Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankiechessher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
hello, i am new to all this forum sites but i have fount them very handy, unfortunately i have had my ipod touch stolen. but i have signed into my apple id account, and installed find my ipod, or what every it is. if it has been stolen and the person who has got it now does a factory reset, does that still mean i would be able to track it ? thanks guys

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
hello, i am new to all this forum sites but i have fount them very handy, unfortunately i have had my ipod touch stolen. but i have signed into my apple id account, and installed find my ipod, or what every it is. if it has been stolen and the person who has got it now does a factory reset, does that still mean i would be able to track it ? thanks guys

Naw man. If he restored, that's it.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

If he resets it, then it’s gone. However hopefully when he turns it on it’ll pick up a WiFi signal and show up on the Find My iPhone map. But the thing is, is that even if it does show up on the map, you still need to retrive it. Just hope that the theif doesn’t live in a high rise urban area, as determining which floor of a large apartment building he’s on would be pretty much impossible. You’d have much better luck if he was in a detached house, but then there’s still the question of wether the police will be willing to get a search warrant, go round to his place etc...

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
It's more than likely gone. I doubt he'd sign into wifi before restoring the ipod

Apparently you don't have to log on to a WiFi network to track it. I'm not sure how it works, but it can locate itself just by picking up WiFi networks (without actually connecting to them). Although locating itself is kinda useless when it can't get the signal out to tell the owner where it is :eek:

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
If he resets it, then it’s gone. However hopefully when he turns it on it’ll pick up a WiFi signal and show up on the Find My iPhone map. But the thing is, is that even if it does show up on the map, you still need to retrive it. Just hope that the theif doesn’t live in a high rise urban area, as determining which floor of a large apartment building he’s on would be pretty much impossible. You’d have much better luck if he was in a detached house, but then there’s still the question of wether the police will be willing to get a search warrant, go round to his place etc...

If you lose your cellphone, don't blame Wayne Dobson

Wayne Dobson doesn't have your cellphone.

Even if it looks like he might.

In the past two years the 59-year-old retiree has been pestered by people showing up at all hours of the day and night at his house, demanding their phones. They've yelled, shown him evidence, called the police - sworn that their phone is in his house.

But he's no thief.

"It's very difficult to say, 'I don't have your phone,' in any other way other than, 'I don't have your phone,' " Dobson said.

What has become a powerful tool for police hunting down bad guys and people who lose their phones or who call 911 has backfired on Dobson. An unexplained glitch with at least one cellphone company is directing people with missing phones to his North Las Vegas home.​

http://www.lvrj.com/news/if-you-lose-your-cellphone-don-t-blame-wayne-dobson-186670171.html

Sadly I think the other guys are right, it's unlikely you'll ever see it again.

I know exactly how you feel - I've just had my second one thieved recently in just under 18 months. Simply no trace of either of them (well someone tried to log into my Facebook account from my iPod Touch 3rd gen in Ecuador), both now completely irretrievable. I use(d) an iPod almost as a smartphone because it saved me spending £££'s on an iPhone with a contract, it was perfect; but now I've got around £500 worth of iPods missing I can't yet bring myself to replace it especially with the jobs situation in the UK and the whole lack of money thing.

Sod's law. I've decided that if there was a god of sorts he/she would definitely hate me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.