Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Apple, famously, has the same pricing philosophy as Luis Vuitton.. It sells premium products at premium prices, and it never discounts. that philosophy has made it an aspirational brand worldwide.

Meh, an iPad or Macbook is, but I don't think an iPhone is that luxury product anymore. They are plenty of idiots out there on welfare, social security, etc who have an iPhone. Whether they can afford it is a whole another argument. :)

Plus iPhone has gone prepaid. That itself makes it less of a luxury product.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I think they do but it really depends on the store and if the place you are matching is an authorized apple retailer. I do remember one time I was trying to buy a MBP and Microcenter had a better price. They offered to price match it, but wouldn't stack the student discount offer with it so I just went with the BTS discount instead.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Meh, an iPad or Macbook is, but I don't think an iPhone is that luxury product anymore. They are plenty of idiots out there on welfare, social security, etc who have an iPhone. Whether they can afford it is a whole another argument. :)

Plus iPhone has gone prepaid. That itself makes it less of a luxury product.

Subscriptions used to be luxurious, really?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Ya, that's a wrong analogy of the other fallah.

Pre-paid has this connotation that it's for poor people who can't get credit, but for our subsidized system, I think the other way around is true. You ask people to put $600+ dollars up front, they can't do it, so the phone company says, OK we will sell you a cheap phone but you are going to pay us in installment via their packaged, locked plans.

SmartPhone pre-paid these days to me are for people with money but smart enough that they don't need all those minutes or gig-data, therefore cost of ownership over two-years is a better deal for them.

Dumb phones prepaid, yes, are for people struggling OR Grandmas who just need it for emergencies.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

They do run your credit, remember? Some even require huge deposits because your credit score sucks

The fact that Virgin, ST, and Cricket offer the iPhone now shows it isn't a luxury anymore.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
They do run your credit, remember? Some even require huge deposits because your credit score sucks

The fact that Virgin, ST, and Cricket offer the iPhone now shows it isn't a luxury anymore.

But I mean, even a single parent with a minimum wage job would be able to get a subscription...

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I don't think that I have ever heard of an Apple store price matching.

They did for me last week...

I purchased a USB 3.0 drive from them and then coincedently found it for less money...I was told that as long as the price difference was less than 10% there would be no problem...

Whether they would do so for an iPhone, iMac or Macbook is another issue...

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I called an apple store and they said 'no,' they will not match walmart's $127 sale price on an iphone 5.

I was under the understanding that apple retail stores had the authority to match their competitors.

Has anyone had success getting the iphone 5 at a discounted price? Do you have to ask a manager rather than a member of the sales staff?

Your kidding right? Here in the UK at least it's Apple that TELLS everyone else what to sell it's products for, and that's the same price as they sell the stuff for, Apple are the sole reason the iPhone is so expensive no matter how it's brought! Period!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.