Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I don't get it. The 5 was a much bigger update than the 4S, which was basically just a processor refresh. The 5 gave us LTE, a bigger screen, a new design, and better battery life, all in a lighter package.

all in a lighter package that looks a little too similar to the 4/4S. You're right about the big update...internally. If the numbers are weak, the design and iOS will be the culprits. We'll need more more data to make a definite conclusion here. So far, all we have are opinions (including mine own) and a WSJ article.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Samsungs been making phones for decades longer than apple. In fact they have been making smartphones for much longer too.

Nokia was the first. Smartphones were a side business for Samsung until 2010. They lucked out because Nokia decided to Osborne their smartphone business by announcing a switch to Windows Phone 2 years before it was ready for prime time.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Apple is AB... SO... LUTE... LY... fine.

And you'll see JUST how fine they are come the 23rd of this month.

News like this adds just the right emotional angle to help weed out the weak short term investors.

:D

I don't know, a year ago I would agree with you. Now I'm not so sure. People said the same before the past two quarters and the stock took a beating instead. Plus, if the stock tanks on this news, (and I think it will, $475 tomorrow will not surprise me), even if Apple reports good earnings, they're in a deep hole, most of the spike coming off earnings will be used up just to dig them out of them hole, not make gains.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Compete directly with the Galaxy SIV.

Which will bring what? A bigger screen? A faster quad core processor (not that there is much that actually uses all that power)? And maybe a GPU that catches up to the 4S?

akbarali.ch

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2011
Mumbai (India)
Nothing cheap about it? The pentile screen, the plastic case, the bulky and thick design, the slow graphics. Should I continue? No? So go to spread your crap somewhere else. There is nothing inventive in a Samsung phone, the galaxy s 3 is just a bigger galaxy s 2. Nothing else.

Android phones have nothing interesting besides being unbalanced products. Those 1080 screens are just marketing as all those phones have terrible battery performance and terrible performance in graphics. You like the iPhone or not, you can't deny that it's a great balanced phone which has the right screen size, performances and battery life which fit a thin and light design. Those giant android phones are stupid, just stupid bricks.

And for this WSJ report, this is BS because it says nothing? As long as they don't say by how much the part orders have been decreasing, their report says nothing. And the WSJ has been spreading fud on Apple for a while now.

Most of my friends have either Android or Symbian based Nokia. Whenever I try to MSG them on Whatsapp they don't reply. I have to SMS and then they'll reply. I asked them the reason and all most all of them said the same thing, it drains batteries.
Once I had been to a Samsung service center with my brother for his S2, there were 2 guys in the back row with their Note. I was there for about 30min. All they talk about was how to conserve battery if they install "...slimOS" then use background process killer, use antivirus etc etc. they did not speak anything what they can do with the phone, all about optimization. I think if those guys had iPhone they wouldn't have anything to speak and would've sat quite like me. iPhone users just us the phone.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Barometer, 2x RAM, NFC, more memory (via memory card support), wireless charging, higher resolution screen, additional baseband chip (allowing SGSIII to do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon). Perhaps more importantly - much more evolved mobile OS with features like file system and ability to run multiple apps on the screen simultaneously.

2x RAM ? that's just another pointless spec, memory management on iOS is better than android. Samsung can stick in all the RAM they want, but this is getting to the point where it's like having 8GB RAM on a pc vs a 16GB RAM one, doesnt really mean much for average users.

wireless charging? not exactly wireless if I have to carry a huge inductive pad.

higher resolution screen? that's because it's bigger. Apple could stuff in a 1080p 4" screen, but the human eye doesnt notice the 400ppi anyway.

Multiple apps on the screen simultaneously? Great idea for tablets, but putting that on a phone is simply ridiculous.

File system? most android users I know didnt purchase an android device for that reason. As a matter of fact, they dont even know what it is.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I wouldn't be surprised to see apple release a new iPhone early and piss off everyone who just bought an iPhone 5.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
this could be a sign of not necessarily slowing iphone sales but possibly apple putting in orders for a different screen size iphone, which would mean not just different screen orders but different parts too for a larger iphone casing.

Many possibilities. Many hopes...

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Does iCloud count as "web activity"? Because Apple made everything possible to force people to use their cloud. On Android, one can use memory card to copy files, on iOS one has to get very creative with DropBox or some other web based solution.

Google is your friend, web activity = app downloads, online shopping, web-browsing.

Last time I checked, google's flagship phone doesnt have a memory-card slot, I dont see you b***hing about it?

and no, most apps these days automatically sync with dropbox, so I dont see how SD cards are more convenient.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
this could be a sign of not necessarily slowing iphone sales but possibly apple putting in orders for a different screen size iphone, which would mean not just different screen orders but different parts too for a larger iphone casing.

Many possibilities. Many hopes...

Apple may deliver this year...it may have to.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Couple of obvious reasons for this decline

Only one phone model - in general, people do not like to "be" like others. With every second high schooler having an iPhone it is inevitable that people will start looking for alternatives.

Artificially high price. iPhone has the lowest BOM (bill of materials) among top of the line phones and yet Apple charges way higher prices for it.

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
I am part of the weak demand, I suppose...

