Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I was at an Apple Store today picking up a Mac that needed fixing. While I was waiting for them to bring it out, I overheard a conversation between an Apple "Genius" and an elderly man who was buying an iPhone for the first time. He said his old phone that he had for 10 years broke, and he wanted to buy an iPhone to do FaceTime with his grandkids. The guy was unsure about most of the features and generally unfamiliar with the iPhone. The genius asked him if he takes any pictures, watches movies, or plays games and he said no. The genius then asked him how many people he plans on calling on it. I wondered why this made a difference so I listened closely while standing nearby to hear the explanation. The old man said about 10 people, and the genius told him that to fit 10 phone numbers he would need to buy the 64 GB. He was hesitant but said ok and the genius walked off smiling. When he came out with the iPhone he whispered to his buddy who laughed, I'm assuming he told him what he did although I couldn't hear. I felt like explaining to the man how he just got swindled while the guy was in the back but I did not want to implicated in the whole thing, but I regret not saying anything now. I am going to question the next Apple purchase I make. This is appalling.

Last edited:

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I was at an Apple Store today picking up a Mac that needed fixing. While I was waiting for them to bring it out, I overheard a conversation between an Apple "Genius" and an elderly man who was buying an iPhone for the first time. He said his old phone that he had for 10 years broke, and he wanted to buy an iPhone to do FaceTime with his grandkids. The guy was unsure about most of the features and generally unfamiliar with the iPhone. The genius asked him if he takes any pictures, watches movies, or plays games and he said no. The genius then asked him how many people he plans on calling on it. I wondered why this made a difference so I listened closely while standing nearby to hear the explanation. The old man said about 10 people, and the genius told him that to fit 10 phone numbers he would need to buy the 64 GB. He was hesitant but said ok and the genius walked off smiling. When he came out with the iPhone he whispered to his buddy who laughed, I'm assuming he told him what he did although I couldn't hear. I felt like explaining to the man how he just got swindled while the guy was in the back but I did not want to implicated in the whole thing, but I regret not saying anything now. I am going to question the next Apple purchase I make. This is apalling.

wow, that is ridiculous...

Personally, my experience with the apple genius' hasnt been great ever since Jobs passed away (not saying the two are entirely related)

- one genius told me that he couldnt hear anything wrong with my iMac even though it was making audible clicking noises, and refused to fix the problem (under warranty) unless I can provide a recording of the sound.

- another asked me to accept a replacement iP5 with a defective power button

I wouldn't be surprised if apple's retail score rating drops this year. These 'genius' need to stop acting like bestbuy employees.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
I was at an Apple Store today picking up a Mac that needed fixing. While I was waiting for them to bring it out, I overheard a conversation between an Apple "Genius" and an elderly man who was buying an iPhone for the first time. He said his old phone that he had for 10 years broke, and he wanted to buy an iPhone to do FaceTime with his grandkids. The guy was unsure about most of the features and generally unfamiliar with the iPhone. The genius asked him if he takes any pictures, watches movies, or plays games and he said no. The genius then asked him how many people he plans on calling on it. I wondered why this made a difference so I listened closely while standing nearby to hear the explanation. The old man said about 10 people, and the genius told him that to fit 10 phone numbers he would need to buy the 64 GB. He was hesitant but said ok and the genius walked off smiling. When he came out with the iPhone he whispered to his buddy who laughed, I'm assuming he told him what he did although I couldn't hear. I felt like explaining to the man how he just got swindled while the guy was in the back but I did not want to implicated in the whole thing, but I regret not saying anything now. I am going to question the next Apple purchase I make. This is apalling.

awful if true, but too much conjecture to draw conclusions.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Caveat emptor.

If you shop unarmed or have no knowledge of what you're shopping for -- it's on you.

I'm not condoning the behavior, but . . .

oh give me a break, it was an old man trying to purchase an iPhone, to facetime his grandkids.

He probably saw the facetime commercials on tv and decided to make the purchase; did you expect him to look up these things on the internet first? :rolleyes:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Caveat emptor.

If you shop unarmed or have no knowledge of what you're shopping for -- it's on you.

I'm not condoning the behavior, but . . .

Not really. If the salesperson wants to be honest and put the customer first they should give honest and reliable information.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
oh give me a break, it was an old man trying to purchase an iPhone, to facetime his grandkids.

He probably saw the facetime commercials on tv and decided to make the purchase; did you expect him to look up these things on the internet first? :rolleyes:

To some extent, yes.

