Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
BearExtender

I use the BearExtender to make the connection to the Hotel Network and then use the built in wifi to create my own local network for all of my devices. iPads, iPhones etc. Have not used my AppleTV but it should work as well.

Also, the BearExtender is much better at making the connection to the hotel wifi which is normally not that close.

Also, more and more the hotels want to charge for each device which I feel is pretty crazy. I guess they don't want you share with other traveling companions.

http://store.bearextender.com

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Ethernet Port

When you see the 'holiday ip info', it only means that you have successfully connected to WiFi. There is often a 2nd step required, such as accepting ToS for free wifi. This cannot be completed on the ATV itself, as there is no browser.

Paradoxically, if the WiFi is protected, ie a password is required to get the ip connection, you are more likely to get this working, as in some cases a ToS page may not exist.

When the ATV shows only Computers & Settings, this confirms you do not have a working Internet connection.

Go to Settings/General/Network and select 'Test Network'. This will attempt to connect to the Apple Servers and may give useful information.

Try connecting another device (iPad or computer) to the same WiFi network. Check what steps are required, before you can reach your chosen web page (do not choose google.com, as some hotels permit this without authentication or payment). If there is a Welcome page, with 'click to continue' or similar, your simple option for the ATV is not available.

The 2nd simple option is to get an Airport Express, for hotels that have a wired connection. The ATV always connects to the same WiFi (yours), so does your iPad & computer. The Internet connection is passed through the Express, but accepted (once only) on your computer browser. All devices then have Internet access.

Beyond that, there are solutions, but none simple, for anyone wanting to go further:
1) mac spoofing
2) 'Wireless as WAN' routers
3) Hotel provides you a wireless bridge (with a hefty deposit) for your Express

OK. On the back of the ATV, there is an ethernet port. Is it silly to think I can just "hard wire" from that and have internet connection, or does the lack of no internet browser (I assume I know the answer already) heed me from getting internet even though it's hard wired?

In doing some research, I am finding a lot of the Holiday Inns have an ethernet port in the lamps on desks? Weird!! So far, ethernet in some form seems to be the direction to go. I don't mind spending the extra $99.00 on an airport if it frees up my laptop so I could use it as well, whilst still having great internet connection with no buffering?? I am assuming it would be a great connection being right in the room?

I am trying to NOT tie up my Pro or iPhone while doing any of this. I like to multitask while watching shows.

Can it be explained what an HDMI Dongle does as well and how it would be executed, again, without using up my other devices so I can multitask?

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It can be physical Ethernet and still give you terrible performance, or require you to accept their policies on a web page via browser before you gain access.

While it's true that a wired connection avoids many potential wireless issues, they could still have a terrible network or share a small amount of bandwidth between all of the rooms.

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
ATV/Airplay Option

Is it only Home Sharing & NetFlix missing, or are these your only concerns?

Have you confirmed that you have Internet access for the ATV (under Settings).

Are you running a router (such as Airport Express) in the hotel, creating your own private wi-fi, or connecting directly to the hotel's wif-fi?

1. An ATV (version 2 or 3, with current firmware) with no Internet connection will display 'Computers' & 'Settings' only, so plenty more will be missing.

2. Although connected to the hotel's wi-fi, if the device is not authenticated, you will not have working Internet. Payment, authentication and/or accepting ToS cannot be completed on the ATV.

3. If you are connecting your ATV to a personal router, and have confirmed internet access on the other devices, try a Restart from the Settings menu.

Otherwise, as stated by the previous poster...

Good luck.

Plain and simple, if I spend the hondo on an Airport and could find an ethernet jack in the room somewhere, what are the step-by-steps to get my ATV up and running?

Keep in mind, I'm trying NOT to have to utilize my pro the whole time or be bounded by a cord and ethernet jack(s)?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Plain and simple, if I spend the hondo on an Airport and could find an ethernet jack in the room somewhere, what are the step-by-steps to get my ATV up and running?

