Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Google is your friend, web activity = app downloads, online shopping, web-browsing.

Last time I checked, google's flagship phone doesnt have a memory-card slot, I dont see you b***hing about it?

and no, most apps these days automatically sync with dropbox, so I dont see how SD cards are more convenient.

Google's flagship phone does not sell that well. It has very low market share. Most Android buyers buy Samsung phones and those do have memory cards. Most people these days do not use drop box, so having apps automatically sync with dropbox is irrelevant.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Only one phone model - in general, people do not like to "be" like others. With every second high schooler having an iPhone it is inevitable that people will start looking for alternatives.

Artificially high price. iPhone has the lowest BOM (bill of materials) among top of the line phones and yet Apple charges way higher prices for it.

Too similar, too many equals weak demand. We'll see how Apple massages this if it's true.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Nothing cheap about it? The pentile screen, the plastic case, the bulky and thick design, the slow graphics. Should I continue? No? So go to spread your crap somewhere else. There is nothing inventive in a Samsung phone, the galaxy s 3 is just a bigger galaxy s 2. Nothing else.

Android phones have nothing interesting besides being unbalanced products. Those 1080 screens are just marketing as all those phones have terrible battery performance and terrible performance in graphics. You like the iPhone or not, you can't deny that it's a great balanced phone which has the right screen size, performances and battery life which fit a thin and light design. Those giant android phones are stupid, just stupid bricks.

And for this WSJ report, this is BS because it says nothing? As long as they don't say by how much the part orders have been decreasing, their report says nothing. And the WSJ has been spreading fud on Apple for a while now.

The only reason the S3 is selling like hotcakes is because Samsung paid all the carriers to market the S3 heavily while offering massive discounts at the same time.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Which will bring what? A bigger screen? A faster quad core processor (not that there is much that actually uses all that power)? And maybe a GPU that catches up to the 4S?

Did a some searches. Widely reported to have these specs, Samsung showed off its new Exynos 5 in CES so it might be used for the SIV.

Widely reported to come with:
-5'' full 1080p HD display (441 ppi)
-Exynos 5 octa-core processor
-13MP front facing camera
-2GB RAM
-4G LTE
-Android 4.2 Jellybean

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Well that makes the S3 no different to the S2 then... Zero innovation Samsung. Zero.

What a clutz I am!

Well you did purchase a nexus 4, a phone that doesnt even have enough battery power for 5 hours of screen time, so what more can I say. :rolleyes:

mrxak

macrumors 68000
I've thought about buying a 5, but ONLY because I moved and Sprint has no data service here. (Considering picking up a Verizon unit, they have LTE coverage.)

The 'upgrade' killed Maps and YouTube, and there isn't a jailbreak out so the new phone is in many ways a couple steps back.

I predict that if a jailbreak ala Absinthe pops up, so will the iPhone 5 sales...

I think you are seriously overestimating how many people jailbreak.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Google's flagship phone does not sell that well. It has very low market share. Most Android buyers buy Samsung phones and those do have memory cards. Most people these days do not use drop box, so having apps automatically sync with dropbox is irrelevant.

'most people these days do not use dropbox", please, show me some statistics on that, or is it just some BS you are trying to feed me.

Most people these days have multiple devices on different platforms, which is why services like dropbox/google drive/skydrive are surging in popularity. Do you live in the stone age or something? I bet you also cling onto your little DVD drive to play movies.

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
Ok srsly SICK of the Android-using members who jump on EVERY negative article about Apple to declare their one-sided supremacy of Android OS. iOS is lagging behind, not innovative, boring? Yeah that's why in 2013 ANdroid manufacturers are still promising (and failing) "NO LAG this time!" on a flagship phone !

Better be boring than sucky.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Blame AT&T

Used to be they would give a special advance so you could get a subsidized phone when a new model came out, they stopped with the 4S and again with the 5. I won't even qualify for a new subsidized until a new one is about to come out so the 5 is of no real interest to me.

Yes the other new carriers have taken up the slack on the new model release but that is still disenfranchising many if not most of the original iPhone enthusiasts who used to upgrade each and every model when it came out.

They are going to have increased numbers of 'every other model' upgraders now and that will affect individual model number sales.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
And for this WSJ report, this is BS because it says nothing? As long as they don't say by how much the part orders have been decreasing, their report says nothing. And the WSJ has been spreading fud on Apple for a while now.

If I was a Wall Street Journal tech/business reporter, and some shady Korean man came up to me and handed me a few thousand dollar to entice me to spread negativity rumors and lies about Apple, while also blindly praising Samsung products.... sure why not. It's not like I'd ever get caught. And the masses are too stupid to question most rumors that come from "Mainstream Media". And even if a few skeptics question the article's credibility, it's not like a serious investigation will ever happen.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I mean any popular product is going to sell less after 4 months than it was selling at month 1. There reaches a point where the majority of people who want something all have it.

So to me it doesn't sound like this is any kind of a problem, just the natural slowing of purchasing as a product ages. Apple just adjusted their parts order accordingly.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Did a some searches. Widely reported to have these specs, Samsung showed off its new Exynos 5 in CES so it might be used for the SIV.

