Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
I know this has been discussed previously, but I always took the discussions with a grain of salt because some of the comments seemed off the wall. After having my mini for a few weeks, though, I can attest to the fact that this thing gets EPIC battery life. After over a day of standby time and 9 hours of use, I'm still at 50%. This includes lots of web browsing, watching a couple videos, texting, downloading apps and playing graphics intensive games.

I'm sure this is because of the 32nm A5 which has been well documented to get great battery life, but to experience it for myself is something else altogether. VERY impressed.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm still amazed at how such a slim, lightweight, capable device can be used all day and not need a charge. The mini is truly amazing.

dannylillhtc

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2012
uk somewhere
i bought mine 2 days ago, read all the reviews, thought he battery life claims were a load of hyped up rubbish, but i must admit its an impressive device, the normal ipad is to big and heavy and my iphone 4s is to small for extended reading, the mini however seems to fit just perfect. well impressed !!

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
It's not a surprise that the iPad dominated the Fujitsu and Toshiba "touch screen computers" and brought about modern tablets to mass consumerism. The difference is uncanny. It's hard to believe companies tried to make notebooks with touchscreen... oh wait.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I only started noticing a few weeks ago, but yes the battery life IS amazing!
Some days I only use it to web browse and read magazines so the battery lasts a few days! Much more than previous tablets I've had for sure.

When the retina Mini comes out, I sure hope the battery life isn't sacrificed too much.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
This morning my iPad 2 was at 17% and I checked the battery usage. It had a standby time of over 4 days and 25 hours of run time, which was internet, streaming radio and a few games sprinkled in. Not too shabby. :)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I'm still amazed at how such a slim, lightweight, capable device can be used all day and not need a charge. The mini is truly amazing.

Yep, I'm still amazed about how the iPad mini delivers wayyyyyyyy better battery life than the claimed "10 hours of battery life" (browsing on Wi-F, watching movies).

At the same time, I'm utterly disappointed Apple's iPhone delivers well below the claimed "8 hours of battery life" (browsing on cellular, watching movies).

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I'm amazed at what battery life my iPad can get, just yesterday I checked, it was at 90% with 3 days plus of standby and said 4hrs 15 minutes of use.

Now if only my Nexus 7 could get that kind of usage. I'm lucky if I get 4 hours of screen on time and don't even bother with 3 days of standby time, the thing would be dead unless I turn it off or put it in airplane mode.

RobNYC

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2008
New York, NY
I'm amazed at what battery life my iPad can get, just yesterday I checked, it was at 90% with 3 days plus of standby and said 4hrs 15 minutes of use.

Now if only my Nexus 7 could get that kind of usage. I'm lucky if I get 4 hours of screen on time and don't even bother with 3 days of standby time, the thing would be dead unless I turn it off or put it in airplane mode.

My iPad 4 does pretty well too. I guess it all depends on what programs you use and how often and for how long. General use or surfing the net, texting, email and apple remote and mine lasted almost a week before it started to get down to the 20% mark.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
This reported battery life makes me want to buy one. Only thing stopping me is the comments on lag. However I don't use any intensive games, except for Infinity Blade (rare) and Need for Speed. Everything else is the usual Google applications, news and sports apps, Netflix and YouTube. Concerned about the screen as well, but I downgraded from Retina MacBook Pro to the normal one and it's been sweet. Perhaps I'm fussing over nothing.

Megalobyte

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Florida
Wife's 32 GB LTE Mini gets well over 10 hours use and 5-6 days SB, with brightness at max. Very impressive. She really only needs to charge once a week or close to it.

If I played with turning off unnecessary services, lowered brightness, made her keep cellular off unless she's ready to use it, I'm guessing it would be 12--15 hours use and 5-6 SB.

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
The battery usage timer under the general settings tab is not at accurate. You are not at 50% after 9 hours of use (not counting standby).

Thetonyk123

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2011
Earth
This reported battery life makes me want to buy one. Only thing stopping me is the comments on lag. However I don't use any intensive games, except for Infinity Blade (rare) and Need for Speed. Everything else is the usual Google applications, news and sports apps, Netflix and YouTube. Concerned about the screen as well, but I downgraded from Retina MacBook Pro to the normal one and it's been sweet. Perhaps I'm fussing over nothing.

Both infinity blade and need for speed run great on it! (Although I like asphalt 7 better) the screen is fine (coming from retina devices). And I always get over 10 hours of battery no matter what I do. I recommend it.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA

Lag? My sisters ipad 3 doesn't seem to lag at all.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Both infinity blade and need for speed run great on it! (Although I like asphalt 7 better) the screen is fine (coming from retina devices). And I always get over 10 hours of battery no matter what I do. I recommend it.

Oh, really? There aren't too many unbiased reviewers on YouTube these days then. It seems to come off as a capable device, slightly let down by the display but has good performance overall. Then they comment on games being laggy. Can't remember which game one reviewer played (Nova? Some kind of FPS), but it looked laggy as hell. But, again, the games I play are on par with 'Where My Water' and 'Blocked' - ha!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.