Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Hi!

I just recently bought an ibook G3 on ebay a few weeks ago.

Currently its running 10.3.9 and running, a bit slowly...

Is there anything I can do to speed it up a bit?

It has 128 MB Ram built in and 256 SDRAM stick installed in it and a 10 GB HD.

Also, when running classic os9 it lags like no other, any tips on that?

Oh..one last thing, my Dad thinks its capable of running Tiger, I say its not, what do you guys think?

rhodest

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
I have an ibook with the sames specs as yours except for 576mb of ram. It runs tiger well. It isn't incredebly fast but you can't expect that of a four-year old computer.

Malus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Thanks for you help guys.

My Dad is getting Tiger from his friend for free...thats why he wants to put it on my ibook...

MacTurtle

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2005
Arlington, TX
I'll agree, you should bump the memory in it.

My g3/400 b&w came to me with 384 in it. I bumped to 512 and it was fairly happy, I recently bumped another 256 into it, and it has sped up again. I want to push it to a full gig, and then see how it does. :)

osX loves memory. Especially on the older/slower machiens.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Alas, that model iBook maxes out at 640MB RAM.

Upgrading the hard drive to any 5400RPM model will give it a nice kick in the pants, and 10GB is a little thin for running Mac OS X anyway. The problem is, replacing a hard drive in an iBook is not for the faint of heart. I'm still procrastinating on it myself because I switched to a 12" Powerbook as my main portable. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.