If one doesn't inform himself, he will be taken advantage of 9 times out of 10 in my experience.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I felt like explaining to the man how he just got swindled while the guy was in the back but

... you didn't, so how does that make you any different from the guy who did the swindling? And what exactly would you have been implicated with? Telling the truth? Embarrassing someone for knowingly giving wrong information? I can think of worse crimes to implicated with.

Another important point here: Apple didn't do the swindling, but one of their employees did. You should send an e-mail to apple corporate explaining what you saw, with as much information as you know, and give them a chance to investigate the situation.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Not really. If the salesperson wants to be honest and put the customer first they should give honest and reliable information.

IF.....that is a big if. Sales people are just that. Sales people. Not every store will be full of honest humans. Some just want to make the best sale they can. It's sad that he took advantage of his lack of knowledge but it's not like this is an isolated issue at apple stores. It can happen in any store. The car mechanic being the best representation of this noted earlier.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
To some extent, yes.

If one doesn't inform himself, he will be taken advantage of 9 times out of 10 in my experience.

I don't think we should excuse the behaviour of scam artists by blaming the victim. That's the kind of attitude that has led to our increasingly antisocial society. "Every man for himself" etc. Whatever happened to common decency and community?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I don't think we should excuse the behaviour of scam artists by blaming the victim. That's the kind of attitude that has led to our increasingly antisocial society. "Every man for himself" etc. Whatever happened to common decency and community?

I am not excusing it but it is the reality of the world we live in.

I would like to think that common decency and community would prevail but that is not the case often times. As such, one should prepare oneself

deanesfield

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
it is not just Apple ... car mechanics have been doing this kind of stuff for ages.

Still doesn't make it right. He probably checked with his kids, and they said go to apple, they won't rip you off. He apparently blew more bucks than he needed but perhaps it didn't bother him.

Cheers!

Jimmy Guphanti

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Only slightly more appalling than your behavior, you should be ashamed for not saying anything since you obviously know you should have.

With the kind of luck I have, the guy would walk up with the phone right when I tell him, or he would say "That guy there told me." I did not want to be in the middle of it, but in hindsight, the guy took all day to get the phone and I could have told him. I wish I did now that I think of it.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
With the kind of luck I have, the guy would walk up with the phone right when I tell him........ I wish I did now that I think of it.

I would have done it to the salesman's face and then asked for a manager. You should have too :D. That behavior goes beyond a simple misunderstanding or mistake.

It doesn't make any sense to me to state you didn't want to get in the middle of it and then post here.......

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Only slightly more appalling than your behavior, you should be ashamed for not saying anything since you obviously know you should have.
Be honest with yourself, I highly doubt YOU would have even noticed the conversation.
OP had no obligation to say a thing. Just the fact that OP cares enough to make a post about it is proof that in this case the OP is an upstanding and honest human being.

Your welcome OP.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Apple? No I don't see Apple swindling anyone.

Just an asshat employee taking advantage of an uninformed customer.

Happens everyday.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Be honest with yourself, I highly doubt YOU would have even noticed the conversation.
OP had no obligation to say a thing. Just the fact that OP cares enough to make a post about it is proof that in this case the OP is an upstanding and honest human being.

Your welcome OP.

Bull. Complete and utter nonsense.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
I was at an Apple Store today picking up a Mac that needed fixing. While I was waiting for them to bring it out, I overheard a conversation between an Apple "Genius" and an elderly man who was buying an iPhone for the first time. He said his old phone that he had for 10 years broke, and he wanted to buy an iPhone to do FaceTime with his grandkids. The guy was unsure about most of the features and generally unfamiliar with the iPhone. The genius asked him if he takes any pictures, watches movies, or plays games and he said no. The genius then asked him how many people he plans on calling on it. I wondered why this made a difference so I listened closely while standing nearby to hear the explanation. The old man said about 10 people, and the genius told him that to fit 10 phone numbers he would need to buy the 64 GB. He was hesitant but said ok and the genius walked off smiling. When he came out with the iPhone he whispered to his buddy who laughed, I'm assuming he told him what he did although I couldn't hear. I felt like explaining to the man how he just got swindled while the guy was in the back but I did not want to implicated in the whole thing, but I regret not saying anything now. I am going to question the next Apple purchase I make. This is appalling.

OP MAY BE A TROLL!! CHECK THIS WASTELANDED THREAD https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1519309/

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country

It wasn't Apple but a bad employee and contact the store manager and let them know what you witnessed..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.