Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I've noticed after a month or so of having the iPhone 5 that when the phone rings it drops LTE and switches to "4G" ...this is fine no problem there. The problem seems to be that after hanging up the call or sending it to voicemail it won't auto switch back to LTE...I have to manually turn off LTE in settings then turn it back on to get back on LTE. Anyone else notice this? Also another problem I've noticed which has been around since the 3GS is when on a conference call that I've initiated I don't have access to touch tone menus and the other person on the call with me has to press the buttons when prompted.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Mine initially did the same thing unless I chose something on the phone that uses data. I just got a new sim card and the problem was fixed.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Sometimes it can take about 30 seconds to switch back to LTE. If you use data on 4G before it switches back, it will stay on 4G until you done using data.

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
Hmm. Post #3 seems to suggest that the phone staying in 4G for some time is abnormal, and remedied by a SIM swap. Post #4 seems to suggest that this behavior is normal. Which is it?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Hmm. Post #3 seems to suggest that the phone staying in 4G for some time is abnormal, and remedied by a SIM swap. Post #4 seems to suggest that this behavior is normal. Which is it?

It's normal if it eventually switches back to LTE. If it never switches back then it is a problem. If it is taking more than 20-30 seconds after the call with no phone usage then it is probably a problem.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The switching is normal. And mine also takes a while to go back to LTE, but it does eventually.

As far as I'm concerned, all LTE offers is faster consumption of data and poorer battery life.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
The switching is normal. And mine also takes a while to go back to LTE, but it does eventually.

As far as I'm concerned, all LTE offers is faster consumption of data and poorer battery life.

Not really faster consumption. You just get the results sooner

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Not really faster consumption. You just get the results sooner

Depends on what you're going.

For example, when I watch Netflix, I find it will be better quality when streaming on LTE vs streaming on HSPA. In turn more data is used to stream the same movie.

NC12309

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Weird...on my Galaxy Nexus is stays on LTE at all times. Even when taking a phone call.

NC12309

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
It's not actually placing or receiving the call over LTE though.

I understand that, but if I'm in a call and need to browse the internet for something...it's still on LTE...you're telling me the iPhone goes off LTE when in a call?

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
Ok I've noticed now that it will eventually switch back to LTE it just takes a long time, perhaps a minute or more (long time...lol) what about the touch tone bug? Anyone experience that?

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I understand that, but if I'm in a call and need to browse the internet for something...it's still on LTE...you're telling me the iPhone goes off LTE when in a call?

iPhone only has 1 cell radio chip, so when it takes a call it has to be on 3G/4G. Your phone must have 2 separate radios in it.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Ok I've noticed now that it will eventually switch back to LTE it just takes a long time, perhaps a minute or more (long time...lol) what about the touch tone bug? Anyone experience that?

I don't have LTE at home so I never noticed this switching. But today I travelled to a city that has LTE and I paid attention to what the phone does when a call is made.

Sure enough, my iPhone switched from LTE to 3G as soon as I dialed out. But as soon as I end the call it switched back to LTE, it didn't even take more than 1-2 seconds to switch back. Tried that 4 or 5 times and it was the same.

Having said that I'm not sure if this is phone hardware related or carrier/sim card related. It may just be the carrier's system that determines when to switch back and forth. Just a guess on my part of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.