-2GB RAM
-4G LTE
-Android 4.2 Jellybean

Of those features, only the camera is really useful. We're at the point with PPI that it's become a "megapixel" war. Most people can't see the pixels at 300ppi, so going to 441 ppi is just overkill. It's the same with the 8-core processor. What exactly are people running on their phones that even requires 2 or 4 cores, much less 8? I thought the S3 already has 2GB RAM (and again, what are people running), as well as LTE and Android 4.2

binky777

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2008

-2GB RAM
-4G LTE
-Android 4.2 Jellybean

...and battery life? Malware? Apps?

louis.b

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Sydney
The only reason the S3 is selling like hotcakes is because Samsung paid all the carriers to market the S3 heavily while offering massive discounts at the same time.

Exactly! In Australia Optus, Telstra and Vodafone have been pushing Shamesung Galaxy s3 like CRAZY to leverage against Apple.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Well you did purchase a nexus 4, a phone that doesnt even have enough battery power for 5 hours of screen time, so what more can I say. :rolleyes:

I'm struggling figuring out what that has to do with improvements Samsung added to the Galaxy S3.

Care to enlighten a confused fellow Apple user?

(My Nexus 4 does me fine by the way but I do appreciate your concern.) :)

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I'm willing to bet that the weak demand is due to the lack of jailbreak. It sure is the reason why I never bought an iPhone 5. I would have loved the nice tall screen, but I'd rather stick with my jailbroken iPhone 4. It's just better.

I remember when they finally jailbroke the iPhone 4S, sales spiked by about 2 million units, if I recall.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Unless I'm reading this wrong, it looks like +17% in a year, no? Are you suggesting that the 17% happened within a month's timeframe and has since receded to the levels reported in 2011?

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/2...tphone-market-android-holds-strong-in-europe/

iOS did not grow 17% in marketshare since last year.

Yes during the timeframe from Sep-Nov iOS did exceed Android but that's not the change %. The change percent is compared iOS 5 during this time.

As you can see, the iPhone 5 and iOS 6 clearly gave Apple a boost.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Exactly! In Australia Optus, Telstra and Vodafone have been pushing Shamesung Galaxy s3 like CRAZY to leverage against Apple.

I hear commercials on the radio every single day in which canadian carriers would have some cheesy dialogues about how great the S3 is.:rolleyes:

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
I won't sell my stock tomorrow for two simple reasons.

1) This rumor sounds like a load of donkey dung. Unverified statements by "people familiar" that just happens to contradict every other data source. Not to mention. It references (rehashes?) "news" that was reported a month ago as the foundation for the claim.

2) Estimates for next year are allegedly $50-60. Lets assume they only report $40. Lets assume the ITV is released in October. Let's assume this adds $20 to their earnings for 2014 ( I have seen it estimated that it could add $40+). So, in 2013 they earn 45billion, 2014 60 billion, and 2015 65 billion ( let's assume iPhone sales slow and ITV only grows by 50%. Also lets assume iPad sales stall/ slow and certain analysts are right about them having no more ideas for new products)

Currrent Apple has 140billion in cash. 140 + 45 + 60 + 65 = 310billion in cash.

This assumes the bearish earnings case combined with no innovation and reduced margins. It also assumes App Store/ advertising revenue doesn't grow and that they are unable to monetize the Facebook relationship. It also assumes a China Mobile deal doesn't happen.

With the China Mobile deal that is predicted to be announced this week, we can expect a bullish case for sales to grow by 100-150% in 2013 and a bearish case for them to increase by 50%. Assuming the bullish case we should add 40-50 billion in earnings to the 2013 and 2014 calander year, and 35 billion to 2015 (let's assume something causes sales to slow/ margin pressure). Assuming the bearish case we add 20billion to 2013, 30 billion to 2014, and 15billion to 2015. Assuming the bear case ( my numbers are too low for obvious reasons), we see them having 400billion in cash by the end of 2015. This assumes no dividend increase/ share buy back.

Any objections? I see a serious problem with the calls for Apple to fall to $300. Anyone with a brain sees this scenario as happening. The bull case gives us 750billion + in cash by the end of 2015.

Even if carrier subsidies disappear ( a scenario that seems unlikely) Apple will sell 20million iPhones a quarter. People in Asia/ Europe are already paying full price for the phones. Sure, the low end market will slow dramatically, however, 80-100 million iPhones + 100million iPads + 40 million iPad minis + iAd revenue + itv revenue will keep them Very Profitable and earning 30-40billion annually for at least the next 5-6 years. I have a hard time believing they have no new products that will come out during that time/ plans for innovative ideas that have not been released.

Last edited:

Ed A.

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
Southern Connecticut, USA
If I was a Wall Street Journal tech/business reporter, and some shady Korean man came up to me and handed me a few thousand dollar to entice me to spread negativity rumors and lies about Apple, while also blindly praising Samsung products.... sure why not.

Sure, that's what happened. WSJ might have taken bribes from a shady Korean. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.