Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
If a notification light and a feature like holding ur phone to ur ear to call a person in a text string is what's important, then by all means u deserve a phone like the galaxy. Stupid bells and whistles that have no real world use only annoy me. It seems like all these other companies advertise their phones based soley on stupid features (samsung commercials with bump to share photos etc) and to me it only says how bad the actual phone really is. Even when apple does Siri based ads it annoys me because in real life Siri is a half baked feature at best.

Enjoy having to constantly tap your phone to see if you have new messages. A notification light is useful and great, and is not a bell and whistle feature. Maybe if you had even had that feature, you'd see how useful it is.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
OP, can you provide a link showing where the S4 will be coming out in March? Maybe the international version will be introduced in March or even released in March, but no way in heck will the US version be out that soon. Try June or July at best.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Yep just like Siri. It takes longer to use Siri than just pressing the buttons.

Exactly.

Stupid for you is not stupid for everyone. Nothing wrong with OP ranting, many of you would agree if he ranted about other OSs

Note, I think the OP has every right to rant about it. Personally, I think it's ridiculous needing such "features" cause it makes the person saying look lazy enough to spend 4 seconds to open the app and use it. But those are just my 2 cents.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Why would you need a "feature" which is to call someone just by raising the phone to your ear? Can't you take 4 seconds to open the contact list and select the contact you want to call?

Those kind of features are so...stupid.

What features on the iPhone are considered smart then?

----------

Note, I think the OP has every right to rant about it. Personally, I think it's ridiculous needing such "features" cause it makes the person saying look lazy enough to spend 4 seconds to open the app and use it. But those are just my 2 cents.

So I guess the notification center is "stupid" since people aren't clicking on each individual app to check their calls, messages, calendars but instead swiping down to check everything at once. Lazy....... :rolleyes:

bradPiano

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011

Good design is meant to make your life easier. Just because the iPhone does things a certain way doesn't mean it's the way they should be done. It's certainly not lazy to respond to good design, especially if it keeps you off of your phone (a device that can be more of an obstruction to productivity than anything else).

I like these critical threads. It's important to stay in realty and to keep informed.

powerwagon

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2013
Why would you need a "feature" which is to call someone just by raising the phone to your ear? Can't you take 4 seconds to open the contact list and select the contact you want to call?

If Apple invented that then it would be "magical" or "genius"...Lol. It's actually quite useful. The "stay awake" feature is also quite useful.

OnlyGerman

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010
Why would you need a "feature" which is to call someone just by raising the phone to your ear? Can't you take 4 seconds to open the contact list and select the
contact you want to call?

Naa you wouldn't understand.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012

Fella,

If Apple would have those features on the iphone 5 you'd all be singing and praising Apple for innovation. Jobs was a hypocrite who shafted his friend Wozniak and a greedy fk. Yes, I've owned every single Apple product except Mac Pro and the retina Mbp and the Mini which sucks the big one btw and I do love em but $1000 for a phone cause it has a bitten fruit on its back...give me SOME innovation. Where's the charity money jobs donated? Latest tech my ass, as far as phones go get an Android, you'll be happier. iPhone USED to be cool and innovative, not anymore. iPhone is turning into BlackBerry. iPhone 4 ruled man...those were the days.
It's cause of Apple nerds and brainwashed idiots that Apple executives don't need toilet paper anymore. Siri was God like, Google Now is the answer these days.

Last edited:

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Enjoy having to constantly tap your phone to see if you have new messages. A notification light is useful and great, and is not a bell and whistle feature. Maybe if you had even had that feature, you'd see how useful it is.

Did you not read the post two posts below yours explaining how to turn on LED notifications in iOS 6? :(:confused:

----------

Fella,

If Apple would have those features on the iphone 5 you'd all be singing and praising Apple for innovation..

What features? The "feature" that automatically calls a friend who recently texted me when I lift my phone to my face? Why would I want that? What if I wasn't planning to call them and the feature was triggered by accident? Isn't it easier to just click "Call" from the text window? It sounds like a poorly conceived feature.

If Apple would have those features on the iphone 5

Except they don't, and they won't have such a feature in future products either because it's stupid and gimmicky.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Did you not read the post two posts below yours explaining how to turn on LED notifications in iOS 6? :(:confused:

----------

What features? The "feature" that automatically calls a friend who recently texted me when I lift my phone to my face? Why would I want that? What if I wasn't planning to call them and the feature was triggered by accident? Isn't it easier to just click "Call" from the text window? It sounds like a poorly conceived feature.

