Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
It is. The admins give some of us a monthly allotment of delicious Hot Pockets to troll the boards and drum up drama.

And I'm not about to turn down some delicious Hot Pockets.

LOL. Well, it all ends up as more web traffic for a resoundingly pro-Apple site.
More pageviews is better for MacRumors, better for Arn, better for Apple.

Renzatic

Suspended
AidenShaw said:
WTF - you mean that I've been here for nearly 13 years for free?

Yup. While we'd like to say we appreciate you starving on our behalf, judging from that one boat thread that went on for pages and pages, your hobbies apparently include taking big yachts into stormy seas with champagne and stuff. Based on that, we assumed you have money to fall back on.

...and thus don't feel too guilty about withholding your paycheck.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Yup. While we'd like to say we appreciate you starving on our behalf, judging from that one boat thread that went on for pages and pages, your hobbies apparently include taking big yachts into stormy seas with champagne and stuff. Based on that, we assumed you have money to fall back on.

...and thus don't feel too guilty about withholding your paycheck.

At least send me a few Hot Pockets!

HP-Deep-Dish-Pizzeria.jpg
HPOrigChickenMeltwithBacon6.12.08.jpg
HPOrigPhillySteakandCheese1.27.09.jpg

Last edited:

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Could you be any more wrong?

Try using the latest Android builds for more than 5 minutes, and on a device that isnt a $100 POS.

Fragmentation has been solved pretty damn well with Android 4.

I have ... and honestly it can't hold a candle to iOS. Android is very damn ugly.

How can you say that fragmentation has been solved when it isn't totally a software issue. There are so many damn devices, memory sizes, CPUs and screen sizes that it becomes very difficult to develop for. It is damn near impossible for anything except a very large company to test against all those devices.

I am doing iOS development right now and only need a handfull of units. Hell, I am using all my previous gen versions and I have everything I need.

Friend of mine owns a firm that developers costume apps for people. They are doing very well for them selves and produce very high quality apps. They are now strictly an iOS shop. Development time on Android was always much higher and a serious pain in the ass. Sure, simple apps is no problem. Trying creating a game that is moderately to high resource intensive. You will lose your mind and it will drain your pocket buying a crap load of test devices.

Just look at the development tools. You can get up and running with XCode and iOS SDK *WAY* faster than with Android.

Interface builder is absolutely amazing. Yes, some people don't use them and would prefer to hand code all the widgets. But, for getting something working quickly ... IB will be a lot easier.

Look at the included libraries. CoreAnimation is awesome, defaults is easy as crap to work with ... and oh ya. Standard push notifications.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I have ... and honestly it can't hold a candle to iOS. Android is very damn ugly.

How can you say that fragmentation has been solved when it isn't totally a software issue. There are so many damn devices, memory sizes, CPUs and screen sizes that it becomes very difficult to develop for. It is damn near impossible for anything except a very large company to test against all those devices.

I am doing iOS development right now and only need a handfull of units. Hell, I am using all my previous gen versions and I have everything I need.

Friend of mine owns a firm that developers costume apps for people. They are doing very well for them selves and produce very high quality apps. They are now strictly an iOS shop. Development time on Android was always much higher and a serious pain in the ass. Sure, simple apps is no problem. Trying creating a game that is moderately to high resource intensive. You will lose your mind and it will drain your pocket buying a crap load of test devices.

Just look at the development tools. You can get up and running with XCode and iOS SDK *WAY* faster than with Android.

Interface builder is absolutely amazing. Yes, some people don't use them and would prefer to hand code all the widgets. But, for getting something working quickly ... IB will be a lot easier.

Look at the included libraries. CoreAnimation is awesome, defaults is easy as crap to work with ... and oh ya. Standard push notifications.

You overstate the issues about developing for Android, they can easily be overcomed by using development techniques used for years on traditional desktop computers. The ironic thing about using your logic is developing for Windows 8 is much better than iOS. I mean just look at the tools, the built in libraries and the programming language. I mean it even comes with DirectX 11! Phwoar...

Though iOS will always be irrelevant to me until they introduce native gesture typing. It's not just some feature that can be replaced by a third party app, it changes the way you use your device.

Just FYI, Google does have a standard for push notifications.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

So basically you've just listed a bunch of things there you've not really compared to... well...anything, and just declared that because you find XYZ features easier, that means Android sucks and iOS rules.

Try developing on both platforms. Try doing it for a living. Try using them as an end user.

Coming out with "I know a guy" type comments really means naff all.