Keep in mind, I'm trying NOT to have to utilize my pro the whole time or be bounded by a cord and ethernet jack(s)?
If you are required to use a browser to activate your connection (ethernet or wifi) then you will NOT be able to use the AppleTV without sharing an internet connection with another device. The AppleTV does not have a browser to activate the connection with. Sharing an internet connection on your MacBook is very little overhead on the MacBook.

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Step by step

If you are required to use a browser to activate your connection (ethernet or wifi) then you will NOT be able to use the AppleTV without sharing an internet connection with another device. The AppleTV does not have a browser to activate the connection with. Sharing an internet connection on your MacBook is very little overhead on the MacBook.

OK, step by step, how do I "share" the wi-fi so my ATV works, assuming I have access to an ethernet port?

System Prefs, Internet Sharing, ??

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Plug your Ethernet port ( Mac) to the Apple TV one

Go to Internet sharing on Mac

Share from wifi to Ethernet

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Bounded by cords

Plug your Ethernet port ( Mac) to the Apple TV one

Go to Internet sharing on Mac

Share from wifi to Ethernet

Sounds easy enough. Just hate being bounded by a cord and the thought of burning through m computer battery for hours is kind of inhibiting. Would the airport express eliminate my computer being hogged up or bogged down?

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
You will still need to identify yourself,on the kinda hotel website

So nope you need your pc

----------

Unless you have an iPhone or 3G/lte iPad with a big bandwidth and share your connection

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
OK, step by step, how do I "share" the wi-fi so my ATV works, assuming I have access to an ethernet port?

System Prefs, Internet Sharing, ??
You can google "How to share my wifi on a mac" or something like that.

I found this youtube video pretty quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quQ6S4Chi3U

If the hotel does not have Ethernet then you would need something like what I am doing with the "second" wifi adapter. BearExtender. See my other post.

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Do I need Airport Express

You will still need to identify yourself,on the kinda hotel website

So nope you need your pc

----------

Unless you have an iPhone or 3G/lte iPad with a big bandwidth and share your connection

By these definitions, what benefits would I have with buying an Airport Express? If I am sharing from my Pro, do I even need the AE?

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
The real use for the AE is

1) Extend your WIFI nextwork
2) Put a non WIFI PC on the network

(Put the AE in the AC then configure on thw WIFI then plug your Ethernet PC into the AE)

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013

(Put the AE in the AC then configure on thw WIFI then plug your Ethernet PC into the AE)

So if I have good wi-fi (which I usually do), I don't need the Airport Express at all?

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Not really

PS you can use it as a home router too (less config then Extreme version)

OH I forgot something else.

and this is why I carry one

Exemple you go to a hotel without WIFI and you want your IPAD (exemple on the internet

plug the AE in the AC then the ethernet cable of your AE into the network plug in your hotel room then connect your IPAd WIFI to the AE

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Airport Express, will it enhance wi-fi?

OK, so I went to two Holiday Inns and ran directly from the wall/lamp Ethernet and "bodda-bing," the internet worked with the ATV with no password needed. Problem is, it was a crappy internet connection and streaming was impossible at those speeds. Would buying an Airport Express allow for a better internet connection? Does it serve as a sort of "closer source of a router for internet" or am I just so close to a solution and can't go any further. I am finally optimistic we are getting closer guys......

Last edited:

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
There's nothing you can do about hotel slow internet

Thats a setting in their router (or what they paid with the ISP)

If you want a faster internet you need to

1) Steal an unprotected WIFI
2) Have like an iphone 4/4s/5 with possibility to tether and activate the personal hotspot then connect your Apple TV to the iPhone (but it will use your iphone data plan)

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
I would try to load up your macbook or idevice with movies or shows. Most hotel connections are for basic browsing so expecting to stream from them will lead to disappointment. Since your trips are scheduled seems like loading up your devices is the only way to beat the boredom.

