Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMH3006

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
I see people complaining about the lack of inovation from the 4->4S->5 but what exactly did Samsung change from the S2 to the S3?
Increased the size of the phone,so did apple(sure they distributed the 0.5 inch more in a better way),faster internals,so did apple,redesigned the front and back of it but hey so did apple,I don't see why people claim that Apple hasn't innovated when Samsung did just the same Apple did.

binky777

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008

You are out of luck then because those two companies offer the best in mobile. Apple is out of its league and can't stay on the same field with Samsung and Google. They were a bully and picked a fight they can't win.

Samsung stole Apple's IP, but Apple is the bully here? Apple picked a fight?

Last edited by a moderator:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
This worries me a little...

I see this as very good news. No one leads forever. Sooner or later the demand begins to fade, the users get bored & are eager for something new.

Why good news? Because Apple isn't the perfect company many people believe, a good kick in the ass will do wonders if Apple pays attention to it.

Mercedes & BMW cars got pretty stale until Lexus & Acura came into the picture. Suddenly those two woke up and re-engineered their entire lineups.

My hope is that Apple takes notice, avoids denial & returns to what they do best. Focus on two key areas instead of just one. While some new products have been created in the last 18 months, it seems their main focus was solely on profits. If they place equal focus on world class products & profits, I'm certain they can achieve both.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Are you serious? What's so innovative about the Galaxy S3? Having a big screen to hide your other shortcomings doesn't make something great or innovative. There is NOTHING appealing to me about that phone. It is too big to fit into my pocket, and too big to hold comfortably. On top of that, it is plastic, like the iPhone 3GS back in 2009.
Wow...you are either a toddler, or your clothes look really weird on you! The dumbest argument out there is that the GS3 won't fit in your pocket! I carry the Note 2 and while, admittedly, it's big, it fits just fine in my pants pocket.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
We'll see a week from Wednesday, I guess. I'm a little suspicious, though the WSJ usually doesn't report shoddy news. The 5 was actually a massive upgrade, considering that LTE is a big deal. But if Samsung struck a nerve with the "bigger is better" theme then perhaps Apple will be forced to dumb its devices down to public demand. I hope not.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Keep in mind that over 70% of Apple stock is held by institutions aka Big Banks and Funds. That 70+% of Apple stock is in the hands of a few hundred people who get paid on quarterly and yearly bonuses. None of them hare holding for long term growth.

Also, they likely have "analysts" on the payroll who will suggest stuff like "short AAPL" and then put some crap like this out, to cash in on it.

sfjava

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
You obviously haven't used a Samsung phone...there's nothing cheap about it. Whether you like it or not, the screen is of tremendous quality and it's a much better device in just about every conceivable way.

Like I said earlier, I'm an Apple fan, but there's no more denying that the iPhone is no longer a leading product. It is plum weak compared to its competitors.

I find gsiii cheap, can't stand holding plastic bar and looking at its color distortion screen. I bought 6 iphone 5 unlock and gave them to my family members for christmas. :D

binky777

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008

Apple could make the same level of quality they do now and sell it cheaper. They don't lead marketshare but they do lead in profits, and by a fair margin. It doesn't take a genius to work out that Apple's iPhone markup is more than it needs to be.

So Apple needs to ask itself, does it want to be relegated to a tiny niche market again, or does it want to fight back with a more competitively priced product?? I hope it's the latter. I have no time for this elitist snobbery that associates with certain brands. I'd like to see a more competitively priced iPhone.

I am slowly starting to move in this direction. I remember when Apple started slashing the pricing of the iMacs a hundred dollars or so with every new iteration. That made it VERY competitive with PC offerings.

Cook could do the same thing here.

asonnenb

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
I'm sure I could dig up more, but surely you see the pattern here w/ $AAPL news:

11/9/2011: "UH-OH: Apple Said To Cut Orders To Asia Suppliers On iPhone 4S Problems"
http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-cutting-orders-to-asia-supply-chain-2011-11#ixzz2HvFUFW4i

1/24/2012: "Apple Delivers Blowout Earnings On The Back Of Mammoth-Sized iPhone Sales"
http://www.businessinsider.com/live-apple-earnings-2012-1#ixzz2HvEwoMPt

12/14/2012: "Apple Drastically Cut Its iPhone Orders For Next Quarter" http://www.businessinsider.com/appl...orders-for-next-quarter-2012-12#ixzz2HvChxBFg

1/3/2013 "Wait, Is This The REAL Reason Apple Cut Its iPhone 5 Orders?" http://www.businessinsider.com/the-real-reason-apple-cut-its-iphone-5-orders-2013-1

1/13/2012: "WSJ: Demand For The iPhone Is Weak And Apple's Cutting Orders"
http://www.businessinsider.com/wsj-demand-for-the-iphone-is-weak-2013-1#ixzz2HvD6Qxtr

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
which is why I think apple should demo iOS 7 in March like they were doing back then up to iOS 4.

I agree, announcing it in WWDC in June and then releasing it in Sep/Oct makes it loose some hype.

April - iOS 7 Developer Preview
June (WWDC) - iPhone 5S and iOS 7 release

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2010
Lte

Apple was really late to the LTE game; it's my belief that this hurt them with customers who may have picked an Android device instead of a 4S. The real tell will be when those customers are up for 2 year renewal.

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
I see people complaining about the lack of inovation from the 4->4S->5 but what exactly did Samsung change from the S2 to the S3?
Increased the size of the phone,so did apple(sure they distributed the 0.5 inch more in a better way),faster internals,so did apple,redesigned the front and back of it but hey so did apple,I don't see why people claim that Apple hasn't innovated when Samsung did just the same Apple did.

That's exactly I don't understand, I recall when 4S came out and android friend of mine said its same as 4 they only increase the speed and camera and added Siri. I asked him what else you wanted? He was mum.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
I think there are multiple factors that's causing this..

1. all the production problems (scratches out of the box) gave people the perception that apple is not doing enough quality control

2. Apple genius refusing to exchange problematic iPhone 5, or giving customers a hard time doing it

3. iPhone 5 doesnt have any 'must-have' feature to distinguish itself from its predecessor (4S) besides a marginally larger screen.

4. iOS 6, biggest piece of **** made by apple

5. Apple's stock apps in iOS are garbage compared to all the third-party alternatives, so people can purchase an android device and download those third-party apps to get the same experience.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2010
Also: my wife and I are both locked in with our 4's until next month; we made a decision to jump to VZW late in the game, locking us in with a yer old device since June of 11

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Firstly, Android devices are flooding the market....

Don't you mean that "Android devices are flying off the shelves like hotcakes!" ?

Manufacturers wouldn't be making Android devices if they weren't selling - even on an Apple forum you're allowed to exercise common sense.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I think apple needs to wake up and understand that a lot of people are waiting for iOS to grow up. Also offering a larger screen in addition to their current offerings. I get the desire to keep things simple. But they underestimate a good chunk of their users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.