Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
My old iPad is starting to suffer, it has a Bloch on the screen and it's becoming painfully slow
Also, I recently had to use my iPad for some office work (I was out the country) and it was just a pain!

So I'm thinking, base spec, 11" air would be the ideal replacement

Am I mad?

I do love the iPad for its convenience, battery life and portability
But the current air's seem pretty good at doing what I need

Agggghhh!

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
If you can afford it, I wholeheartedly recommend it. I had several iPads, and while I even prefer them for media consumption, I never managed to be very productive on them.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Do you most need an iPad or a computer? For me, neither could replace the other, as they are totally different things. Despite the 11inch Air being not much bigger than an iPad, I wouldn't use it in all the ways I use iPads.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
They're different devices serving different needs. The Air is a full fledged computer that can do computer-y stuff. The iPad, while it can be used for work, does have its limits. It really depends on what kind of work you need it to do.

The advantage of the iPad over the Air is that it has a much lighter footprint than even the 11" Air, and the battery lasts twice as long. It is also a great tool for client presentation, either on the device itself or using the AV-adaptor to connect to a larger monitor or projector.

When doing work with an iPad, it helps to have a physical keyboard. I bought the Apple BT keyboard precisely to write/code on the iPad2 and it has made life easier. There're times where I don't even need to turn my computers on, working solely through the iPad.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
If you gotta choose between them, it's a no-brainer. Get the Air. ;)

I kind of agree with this. I love my iPad and use it extensively, but if the choice was between the iPad and Air for getting office work done, then definitely the Air.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I had an iPad 3 64 GB with cell and dropped it after 2 to 3 months for a MBA and ave never looked back.

In essence it depends on the usage in that for consuming materials the iPad is great but for creating / tracking information the MBA is much better.

To me the best solution is an iPhone 5 [or like device] + MBA.

northernbaldy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 13, 2010
the north, UK
I know what you say about them being totally different devices
Since buying the iPad, I have hardly switched my old 17" MBP on!

My reasons for considering an air and not just another iPad

1. Sometimes, some websites just don't work on the iPad
2. I sometimes get some finger paid from the onscreen keyboard (I could buy a bt keyboard though)
3. Pages and numbers are good, but sometimes a pain in the arse
4. My old MacBook pro, which is in perfect condition, can't run lion :( so no iCloud integration
5. My mac mini server has no monitor and even if it did, there is nowhere to put it.
6. The wife is never off the pro as its her business machine.
7. Need to buy the camera connection kit again (for lighting)

Reasons for an iPad

1. We have a mac pro a mac mini server and two MacBooks for anything the iPad can't handle.
2. Great for traveling, it can share a charger with our iPhones
3. Cheaper

Weird, it's a really difficult decision

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
After playing with a friend's iPad am less inclined to get one. Somehow holding it with one hand feels tiresome. I know you can pop it up on a table, but then an Air will do nicely there. Seems to me and iPad is good if you spend lots of time on public transit, needs the battery time, and are on-the-go where you need to recall information quickly.

An Air can do most everything, maybe except a few "special" games (I don't do games). The big downside is battery life as said. The Air is so thin it carries like a tablet, specially the 11" I LUV mine.

praktical

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Oklahoma City Oklahoma.
iPad to Air

My old iPad is starting to suffer, it has a Bloch on the screen and it's becoming painfully slow
Also, I recently had to use my iPad for some office work (I was out the country) and it was just a pain!

So I'm thinking, base spec, 11" air would be the ideal replacement

Am I mad?

I do love the iPad for its convenience, battery life and portability
But the current air's seem pretty good at doing what I need

Agggghhh!

It really depends on just how mobile you need to be. And the quality of on the go work you need done. If your allows you to be mobile for let's say 80% of your work day then I'd suggest just upgrading your iPad to the New iPad with maybe the 32GB model and like I said it all depends n your workload. However if you're not on the road that much you might want to consider the MBA.
Taking into consideration your budget you would not want to overspend on a device you will never fully utilize but rather on something you'll get your money's worth.
I hope I was able to help.

JohnLT13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
Boston (aka Red Sox Nation)
I recently purchased the MBA 11" 4/128/i5
My iPad is now collecting dust. I just feel i get more done on the MBA.
Just wish I got the 8/128 /i7 instead. I use iLife quite a bit, it lags slightly.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I agree they are different products for different tasks. Office work is definitely better on a MacBook Air. However, you lose the ability to run iOS apps. Perhaps consider a base 11" MBA, and a base iPad Mini. Combined, it would weigh less than the 13" MBA and serve all your computing needs.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
I was in a similar situation over the summer, and I wound up going with an MBA, albeit the 13" model. No regrets. The iPad is good for consuming content but horrible for creating it unless you enjoy typing on glass.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have the 11" MBA and combined that with an iPad mini - they're a great combination for me, highly complementary, highly recommended duo.

