No I'm not familiar with the urban environments you mentioned earlier. As a matter of fact I'm about as familiar with the ghetto as you are with tact. Since when does free automatically equal stolen? I'm sure A&T offers a free up front iPhone with a contract and unless they give you the latest phone for free with free service your phone will never be a status symbol.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I do think that dumb phones will make a comeback, I saw a lady walking with a flip phone and I don't know why, but I just wanted it.

In my opinion it's a shame that no one has made a really high end fliptop phone. The reason people think that fliptops are "cheap and crappy" is because they ARE cheap and crappy... But they don't have to be. If someone made a premium fliptop I'd actually consider buying one :) My tablet has kinda replaced my iPhone anyway, so a durable but high end fliptop is starting to appeal. The Sony Ericson is getting there, but not quite...

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Terminology

It used to be cool, owning an iPhone. You were a techno freak, up to date on the newest in mobile technology. You were cool, trendy, and proud!

However, at a christmas party the other day, I sat around a table with some friends, all boys. We were taking photos, and they all pulled out their android phones. And there I sat with my white iPhone.. Further down the table there were two girls. They both had white iPhones, one with a "diamond" back cover on it.

For the first time I was somewhat embarrased of owning an iPhone. I tried a friends Samsung phone, and quickly realized that this was advanced stuff. Had I gotten so used to my user friendly iPhone, that I'd lost the ability to quickly understand new technology, as I did before?

Today at the university, it seams like the "cool" boys use android phones. The ones who loves new tech, and knows what they want. While the iPhone is reserved for the technological impaired.

Point is, has the sociological aspect of owning an iPhone changed that much the last years?

This is copied from a Norwegian forum, with the original title "Is iPhone becoming a girls phone?" (didn't want to get too flamed..)

EDIT:
To clarify: I was not the author of the original post.

This post was not to discuss whether or not forum users care about the status of their iPhone. But how a change in this will affect the iPhone/iPhone sales, or other topics.

The iPhone today is in many ways a safe phone. For people who know nothing it's cool, it works and the world of (iPhone-prized) android devices can be quite intimidating for many.

But what would happen if the iPhone lost it's "coolness"?

Girls? Boys? Are these childrens parties?

----------

He tried a Samsung and he quickly realized this was advanced stuff?
dude if you want an excuse to get a 5-inch phone you don't need one okay?
most tech dudes i know go with android because they can pirate games and apps.

That's what it comes down to: the most vocal people who want bigger screen on the iphones is so they can use them for the plethora of games and a lot are pirated on the android side. Lots of teen boys with an IT bent.

Come to think of it, the big screens would also benefit "adult oriented material".

That being said, the alleged status of a device is the very LAST reason I would have for purchasing anything.

Last edited:

comptr

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2007
Arizona
I still dont get why a phone needs to be a status symbol. If you want a status symbol get a cartier watch or get a expensive sports car or a older classic car.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Just saw on CNBC today that iPhones are not cool amount young folks anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.