Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
With talk of a smaller bezel how will that work? It would make the decide appear smaller than say the Galaxy so surely they would keep the same
size and move to a 10" tablet?

I think a smaller bezel or dimension would put people off thinking they are buying a smaller tablet. Anybody agree?

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
With talk of a smaller bezel how will that work? It would make the decide appear smaller than say the Galaxy so surely they would keep the same
size and move to a 10" tablet?

I think a smaller bezel or dimension would put people off thinking they are buying a smaller tablet. Anybody agree?

I think it'll be a non-issue. The iPad Mini sold on its updated look for some! I think it will be a nice refresh for the full sized iPad to get up to speed with the look of the iPad Mini.

Usability will not be affected, for most. I'm sure there are still those out there that will bemoan not having a place to put their thumb other than on the screen, but Apple at least has a solution in that it wont register your resting thumb on the touch screen.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Won't a larger screen mean a bigger resolution? This means all apps will need to be redesigned, for very minor benefit. Not to mention a larger screen means higher power consumption. I think we will be seeing this 9.7" screen for a long time to come.

I am not sure of the math. How big can we stretch a 2048x1536 resolution and still maintain retina?

My concern is that a smaller form factor means less space to pack in the battery. That better be some serious power savings the IGZO or whatever new screen tech is packing.

That said, my biggest issue with IOS devices in general is not the hardware, which I feel is pretty much unrivalled, but rather, its OS, which seems to have stagnated somewhat (IOS6 practically brought no new features to the ipad3 save for siri and maybe 3G FaceTime). That should be what they ought to concentrate on.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
If they shrink the bezel it will not be that much because you need it to hold the iPad. If they shrink it by less than 3mm I am OK with it but any smaller would compromise the use of it drastically. I Personally I need the bezel to hold the iPad and for holding it comfortably the bezel needs to be big enough. Battery life will not be an issue if they use the new IGZO screens that are said to be power saving. I can't imagine them to go with a battery life less than 10h. They wont touch resolution or screen real estate.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If they shrink the bezel, they will keep the screen size the same and the overall size of the iPad will be reduced slightly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.