I had that combo until about 3 weeks ago when I lost my MacBook Air at an airport. :( Fortunately it was insured and I had Find My Mac turned on so it erased itself (and all my personal data) the first time whoever found it at the airport 2 days later (and didn't turn it in :mad:) turned it on and it detected the airport Wi-Fi. I decided to use the insurance proceeds and a few hundred extra dollars to step up to the 13" Retina MacBook Pro. I'm still getting used to the weight, but the Retina Display is really nice. Now I can't wait for the iPad mini to get a Retina Display.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I know it's probably sacrilege to post about this outside of the Alternatives to iOS forum, but have you considered the Nexus 10? You'll get the portability of the iPad and (especially when used with a keyboard and mouse) the productivity of the MBA - well as close as you can get with a non-Windows tablet.

My brother uses his Nexus 7 with this keyboard/mouse combo for school notes and papers. Since it has a microUSB port, you can get one of these and use just about any USB peripheral with it.

If you're not afraid to try something new (Android), I'd definitely recommend it.

RoadCyclistID

Contributor
Oct 18, 2007
Idaho
All I can say is since I picked up my new MBA my IPAD has seen very little if any work. I sold my 3 year old MBP and now I only see my MBA getting any use for work and surfing. I would say go with whatever you think you would use more, but I dont see me going back to the IPAD anytime soon. Anyone looking to buy a 16GB 3G AT&T iPad?:D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I know it's probably sacrilege to post about this outside of the Alternatives to iOS forum, but have you considered the Nexus 10? You'll get the portability of the iPad and (especially when used with a keyboard and mouse) the productivity of the MBA - well as close as you can get with a non-Windows tablet. .

I'd say the upcoming Surface Pro is the closest yet to a single "do it all" device. However the 2 lb weight is the biggest turnoff for me. My 3rd Gen iPad feels heavy compared to my iPad Mini.

I think that in the future, the iPad Mini will be the more popular version. It's the right size for reading a book or newspaper on the subway, doing casual gaming or web browsing, or reading e-mail. The Surface (Pro or otherwise) is a little to big to be a decent tablet, and too small to be a decent notebook. I see a future where we have MacBook Airs or Ultrabooks, and 7-8" tablets. Two devices for two needs, but with some overlap.

Sakuraba

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
MBA 11' is perfect!

I struggled myself between MBA 13' and 11'. I am so glad I choose 11'!

I promise you - You will not regret going from iPad to MBA 11'.

Actually, in bed for instance MBA 11' wins easily.

Only time I use my iPad (mini) is when I follow my wife to some shopping mall or visits hospital or other places were I have to sit and wait for a considerable amount of time.

If you have tried to work on your iPad - after the switch, you will wonder how you could have the patience to do any kind of work on an iPad.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I'd say the upcoming Surface Pro is the closest yet to a single "do it all" device.

Definitely. Just a shame it comes with Windows 8. :p

I think that in the future, the iPad Mini will be the more popular version. It's the right size for reading a book or newspaper on the subway, doing casual gaming or web browsing, or reading e-mail. The Surface (Pro or otherwise) is a little to big to be a decent tablet, and too small to be a decent notebook. I see a future where we have MacBook Airs or Ultrabooks, and 7-8" tablets. Two devices for two needs, but with some overlap.

I'd love to see a full fledged OS X tablet - maybe to replace the 9.7" iPad and fill in the gap between the iPad mini and retina MBP/MBA, but I doubt we'll see this anytime soon (if ever). I could easily get by with just a Surface Pro-esque device for my mobile use and a desktop or docking station at home.

yourtoys7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2007
11" feels too small at times, but very portable. Before September school starts I think I'll get 13" and iPad mini.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I can get by with an iPad for many things. Especially with the Logitech Ultrathin, but there are many occasions where the power of the MBA, screen estate and keyboard size is greatly appreciated.

The 11" is nice, but I prefer the 13"...the 13" MBA is actually the first Mac I ever purchased.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
The moment you need to actually be productive an Air trumps an Ipad. Ipads have their place but if you have to produce output, you need a computer. The 11" Air is what you want for ultimate portability, but you may be happier with the 13" Air for it's longer battery life, better resolution and other expanded features. I had a 11" and loved it well enough, but if I had it to do over again I think I'd get the 13", mainly for the battery life. I ran down the Air to close to nothing too often.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I have the 11" MBA and combined that with an iPad mini - they're a great combination for me, highly complementary, highly recommended duo.

I agree based on my personal experience.

Yet if you're only interested in one, I'd buy the MBA without hesitation. There's a full keyboard, a full OS with a file system, and it's still feather light & a fully functional computer.

Frankly I can't image only having an iPad. Even if one has a desktop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.