Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
I have read many forums and searched the internet, but I can't find someone with the same issue. I have a 2011 mac mini 2.3ghz 8gb ram connected to my yamaha rx-v373 via hdmi. Then yamaha receiver to 65 panasonic viera plasma tv via hdmi. In system preferences and midi audio it only shows the panasonic tv as the sound output option. The sound still goes through my receiver as pcm not dolby didgital or dts. When I use PLEX or VLC I can get DTS because of the audio setting in these media players.

I did see one post about switching the yamaha receiver to only output audio through the receiver. I did that and it did not fix the issue.

How do I get the mac mini to recognize my receiver?

Thanks

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
The HDMI is an Audio OUT on the Mac Mini. This means you have to connect the HDMI to Receiver's HDMI IN. The use one the HDMI OUTS to you TV. Then in system Preferences->Sound, OUTPUT mini-tab select the HDMI sound out.

Is This the way your are setup?

Steve1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
I have it set up as you described but the tv shows as the hdmi option

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 348

Steve1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
It isconnected to the correct HDMI port. It plays Dts when I use plex or vlc

arkeo

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Mac Mini 2012 Doesn't See Receiver

I have the same issue while going back and forth to Apple and my receiver (New Pioneer Elite SC-61) company- There is no fix at this point. Pioneeer has no idea -
My Mac doesn't even show an HDMI output in settings/audio.

I took all my components into apple accept the Projector that the amp is connected to without any resolution. All we could find out is that when the mac mini is connected to the amp and the amp is connected to a non speaker devise like a projector- the Mac Mini doesn't see the audio. Only video.

I now have brick of Receiver.
I am hoping I can now use the thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and pray that the amp sees the audio signal sent to the amp via the mac mini. If that doesn't work? I am going to install a VM Fusion 5.0 on my Mac and run my HTPC (PLEX) via the VM and hope that works.

Steve1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
Let me know if that works. I just got a free house call from the Geek Squad. I am going to take them up on it and see if they find anything.

I just really want to see my receiver in audio out. Like I said before, the receiver plays dts/dolby digital when playing movies in plex.

Ajarjay

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2012
I have the same issue while going back and forth to Apple and my receiver (New Pioneer Elite SC-61) company- There is no fix at this point. Pioneeer has no idea -
My Mac doesn't even show an HDMI output in settings/audio.

I took all my components into apple accept the Projector that the amp is connected to without any resolution. All we could find out is that when the mac mini is connected to the amp and the amp is connected to a non speaker devise like a projector- the Mac Mini doesn't see the audio. Only video.

I now have brick of Receiver.
I am hoping I can now use the thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and pray that the amp sees the audio signal sent to the amp via the mac mini. If that doesn't work? I am going to install a VM Fusion 5.0 on my Mac and run my HTPC (PLEX) via the VM and hope that works.

Same problem. I previously had a Pioneer VSX-1121. Just bought a new Pioneer SC-1222. 2011 imac with Moshi Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter with audio support. Had no problem using with the VSX-1121. With the new SC-1222, the iMac does not detect the HDMI audio output in the audio preferences. Video transmits perfectly with no problems. What's really funny is I thought both the VSX-1121 and the SC-1222 had the same video processor, Marvell QDEO, or something like that. Neither Apple or Pioneer want to take responsibility for this. The receiver works fine with everything else. The iMac works fine with everything else. They just don't work together. I am inclined to blame the receiver because the last one worked fine and this one does not, but if it is the receivers fault, why does it work fine with my Xbox, Playstation, Wii, DVD player, Blu-ray player, etc? Also attempted to use the receiver with the HDMI output of a friends 2011 Mac mini. Same problem. Frustrating.

nzrhan

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
New Zealand
Any update?

Did anybody manage to get a resolution to this issue?

I have a new Pioneer SC-LX86, trying to connect to a Mac Mini via HDMI and seeing the exact same symptoms - i.e. video works fine but no audio device is available.

In the meantime I've fallen back to connecting an Apple TV, but would be great to get the Mac Mini working.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Steve1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2012
No Luck

I have accepted that it is my receiver. It plays DTS or Dolby Digital. It just won't recognize it in settings.

The more upsetting part is I learned that OS X won't play DTS-HD.

Spinnetti

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2005
Kentucky
Oh I had this... you have to set up in the "midi" control panel (separate app in utilities) of all crazy places. I have a couple year old Pioneer elite rx and was using a 2010 mac mini in a single daisy chain.. Mac to rx, rx to tv. that's it. Works fine after some messing around and hair pulling, and audio is over HDMI... Only issue I have (which drives me nuts) with both the mini and using the Apple TV (Gen I) that I replaced it with is that when I power them up, the rx defaults to "tv" even though I don't even have cable. I want to have it only default to the mini/Apple TV, but no luck so far, even if the apple tv is running first, then the tv and the rx last (matters because the rx is hidden away and I can't see the display so have to go in the cabinet every time.... still a ways to go before this stuff "just works" eh?

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
Has anyone tried one of these, Gefen HDMI Detective Plus, to fix their audio issues?

Many of the reviews seem to indicate it has fixed Mac mini HTPC-related issues. $80 is a difficult bite for what might be fixed with an optical cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.