Was an iPhone user up to the 4s, but after holding the Galaxy Note 2 in one hand, and iPhone 5 in the other, I went with Android and won't look back now. So much happier with Samsung hardware and Google software...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I see people complaining about the lack of inovation from the 4->4S->5 but what exactly did Samsung change from the S2 to the S3?
Increased the size of the phone,so did apple(sure they distributed the 0.5 inch more in a better way),faster internals,so did apple,redesigned the front and back of it but hey so did apple,I don't see why people claim that Apple hasn't innovated when Samsung did just the same Apple did.

They added:
Smart stay to keep the screen on when in use via eye tracking in the front facing cam.
S beam which uses NFC and WiFi to move large files between phones .
Best photo which takes 8 pictures in succession choosing the best shot taken in the burst.
AllShare Play which uses DLNA and Wifi-direct to wirelessly share media and files.
Photo share which will instantly push pictures to your friends galaxy s3 devices within range.
Social tag which integrates with the likes of Facebook to assist with tagging pictures of your friends.
Pop up play which overlays any videos you are watching over the phones GUI effacing you to watch the video and user your phone at the same time.
Multi window which enables the user to run two apps at the same time.
Improved TouchWiz interface - they actually made it stuck a lot less!

What they should have done is innovated some better internals and an extra row of icons...

The dock got an extra icon. Does that count? ;)

Last edited:

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California

Ed A.

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Southern Connecticut, USA
I think much of the problem is that Apple is perceived as being the money-grubbing bully now, as Microsoft used to be. That rubs many people the wrong way, so they're hoping for a fail from Apple and are quite receptive to the competition as an alternative.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Barometer, 2x RAM, NFC, more memory (via memory card support), wireless charging, higher resolution screen, additional baseband chip (allowing SGSIII to do simultaneous voice and data on Verizon). Perhaps more importantly - much more evolved mobile OS with features like file system and ability to run multiple apps on the screen simultaneously.

A barometer? Seriously?

As for the file system, that's a "geek" feature. Most smartphone users aren't concerned about it. NFC is somewhat gimmicky. Since Google Wallet has yet to take off, what use is it besides sharing x-rated movies with your spouse? And even the 5" screen isn't that conducive to multitasking.

Besides, much of what you brought up has long been a theoretical advantage of Android. Even my old Nexus One had better navigation (although now the best version of Google Maps is actually the iOS version).

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
They added:
Smart stay to keep the screen on when in use via eye tracking in the grin facing cam.
S beam which uses NFC and WiFi to move large files between phones .
Best photo which takes 8 pictures in succession choosing the best shot taken in the burst.
AllShare Play which uses DLNA and Wifi-direct to wirelessly share media and files.
Photo share which will instantly push pictures to your friends galaxy s3 devices within range.
Social tag which integrates with the likes of Facebook to assist with tagging pictures of your friends.
Pop up play which overlays any videos you are watching over the phones GUI effacing you to watch the video and user your phone at the same time.
Multi window which enables the user to run two apps at the same time.
Improved TouchWiz interface - they actually made it stuck a lot less!

What they should have done is innovated some better internals and an extra row of icons...

The sick got an extra icon. Does that count? ;)

that's funny because most S3 users I see dont use half of those features.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
I'm really skeptical that there is anything to this. For the last several quarters Apple has been gaining on Android and now has a 53% share in the US. The first weekend sales in the US and China were very good. Apple also introduced the iPhone 5 to a lot of countries before the end of the year. Now we are coming up on the Chinese New Year which is a gift giving season. I find it hard to imagine that iPhone sales are somehow in the tank. The iPhone 5 is an incredibly great device. If there is any truth to these rumors I suspect it to be the result of some sort of realignment of suppliers. Possibly it is someone spreading rumors in order to manipulate the stock price. Anyway, we'll learn something factual when earnings are released and we get guidance for next quarter.

Regardless if this is true or false it is likely to depress the stock price.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I think much of the problem is that Apple is perceived as being the money-grubbing bully now, as Microsoft used to be. That rubs many people the wrong way, so they're hoping for a fail from Apple and are quite receptive to the competition as an alternative.

As if Google is a saint? I hate that company. At least Apple doesn't scan my emails or force me to open up an e-mail account to even turn the phone on the way a certain company in Mountain View, CA does.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Prepping for iPhone mini release in March / April? :D
Tiny & cheap, the women & children will love these. "Cute" will be the prevailing description. Lots of cheery pastel colors will cement their position as a unique product.

It's a perfect way to save Apple from going one on one with the upcoming feature packed Androids. A brilliant strategy on Apples part. With their dominate influence over the user base, Apple will rake in even more revenue.

They'll be "the next little thing". :D

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Nothing cheap about it? The pentile screen, the plastic case, the bulky and thick design, the slow graphics. Should I continue? No? So go to spread your crap somewhere else. There is nothing inventive in a Samsung phone, the galaxy s 3 is just a bigger galaxy s 2. Nothing else.

Jesus, a little aggro... Anyone would think you were married to the iPhone, the way you go on ;)

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Apple needs to come out with a tough ad campaign against Samsung like it did against the PC. It also needs a major overhaul design of the OS. Plus integrated more with Apple TV and hopefully an actual TV design by Apple.

Needs to bring the Apps Store to Apple TV. That way they can start bringing Games and Apps. Many people have purchased many apps/music/movies/games on their iPhone/iPods/iPads that they would love to use it on their TVs. I'm sure the Devs would love it too because that would mean extra sales.

Also add more business friendly stuff to the iPhone/iPads like a Pen/Stylus. They really have to do something a bit radical. Give more freedom in the OS department like themes and widgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.