Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sireno87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
I have two pdf files I would like to combine together and then export as one file. Using Preview I can view both documents, but I don't know how to save or export as a single file. How can I do this? Thanks.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Preview is a viewer with some editing functions. Acrobat Pro is an editor. To combine PDF files, I always use Acrobat Pro.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Combine PDF documents in Preview

I have two pdf files I would like to combine together and then export as one file. Using Preview I can view both documents, but I don't know how to save or export as a single file. How can I do this? Thanks.
Preview is great for combining PDF documents.

1. Open the first file in Preview
  2. Click to show the Sidebar, if it isn't already showing
  3. Drag the 2nd PDF file onto the Sidebar in the position you want
  4. Click on pages in the Sidebar and drag to rearrange or use delete key to delete pages as needed
  5. Click in the Sidebar and Command-A to select all remaining pages
  6. File > Print Selected Pages
  7. In the lower left corner of the print dialog box, select PDF > Save as PDF
  8. Select a location and name for your new document and save it
  9. Done!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Just follow this to make an Automator service to combine PDFs. Once this service is setup, you can just select multiple PDFs, then right click and select the "Combine PDFs" option shown in my screenshot. It will create a new combined PDF on the desktop.

Much faster and easier than using Preview.

S13na.png

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Much faster and easier than using Preview.
I definitely agree that using Automator for many tasks is faster and easier. However, it doesn't provide the functionality in steps 3 and 4 of the posted instructions. That may or may not be a disadvantage for some uses.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I definitely agree that using Automator for many tasks is faster and easier. However, it doesn't provide the functionality in steps 3 and 4 of the posted instructions. That may or may not be a disadvantage for some uses.

The Automator service will sort them based on name, so if there is a particular order desired one can rename the files to make that happen.

Sireno87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Great. I used the Automater for the first time ever and followed the tutorial provided. It worked like a wonder, thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.