Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigblues

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Evening all!

Well now I have got my Shipped email from Apple, (YAY!)

I want to order the ram also so I have everything at the sametime.

Obviously I have found the Crucial memory 16GB Kits (obviously I would buy 2 Kits) Priced at £63.59 inc the dreaded VAT.

I just found this also at eBuyer, but unsure if its the same as above or not...
Linky

Or I wondered if there was somewhere else that I missed. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Evening all!

Obviously I have found the Crucial memory 16GB Kits (obviously I would buy 2 Kits) Priced at £63.59 inc the dreaded VAT.

Linky

Aren't there only 2 RAM slots in the imac 27"

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California
Evening all!

Linky

Aren't there only 2 RAM slots in the imac 27"

Uh, FOUR.

TurboGrafx16Fan

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
I purchased memory from Crucial. They are a well known name brand, have quality products and that goes a long way when it comes to memory. You might be able to save some money elsewhere, but the potential headaches that could ensue are not worth it.

craigblues

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I purchased memory from Crucial. They are a well known name brand, have quality products and that goes a long way when it comes to memory. You might be able to save some money elsewhere, but the potential headaches that could ensue are not worth it.

I'm not looking for cheap but I know alot of other suppliers also stock the Crucial Memory and just wondered if any had a sale on. :rolleyes:

Crucial I think it is, but I have heard some mention Crosair memory is also good. Just want to make the right choice. I have always gone Crucial in the past but has that been the right choice? ha!

TurboGrafx16Fan

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
From my research they were all around the same price for the Crucial ram. I also noticed Crucial released a new model number that they suggest for the late 2012 iMac.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
he probably does video and 3d work. If you do high res stuff it will quickly eat up even 32GB. Computers aren't only for gaming :p

Or he could just be one of those who thinks he needs to "max out" and "future proof" his machine by getting what everyone else gets. Hence the question what he needs it for - which btw, he has failed to answer so far.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Or he could just be one of those who thinks he needs to "max out" and "future proof" his machine by getting what everyone else gets. Hence the question what he needs it for - which btw, he has failed to answer so far.

perhaps but who cares lol, why do you even need to know. RAM is cheap anyway, may as well max it out.

craigblues

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Well shall I answer all these questions. Ha!

One I do Video and Photo editing all day everyday. Plus for £120 for 32GB Ram to have the full capabilities of the £2200 machine I've just purchased just sounds the right thing to do...

I was basically confirming which brand I should go for. But I think I knew the answer from the start. Crucial it is.

mistagogo

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013

One I do Video and Photo editing all day everyday. Plus for £120 for 32GB Ram to have the full capabilities of the £2200 machine I've just purchased just sounds the right thing to do...

I was basically confirming which brand I should go for. But I think I knew the answer from the start. Crucial it is.

Still getting 16Gb (plus the 8 original) you'll have more RAM than you need, and spend the extra 60 quid on something else.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
perhaps but who cares lol, why do you even need to know. RAM is cheap anyway, may as well max it out.

Completely useless if you're not using it.
"May as well max it out" is exactly the kind of reasoning that is plain stupid and quite frankly, even idiotic.

Having the full capabilities of something doesn't mean anything if you can't use the machine to its full capability. 16GB will be more than enough for some photo and video editing. As a reference, I did video and photo editing on my MBP '09 with 4GB of RAM and never had any problems.

As a sidenote, you can add more RAM later if you do end up needing more. I would get 16GB and add more as time goes on if I need more. Just my 2 cents. But hey, your life and your money. Spend it on useless things if you wish :)

Gavzooka

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2013
So what would justify more RAM?

Personally, I want to run Parallels with a couple of VM's running at once, at least...I think that justifies a reasonable RAM upgrade.

Very large image editing.....probably at a professional level (not just photographs)...

3D Rendering and image manipulation.....

Professional level video/music editing maybe?

Anything else.....?

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
So what would justify more RAM?

Personally, I want to run Parallels with a couple of VM's running at once, at least...I think that justifies a reasonable RAM upgrade.

Very large image editing.....probably at a professional level (not just photographs)...

3D Rendering and image manipulation.....

Professional level video/music editing maybe?

Anything else.....?

Are you doing all those at once? And are you doing any of those for a living or just a hobby?

I'd say that you might benefit from 16GB but still probably don't need as much as 32GB. In any case, getting 16GB(2x8GB) at first won't hurt. If you notice that things are running slow, get 2x8GB more and you'll have 32GB.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'd say that you might benefit from 16GB but still probably don't need as much as 32GB. In any case, getting 16GB(2x8GB) at first won't hurt. If you notice that things are running slow, get 2x8GB more and you'll have 32GB.

I agree with this, why not try 24GB (2 x 4GB it comes with and then buy 2 x 8GB aftermarket). I mean people can do what they want, but it seems to make more sense than just tossing 8GB of RAM you paid for (when you bought the machine). I did the same thing with my 27" late 2009. It came with 2 - 2GB sticks and I just stuck in 2 x 4GB's to get me to 12GB. It was plenty for me for me and then I sold it about a year and a half later to buy my Macbook Pro.

Now if you are running a laptop (i.e. Macbook Pro) then you have to toss the memory it came with since it only has two slots.

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
I agree with this, why not try 24GB (2 x 4GB it comes with and then buy 2 x 8GB aftermarket). I mean people can do what they want, but it seems to make more sense than just tossing 8GB of RAM you paid for (when you bought the machine). I did the same thing with my 27" late 2009. It came with 2 - 2GB sticks and I just stuck in 2 x 4GB's to get me to 12GB. It was plenty for me for me and then I sold it about a year and a half later to buy my Macbook Pro.

Now if you are running a laptop (i.e. Macbook Pro) then you have to toss the memory it came with since it only has two slots.

This makes even more sense. 24GB should be plenty enough for most people!

I have a 32MB stick you can have for free!

LOL, I didn't even notice the typo in the title XD

Gavzooka

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2013
Are you doing all those at once? And are you doing any of those for a living or just a hobby?

I'm not doing any but the virtualisation but....I'm just suggesting so that people have an idea what extra RAM is useful for. Unsure on Mac OS but for 3D rendering on a Windows more RAM makes a huge difference as it reduces the time data has to spend on a scratch disk. Same applies on large images, not so sure about large video files though.

For virtualisation, I'd be running between 2-4Gb per virtual machine and therefore 16Gb is probably plenty. However, I have to mock up test environments from time to time where I have to run multiple workstations and servers within the VM environment, so 32Gb would help with that....on PC they're not the fastest as you have to balance the load across processor cores but it does the job for what I need....I'm hoping the same is possible on my iMac when it arrives...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.