Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Hey!
I was wondering if I could use a wireless dongle on my Power Mac G5 since I cannot install a built in airport card because I have the late 2005 model. Can I use any dongle? Or is there a specific type of dongle? Or does the Power Mac G5 not allow dongles? It would help if someone could give me an EBay (UK) link with a dongle that is compatible with the Power Mac G5.
(A dongle looks like a USB stick, but instead of being used for storage it allows a Wired computer to accept Wireless signals)

Thanks!

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
You can use dongle but of course you must get one which has OS X support, for the version you are using. I have used Tenda W311u with OS X 10.4 and 10.5, it worked fine but the application you use to control the dongle looked like crap, that was/is the only complain with that dongle.

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
You can put in Airport.

As for dongles-
as Zotaccian said, has to have OS X compatibility. I also have a wreless dongle for a G5, and it works fine, but the application is horrible. It does not live in the menu bar like Airport, it is a standalone application in the dock. The UI is terrible.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Hey!
I was wondering if I could use a wireless dongle on my Power Mac G5 since I cannot install a built in airport card because I have the late 2005 model. Can I use any dongle? Or is there a specific type of dongle? Or does the Power Mac G5 not allow dongles? It would help if someone could give me an EBay (UK) link with a dongle that is compatible with the Power Mac G5.
(A dongle looks like a USB stick, but instead of being used for storage it allows a Wired computer to accept Wireless signals)

Thanks!

I've posted this here before, but it may be helpful for you.

When my AirPort Extreme card crapped out I replaced it with a USB dongle. After a short time I learned that I noticed I wasn't getting a very strong or reliable signal, not so much at home, but most especially when I was out. I then bought a USB WiFi signal booster, and it's worked beautifully wherever I go with my iBook. Most of the ones I looked at were OS X compatible, but I needed to download the driver based on the chip (Ralink 3070) rather than on the name or serial number of the item. The interface is fine and, as above, everything works well.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Nice substitute for the original G5 airport/bt combo card... but I don't trust things from Hong Kong. Had bad experiences with sellers who sold stuff on ebay from there. I avoid Hong Kong like the plague!

Anyway, would this work in a G5 Quad?

Also, that's generally an unfair generalization of international sellers. You get what you pay for, and should do some research into what you might be getting when you buy anything off eBay, especially from HK and CN sellers. I've had nothing but good experiences from international bulk eBay sellers, better than domestic individual sellers who frequently misrepresent items or damage.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
I don't trust things from Hong Kong... I avoid Hong Kong like the plague!?

Yeah cannot buy from Hong Kong, full of scammers like this:

http://www.apple.com/hk/en/retail/ifcmall/

:rolleyes:

Most of the time when I buy something from eBay it's from a Chinese seller and very rarely I've had problems. Cheap product is sometimes really a cheap product, but for example USB WLAN dongles have worked well, even the cheapest ones. You will of course buy one which has support for your Os, that's all.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Could somebody send me a UK Ebay link of a dongle that works with my Power Mac G5? And even though it might say 'for mac' on the package that could mean only an intel mac...
So if you use one (apparently a lot of people here do) and it works with your PPC Mac and has a good signal and looks decent could you send me a United Kingdom EBay link for it?
Thanks very much!

StUPoT

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
I have a dongle that works with my G5 it's a netgear WG111v2 and works fine and was dirt cheap on ebay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.