Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murrayE

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

...Apple has, however, apparently already moved quickly to address the issue, disabling the Java 7 plug-in on Macs where it is already installed. Apple has achieved this by updating its "Xprotect.plist" blacklist to require a minimum of an as-yet unreleased 1.7.0_10-b19 version of Java 7. With the current publicly-available version of Java 7 being 1.7.0_10-b18, all systems running Java 7 are failing to pass the check initiated through the anti-malware system built into OS X.
Should I have such an entry in Xprotect.plist with key MinimumPlugInBundleVersion under key com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin even if I currently do not have any Java browser plut-in installed?

And how/when do such anti-malware settings get updated? Via normal OS X Software Update? via some daemon that runs at start-up? something else?

----------

Should I have such an entry in Xprotect.plist with key MinimumPlugInBundleVersion under key com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin even if I currently do not have any Java browser plut-in installed?

And how/when do such anti-malware settings get updated? Via normal OS X Software Update? via some daemon that runs at start-up? something else?

I note that Apple also has updated XProtect.meta.plist, in the same folder as Xprotect.plist, by setting MinimumPlugInBundleVersion for com.oracle.java.JavaAppletPlugin to be 1.7.10.19.

I had to manually get that update to occur right now (via Security preferences). Would it have happened next time I start up or re-start? Or does some daemon run periodically to do this?

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
It updates daily in the background.

It most likely functions in the same way as maintenance scripts such that scripts that don't run when scheduled due to sleep state or turned off are run upon waking or being turned on.

But your situation suggests that it is set to update at a specific time each day.

Obviously, the "Automatically update safe downloads list" setting must be turned on to receive those daily updates.

Last edited:

boodle

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2004
I figured it was something like this but I couldn't find any details on the plugin situation. It was driving me bonkers last night trying to get an unsigned Java app to run in Safari.

I eventually gave up and ran it in Firefox instead, which gave a warning but allowed me to continue.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I've been a J2EE engineer for about 5 years and I was a C/C++ backend / PHP frontend engineer for about 5 before that. But none of that is relevant since this is about the Java browser plugin, which I do not endorse. I also don't endorse Silverlight or Active X or many of the technologies that seek to deliver application features via. a webpage by client program execution. I consider it to be too dangerous and I will always prefer the download and installation path. With all the misinformation in the responses to this article, I'm actually surprised no one has started blaming Oracle JavaScript.

Granted, there is still no cure for stupid. Bad programming can ruin any language. The reason these criticisms about Java persist is that even poorly engineered code will probably still run. C/C++ would have a lot more compilation issues, stack overflows, segfaults, and other inescapable "crash" problems. Java's strict OO, exception system, and garbage collection allows bad engineers to ignore flaws more easily.

Well there you go, bringing experience and wisdom to a board full of pimply gamers and pseudo-intellectuals...how dare you!!!;)

PJMAN2952

macrumors regular
May 22, 2011
I just disabled Java on Google Chrome and on Safari.

----------

The public releases of Java versions 4 to 7 are not safe.
Apparently, the developer release of JDK 7u12 is safe.
Okay thanks. I just disabled Java on Chrome and Safari.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Browsers such as Firefox do not respect the blockage.

Screenshots – the eighth demonstrates that whilst users of Safari are protected, users of Firefox may remain at risk with the Java 7 Update 10 that is blocked by Apple.

Funny, because I get... (see attached image)

EDIT: Perhaps this is Firefox's built-in mechanism to do something similar (although I thought it just disabled them) instead of Apple's?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 16.39.19 .png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 16.39.19 .png
    174.2 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
Legion

on the move
if the Legion
are on the move
fine by me ^_^ move on by !

jb246

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Downgrade Java

I followed the Apple post to go back to Java 6 and things work great. I will update again when they fix the issue. I needed Java for work purposes and couldn't wait for any other issues.

Elzas

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2013
That's just Eclipse. It sucks!!! One of the worst things that happens is when it fails to acknowledge that certain files that I need exist, but I can't drag them in because they already "exist". In truth, they DO exist, but it can't see them and use them as resources for my code. So I have to take everything out then put it back in. Also, it deleted a bunch of my old assignments (not a problem, but scary) for no reason.

Haha, lol, a student is giving his sage wisdom.

Eclipse is a most excellent IDE. I know, I've been a software developer for over 25 years now and worked with pretty much all well-known IDE's out there with pretty much every well-known language out there. Eclipse was not that great in its infant years but these days it's rock solid: fast, reliable and very feature-complete. Naturally, use when applicable and pick the right tool for the job. But that should go without saying.

And for those people out there that are still on the "Java is slow" (true until the year 2000 when 1.3 was released) bandwagon, please… do your homework before posting such rubbish. If it's real-world experience that you lack then at the very least check the Wikipedia entry first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_performance#Comparison_to_other_languages

And just to quote one of the lines in that article:
"However, high performance computing applications written in Java have recently won benchmark competitions. In 2008[70] and 2009,[71][72] an Apache Hadoop (an open-source high performance computing project written in Java) based cluster was able to sort a terabyte and petabyte of integers the fastest."

JadedRaverLA

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
The public releases of Java versions 4 to 7 are not safe.

Apparently, the developer release of JDK 7u12 is safe.

Do you have a source on that?

NIST lists JDK and JRE 6u35 and previous as being vulnerable. The latest Apple provided build for Macs is 6u37, and 6u38 is available for other platforms.

So, a fully up to date Java 6 installation "appears" to be safe from this attack.

I believe Java 6 has the same security flaw, see the bottom of the OP.

I question the OP on that. It appears to be only Java 6 updates 35 and BELOW that are vulnerable, not the most recent updates.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Do you have a source on that?

NIST lists JDK and JRE 6u35 and previous as being vulnerable. The latest Apple provided build for Macs is 6u37, and 6u38 is available for other platforms.

So, a fully up to date Java 6 installation "appears" to be safe from this attack.

I question the OP on that. It appears to be only Java 6 updates 35 and BELOW that are vulnerable, not the most recent updates.

Good catch but the Apple provided Java 6u37 doesn't support the browser plugin anyway so I don't see the point that you are trying to make?

Using 6u37 version of Java won't allow you to use Java web apps. So, 6u37 isn't a solution for those that want to use Java web apps while being safe from this vulnerability.

JadedRaverLA

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
Good catch but the Apple provided Java 6u37 doesn't support the browser plugin anyway so I don't see the point that you are trying to make?

Using 6u37 version of Java won't allow you to use Java web apps. So, 6u37 isn't a solution for those that want to use Java web apps while being safe from this vulnerability.

It's disabled by default, but can be turned on.

Code:
sudo ln -sf /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws /usr/bin/javaws

Link to Apple Support site.

Works for me in Safari and Firefox using the test here.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
It's disabled by default, but can be turned on.

Code:
sudo ln -sf /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Commands/javaws /usr/bin/javaws

Link to Apple Support site.

Works for me in Safari and Firefox using the test here.

Good find.

Hope this solution helps users that require the Java plugin.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So now we are supposed to use " safe download list". I thought we were supposed to turn that off because of a different security risk.

CharBroiled20s

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2009
This is strange because Ellison and Jobs were supposedly good friends.

----------

Of course, unpatched security flaws from the previous release went a lot longer before they were fixed, so

your statement is especially relevant since this java exploit has been around since java version 4...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.