Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericbreiter

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2012
I ordered a track pad with my iMac since I already have the mouse. I immediately changed to tapping instead of clicking the track pad to produce a click on screen. It requires way too much force to make clicks comfortable similar to what I have experienced on some MacBook Pros. I like the track pad very much apart form one annoying detail: The delay that occurs when dragging/selecting on screen. When I drag something on screen to move an object or to make a selection rectangle using three fingers there is a slight delay of just below a second when releasing before I can do anything else.

For Photoshop I will always drag out my Kensington trackball to do precision work, but even for simple selections the track pad is very annoying with the delay. If I select an area and end up doing something else a bit too quickly, the area will expand to a bigger one. I’m not sure if this is due to the track pad or something in Photoshop.

How do I remove or reduce the gesture release delay on the track pad? There used to be an application called BetterTouchTool that would address this issue but it does not seem to address the delay in Mountain Lion. Any input appreciated.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
It's some setting within the OS and isn't limited to the Magic Trackpad. The same delay exists when I use the built-in touchpad on my Macbook Pro. It's very frustrating.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution (although I keep looking). The only thing I can suggest is to send Apple your feedback on the delay, and hopefully they'll either change the behavior or give us an option to adjust it in the future:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.