Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
I would be interested in learning what icon set/theme you are using for those shown in your desktop picture.

Some of them are stock pics that i found on line but most are what i made myself. Once made use a little program called img2icons to turn them into the right file. Then either copy and paste the icons in preview or the easier way is to use candy bar. I have uploaded a more recent image of some new icons that i made. And also with a black menu bar using Nocturne 3.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 18.19.02.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 18.19.02.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 214
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 18.44.15.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-12 at 18.44.15.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 529
Last edited:

dxstewart

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
Some of them are stock pics that i found on line but most are what i made myself. Once made use a little program called img2icons to turn them into the right file. Then either copy and paste the icons in preview or the easier way is to use candy bar. I have uploaded a more recent image of some new icons that i made. And also with a black menu bar using Nocturne 3.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the time/date to display like that?

Last edited:

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
If you don't mind me asking, how did you get the time/date to display like that?

Playing around with changing application icons. I didn't find a complete set full of all the icons I need with a look I want... so I improvised. All the icons with the actual set are not even shown in the dock. :/ I keep the dock hidden though.

The time/date are added using Geektool. I have uploaded the commands used. Its quite easy to use and there are loads of tutorials out there if you get stuck. Here is the one that i used http://desktopspotting.com/25/awesome-geektool-mac-os-x-desktop/. As far as the icons go, i couldn't find a full set either so decided to make my own. if you have basic knowledge of photoshop they are quite easy to do.

Attachments

• Geektool Commands.txt
    1.9 KB · Views: 165

Mike J

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
How do you get safari to do that if you don't mind me asking?

it's an html document saved somewhere on your computer and then you set your browser's homepage/starpage to the location of that document :)

you can look around on google or deviantart for browser start pages

dxstewart

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2010
The time/date are added using Geektool. I have uploaded the commands used. Its quite easy to use and there are loads of tutorials out there if you get stuck. Here is the one that i used http://desktopspotting.com/25/awesome-geektool-mac-os-x-desktop/. As far as the icons go, i couldn't find a full set either so decided to make my own. if you have basic knowledge of photoshop they are quite easy to do.

Thanks! Played around with GeekTool tonight. Pretty awesome stuff.

I might create custom icons too just so everything matches. I just didn't have the time today... Work. Meh.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
What's the circular thing in the middle? :

Its actually the clock & calendar. Although the time/date is displayed in digits at the top, the circular thing is also a unique clock & calendar combined. It takes a while to get used to it, but its a nice looking clock for a desktop That image above is displaying 12:46 & 35 secs, 13th January

The time of 12:46:35 is representes by..
Yellow outer line is the seconds hand ticking around the clock and resting at 35
Green line is the minutes hand resting at just past 9
Blue line is the hour hand representing 12

The date of 13th January is represented by the inner two lines..
Purple line indicating 13
Grey line indicating 1

Attachments

• ScreenShot2013-01-13at004631.png
    ScreenShot2013-01-13at004631.png
    508.3 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Its actually the clock & calendar. Although the time/date is displayed in digits at the top, the circular thing is also a unique clock & calendar combined. It takes a while to get used to it, but its a nice looking clock for a desktop That image above is displaying 12:46 & 35 secs, 13th January

Yellow outer line is the seconds hand ticking around the clock and resting at 35

Grey line indicating 1

Reminds me of the Polarclock screensaver.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Grey line indicating 1

Is it an app? Can you tell me the name of it? Thanks :)

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Is it an app? Can you tell me the name of it? Thanks :)

Yes its an app called Live Wallpaper, its just one of the themes included. I was directed to it from this forum..

Attachments

• ScreenShot2013-01-13at192741.png
    ScreenShot2013-01-13at192741.png
    552.1 KB · Views: 166
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.