Except they don't, and they won't have such a feature in future products either because it's stupid and gimmicky.

Notification light can have different colors on the Android for different notifications.

If you're not capable of using the lift your phone to call the person feature correctly then turn it off... It has been very useful for me and I never dialed another person by mistake and have not heard of any similar incident anywhere.

Last edited:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Exactly.

I feel offended that you call me lazy for using such feature, it works pretty well and sometimes I just forget to press on call to call the person I want to. The amount of times I thought I pressed call on the iPhone only to realize I forgot to do so, this does not happen anymore.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

That half-ass "LED notification" in iOS 6? That is a poor man's way of having a real notification light. I've turned it on before on my iPhone 5 and let me tell you, it sucks and is a faux pau and dangerous. It blinds you with the flash from the camera LED every single time. If I wanted to kill myself, I would have that iPhone "LED notification" turned on while driving my car at night with my iPhone in my vent holder. Get an Android for a proper notification light that won't blind you.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
That half-ass "LED notification" in iOS 6? That is a poor man's way of having a real notification light. I've turned it on before on my iPhone 5 and let me tell you, it sucks and is a faux pau and dangerous. It blinds you with the flash from the camera LED every single time. If I wanted to kill myself, I would have that iPhone "LED notification" turned on while driving my car at night with my iPhone in my vent holder. Get an Android for a proper notification light that won't blind you.

i keep my iPhone mounted on the vent also, when i get a notification my screen lights up every time. but why would you have the phone facing away from you so it would blind you with the flash? thats just silly:p

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
i keep my iPhone mounted on the vent also, when i get a notification my screen lights up every time. but why would you have the phone facing away from you so it would blind you with the flash? thats just silly:p

You ever see a flash go off in a dark car at night? It reflects off the windshield and you can also blind those in another car coming towards you. An LED flash is much brighter than the light from a phone screen. The half-ass iPhone "LED notification" is dangerous and poorly thought out. Even in day time if you have your iPhone faced down on a desk, it can blind you. It's just another example in a long line of poor design by Apple lately.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I saw thousands of people using the iPhone in my life but only one using the LED feature.

As for Android and Blackberry users, a lot depend on the notification light and it just something that is great to have. I had it with with my mobile phone in 2004 and I see no reason why the iPhone and WP7 phones do not have it.

l0gikb0mb

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2012
I enjoy all phones and have absolutely no brand loyalty. Coming from a Note 2, I just bought an iPhone 5. I find it interesting that there are A LOT of people that again spew the Android name saying it beats the competing iPhone at the time, and 99% of the time it is just ridiculous and people looking at fact sheets.

I loved the Note 2 but it did a lot of things I didn't like, and missed a lot of integration I did like (no I don't use that cloud ********). The apps were at times messy, laggy, and just down right bad in comparison. The browsers were laggy as well, except for the stock browser which was nice. The PPI made zooming in frequent for me to be honest.

Reading off of a fact sheet does not equate to a better phone, ever.

metalfab

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2013
I enjoy all phones and have absolutely no brand loyalty. Coming from a Note 2, I just bought an iPhone 5. I find it interesting that there are A LOT of people that again spew the Android name saying it beats the competing iPhone at the time, and 99% of the time it is just ridiculous and people looking at fact sheets.

I loved the Note 2 but it did a lot of things I didn't like, and missed a lot of integration I did like (no I don't use that cloud ********). The apps were at times messy, laggy, and just down right bad in comparison.

I came from a Note II as well :) along with your findings add to the fact the is a huge security hole in any Samsung phone using the Exynos quad core: when exploited basically lets anyone have at your data. Yet to be fixed officially. A dev at XDA has a patch but you must root and apply it. down side your front camera could be broken.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

I loved the Note 2 but it did a lot of things I didn't like, and missed a lot of integration I did like (no I don't use that cloud ********). The apps were at times messy, laggy, and just down right bad in comparison. The browsers were laggy as well, except for the stock browser which was nice. The PPI made zooming in frequent for me to be honest.

Coming from an iPhone 5 to a Galaxy Note 2 myself, I find your assertions to be uninformed propaganda that makes me doubt you. Zooming in on the Note 2? Oh, you've never tried reading a webpage on the iPhone.......ZOOM! ZOOM! ZOOM!

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I had the S3.

I had all these wonderful features enabled for a few months, then I realised that by disabling them it saved battery.

Did I miss them?

No, not once. Not a single time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.