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Netflix used to work on my phone

I would try to load up your macbook or idevice with movies or shows. Most hotel connections are for basic browsing so expecting to stream from them will lead to disappointment. Since your trips are scheduled seems like loading up your devices is the only way to beat the boredom.

I used to use the AV component cables on my iphone 4 with no buffering problems but with crummy pixelation and quality. I know it used to be a good stream with wi-fi. I just want to enhance the picture and not tie up my phone (or computer so I can multitask for that matter), having the same wi-fi speeds I used to..... only this time utilizing the ethernet as that seems to be the only way around the browser authentication.

Does that make sense?

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
What he mean is you can exemple make a folder movies on a laptop and share it

Then on the Apple TV connect it to the same WIFI As the laptop and access that share (itunes home sharing mostly) and stream it there

And you can use your laptop to browse at same time

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Just wanting netflix

What he mean is you can exemple make a folder movies on a laptop and share it

Then on the Apple TV connect it to the same WIFI As the laptop and access that share (itunes home sharing mostly) and stream it there

And you can use your laptop to browse at same time

I see what you are saying. I just want to utilize Netflix and Hulu plus mostly.

I could create that folder and load up my pro but don't want to watch the same movies I have already watched.

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
If you want Netflix then like I said

2) Have like an iphone 4/4s/5 with possibility to tether and activate the personal hotspot then connect your Apple TV to the iPhone (but it will use your iphone data plan)

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Why fast on one but not the other?

If you want Netflix then like I said

Why would it be slow connection coming directly hard-wired on the ethernet from the wall and fast as all get out via wi-fi? It seems like it would be the opposite if anything. Is there not a solution to this?

I thought if I hard-wired in, did not need authentication and received internet on the ATV, it should be golden?

Ratatapa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2011
Gosh i'm not good to explain stuff lol

Lets try this

Internet ---- Hotel Router ---- Switch ----- Ehternet to the room or WIFI

From the Hotel Router, they can limit how much bandwidth they wanna limit

Usually they let like 0.4-1mb they let though per room, because if they unlock the full speed 1 room can start downloading or torrenting or w/e and congestion the whole internet speed. So they usually limit the speed you can use

Same for Wifi

The reason i'm talking about 'stealing wifi' is some home people don'T block their WIFI with a password, and usually home users don't block or don't know how to limit the speed, so if you connect from an unprotected WIFI (that is not the hotel WIFI) you can get more speed

Lets hope i understood your question

Also normally the WIFI from the hotel requires autentication to connect to the WIFI then an autentication on that 'Browser' thing to access the web

The 2nd autentication thing is the same on wired ethenet normally

thebdpm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
No authentication required this time

Gosh i'm not good to explain stuff lol

Lets try this

Internet ---- Hotel Router ---- Switch ----- Ehternet to the room or WIFI

From the Hotel Router, they can limit how much bandwidth they wanna limit

Usually they let like 0.4-1mb they let though per room, because if they unlock the full speed 1 room can start downloading or torrenting or w/e and congestion the whole internet speed. So they usually limit the speed you can use

Same for Wifi

The reason i'm talking about 'stealing wifi' is some home people don'T block their WIFI with a password, and usually home users don't block or don't know how to limit the speed, so if you connect from an unprotected WIFI (that is not the hotel WIFI) you can get more speed

Lets hope i understood your question

Also normally the WIFI from the hotel requires autentication to connect to the WIFI then an autentication on that 'Browser' thing to access the web

The 2nd autentication thing is the same on wired ethenet normally

These last two times out, there was no authentication required when I hard-wired in via ethernet.....just tremendously slow streaming/buffering. Plugged ATV in via ethernet and all the icons I had never seen before came up, assuring me I was, if fact, finally on the net.

I would try and have "the desk person" allow me more bandwidth but this is not an option. They are not trying to do anything extra at 11pm when I show up for check in. Matter of fact, I'm sure they are more clueless than me....if that's possible? Lol

I can't "steal" from a local network. I lot of times I am off an interstate or in a business district where ALL wi-fi is pass protected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.