A person with a bias opinion on either iOS or Android is always going to come out with complete fud to support their argument. As far as I'm concerned, having worked with both platforms since 2007, is that they both have pros and cons. Neither is more superior overall and I doubt ever will be.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

The Mac is really hard to develop for uh ? All those screen sizes, CPUs and memory sizes. Heck, we're not even guaranteed the user won't... *gasp*, connect an external monitor to his DP out, so even having an entire table of Mac models with the screen sizes is pointless, there's not even a guarantee that's what the user is running ! :eek:

Then there's the issue of so many OS versions... older Intel Macs stuck on 10.7, new ones on 10.8, users that don't like MC stuck on 10.6.

Soooooooooooo hard.

Thank god we've been doing it for decades and the smallest indie as well as very large companies can do it uh ? ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I find the "argument" above akin to people who say Apple products just work and/or are more intuitive, etc/yadda yadda. There's a bias there. And that's ok as long as you say what your preference is. And not present it as "fact."

Just like both iOS and Android have learning curves. Somethings are easier on one platform than the other and vice-versa.

And it's really important to stay "current" with your discussion points as well. General rule of thumb - making a comment about a feature or whatnot of either a phone or OS that is dated (IE - previous OS, older phone, etc) as a current proof point seems silly to me.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The Mac is really hard to develop for uh ? All those screen sizes, CPUs and memory sizes. Heck, we're not even guaranteed the user won't... *gasp*, connect an external monitor to his DP out, so even having an entire table of Mac models with the screen sizes is pointless, there's not even a guarantee that's what the user is running ! :eek:

Then there's the issue of so many OS versions... older Intel Macs stuck on 10.7, new ones on 10.8, users that don't like MC stuck on 10.6.

Soooooooooooo hard.

Thank god we've been doing it for decades and the smallest indie as well as very large companies can do it uh ? ;)

I was talking about Android, these issues are much harder to deal with.

----------

So basically you've just listed a bunch of things there you've not really compared to... well...anything, and just declared that because you find XYZ features easier, that means Android sucks and iOS rules.

Try developing on both platforms. Try doing it for a living. Try using them as an end user.

Coming out with "I know a guy" type comments really means naff all.

A person with a bias opinion on either iOS or Android is always going to come out with complete fud to support their argument. As far as I'm concerned, having worked with both platforms since 2007, is that they both have pros and cons. Neither is more superior overall and I doubt ever will be.

I am doing iOS development right now. Started doing Phonegap development which was a nightmare to try and make feel native.

Switched to writing it in native Objective C and holy **** it runs way better and spent no time fumbling around with the dumb problems previously.

I have done a mild amount of Android development and the tools don't even come close to how powerful Xcode is.

The13thDoctor

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
@TheRoyalDoctor
As much as I love Apple, the Nexus 4 is a really, really, really good phone. Its actually better or on par with the iPhone 5 imo. And anybody who still says that Android is still laggy, try a stock 4.1 rom.

alexN350z

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2011
How many 4.2 devices do you own? I'm guessing 0.

I'm also guessing thats the amount of Android devices you own.

Want to know how many 4.2 devices I have? 3 ... and 0 of these have "all kinds of glitches".

Furthermore, I'm almost certain that by "all kinds of glitches" you mean the lag caused by Google Currents (which isn't a core App of Android) which can be fixed in under a minute even by a complete novice user:

http://www.talkandroid.com/141899-does-your-nexus-7-lag-after-the-4-2-update-theres-a-fix-for-that/

Oh, and I believe that's since been fixed in an update.

----------

Because all the iPhone users tell the world that benchmarks mean nothing when Androids gets better results.

Here's how it works:

When an Android device gets better benchmarks, they don't mean anything and benchmarks are meaningless. It's all about the user experience.

When iPhone gets better benchmarks, UX is meaningless and any phone that doesn't beat iPhone in benchmarks (which are now vitally important) is total garbage.

You know. The same way that after iPhone got the "retina" display, any phone without it had a completely unreadable screen. Then, once all the Android devices started getting this technology it was "sure they have a high PPI but the colors aren't as good".

Then iPad Mini came with a non-retina display and suddenly everyones vision deteriorated and they "couldn't tell the difference" or "the screen is perfectly adequate".

:rolleyes:

Unfortunately your guess is completely wrong, as mobile team leader at the company I worked for, I own more android devices than you have ever seen in your whole life.
Your arrogance doesn't mean anything to me, as your knowledge of how android OS works possibly is only 0.1% of mine.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Unfortunately your guess is completely wrong, as mobile team leader at the company I worked for, I own more android devices than you have ever seen in your whole life.
Your arrogance doesn't mean anything to me, as your knowledge of how android OS works possibly is only 0.1% of mine.

You are replying to my post which is more than 2 years old. :rolleyes:

avensis22

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2015
Google currently prepare a new generation of Nexus 6, to accompany the launch of Project Fi which provide 4G at a reasonable price, with extended coverage.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
housse galaxy s5 housse galaxy note 3

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.