Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
In the last year, I've been hearing the formerly obscure term "Narcissist" used quite often . It's been coming up a lot on talk radio and general conversation about ex's especially. The term means someone who has an over inflated opinion of themselves and disregard of other's feelings. Is this an epidemic or just the latest pop psych fad?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I have noticed the general overuse of mental health diagnostic terminology.

I see OCD being used all the time.

I think this usage is potentially hurtful to others.

I don't like it much.

That's just MY opinion.

:rolleyes: ;) :D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I have noticed the general overuse of mental health diagnostic terminology.

I see OCD being used all the time.

I think this usage is potentially hurtful to others.

I don't like it much.

That's just MY opinion.

:rolleyes: ;) :D

That reminds me upon a whole lot of posts of mine...since I often struggle with beginning one without the almighty capital I.

So what is your HG-One doing? :D

But I actually didn't recognize an inflationary usage of said term. Quite strange, since that's what the inflationary usage of Twitter and Faceb. is mostly all about.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
That reminds me upon a whole lot of posts of mine...since I often struggle with beginning one without the almighty capital I.

So what is your HG-One doing? :D

But I actually didn't recognize an inflationary usage of said term. Quite strange, since that's what the inflationary usage of Twitter and Faceb. is mostly all about.

OCD gets used a lot here on MR. I don't know anything about Twitter or Facebook...I don't use social media.

The HG-one should be shipping in a matter of days (or weeks, or something). Anyway, it should be fairly soon.

I'm pumped!!!:D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
OCD gets used a lot here on MR. I don't know anything about Twitter or Facebook...I don't use social media.

Didn't recognize it, or is it some sort of drug? And I don't use any social media myself (not counting MR), but I'd say it's safe to say those are mostly used to promote and multiply oneself. Maybe I should join then, since I stare at my own avatar and posts most of the time I spend around here. :D (but only because of lack of grammar, spellings and intel.)

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Narcissist can be used for almost anything, basically for any selfish act that goes wrong. It just make the issue sounds more interesting.

But if that is the case, you could apply any personality disorder to any action. You could say that a liar is a '"borderline" person, borderliners are liars and 300 other things too.

But that is how the POP media captures general audience attention.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Narcissist can be used for almost anything, basically for any selfish act that goes wrong. It just make the issue sounds more interesting.

But if that is the case, you could apply any personality disorder to any action. You could say that a liar is a '"borderline" person, borderliners are liars and 300 other things too.

But that is how the POP media captures general audience attention.

That's the problematic issue...the casual and incorrect use of diagnostic categories in general usage. Those terms do have real meanings, but very few who use them casually are aware of the technical definitions or understand the potential effect of such casual usage.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Oh great. Another thread about me.
Response Of The Year. :p

The word itself is probably going through a fad. The media or the business world seem to do this from time to time -- pick up on an existing word and beat it to death.

Years ago anything that had to do with work was about achieving "excellence". They overused that word so much that what it actually achieved was self-parody.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.